Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 697071  Next
Author Apple Presents iPhone 4
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2010-06-07 23:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Apparantly the iphone 4 picks up fingerprints on both sides quite badly according to one hands on reviewer

Domecot
Apple Iphone 5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-07 23:35

On 2010-06-07 23:34:03, julias wrote:
Apparantly the iphone 4 picks up fingerprints on both sides quite badly according to one hands on reviewer

i knew it would since it was leaked!
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-07 23:36

On 2010-06-07 23:23:35, Domecot wrote:
ok then. f*ck facetime & the second camera.
what is steve planning anyway? everyone in the world having an iPhone 4??? ...

Hmmm... let me see. I'll go with... YES!
Millions of iPhone 3G owners around the world (including me) are coming off contract in the next few months and AT&T in the US are allowing all iPhone customers whose contract ends at some point this year to upgrade early. Apple won't have any trouble selling iPhone 4's in fact they'll probably fly off shelves much like the iPad. In NZ iPhone dominates both the smartphone and feature phone market. That's not going to change.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-07 23:36
what will Uk prices be? usually higher than US if i'm right?
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2010-06-07 23:41

On 2010-06-07 23:36:49, PeterKay wrote:
what will Uk prices be? usually higher than US if i'm right?

Not sure of U.K prices yet but yes apparantly around 30% more
Domecot
Apple Iphone 5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-07 23:46

On 2010-06-07 23:36:01, carkitter wrote:

On 2010-06-07 23:23:35, Domecot wrote:
ok then. f*ck facetime & the second camera.
what is steve planning anyway? everyone in the world having an iPhone 4??? ...

Hmmm... let me see. I'll go with... YES!
Millions of iPhone 3G owners around the world (including me) are coming off contract in the next few months and AT&T in the US are allowing all iPhone customers whose contract ends at some point this year to upgrade early. Apple won't have any trouble selling iPhone 4's in fact they'll probably fly off shelves much like the iPad. In NZ iPhone dominates both the smartphone and feature phone market. That's not going to change.

didn't think of it like that but that's for NZ. I am talking for myself. SHould have been able to video-call with all phones who can do that. There are a LOT of people who have iPhone and love them but there are people who just don't like the iPhone and their number isn't that small . that just what i think.
Edit:
did you see this?
[ This Message was edited by: Domecot on 2010-06-07 22:47 ]
rss_ndrsn
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2010-06-07 23:52

On 2010-06-07 22:54:57, carkitter wrote:

On 2010-06-07 21:13:30, rss_ndrsn wrote:
The video call feature that most of us do not use will now be used more oftenly because of the IPhone 4. It seems that whatever Apple touches becomes gold. Good job SE for not including front camera on X10. ...

Face time only works from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 so if you have another type of phone with video calling your out of luck.

Can you imagine the criticism would get if they produced a smartphone which could only video call other smartphones of the same type? They would be laughed at by the whole industry. Why then can Apple get away with this? Sure they are introducing a new open video calling standard but who else have announced they will be picking this up? Would Android manufacturers really want to support Apple by joining their standard?

Actually, HTC has raised the video calling standard before Apple. HTC EVO 4G supports video calling up to 1.3 megapixel resolution which is backed by the Qik service by Sprint.

With regard the Face Time, first and foremost it is an "APPLICATION." Yes it will only work from IPhone 4 to IPhone 4, but it does not mean that third party applications can not make use of the video calling feature by IPhone 4. Also, by supporting video call feature, although it is limited to Wi-fi only at the moment (3G support on carriers is still being work on), it may push the carriers to offer a more affordable video call add-on to their wireless plans (in my opinion). Here in Canada, only Bell offers an $5 CAD add-on for video calling and Rogers charges it per minute. All is unclear right now about the video calling, but will know when Apple has already reached an aggrement with the carriers. (The details about what resolution it does stream over is still unclear - that might be the reason it is only compatible to IPhone 4 to IPhone 4 only.)

It is the marketing and trend command by Apple is what I like about them. Also, making boring features become lively and exciting like the video calling. The previous offerings from other manufacturers like Nokia and SE is still limited to CIf resolution and limted to 3G only. Can any SE phone make a video call using Wi-Fi? Like W995 or C905? The 3G is required right?

Apple has become an mobile industry leader in touchscreen phones since they announced IPhone 2G in 2007. Until now, all other manufacturers are still catching up. The fully touch-operated smartphone is the trend that Apple started and that only proves that SE and other manufacturers is joining Apple standard.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2010-06-07 23:43 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 00:20
Video calling via wifi is a bit odd actually.
If you have wifi coverage then your probably at home where you could use Skype. If you're out and about then you probably don't have wifi coverage in which case 3G makes sense. Sure I know there is such a thing as metropolitan wifi but it is not that common, certainly not enough to make all you calls using it. Unless you live at Starbucks.

I think the reason Video calling wasn't very successful on Nokia and was a combination of screen size and picture quality. In NZ most young people buy cheap call/txt phones without sophisticated features like video calling and those who buy high end phones other than iPhone generally don't bother with plan add-ons like data and video calling.

iPhone customers are more likely to try new features and pay more for add-ons they perceive will benefit them in some way.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2010-06-07 23:23 ]
p900 lover
W960
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 00:27
This is the first iphone im actually considering, no 64 gb version though? and also i have looked for a release date for the UK but couldn't find it, have i missed it somewhere?
Angello
S700
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 00:31
Release date is the 24th of June
domipost
Hazel
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-08 00:33
Whahahaha, Apple didn't introduce a single major new feature and regardless everybody is saying "oh" "ah" "wow" "cool". Blablablablablablabla. I like the iPhone OS, I like the apps, but what is really the difference between the original iPhone (with App Store later installed) and this one? Bit of speed, bit better camera, new design and higher res display. Wow, that's a lot of innovation in four year's time! Imagine what would've happened if SE did something like that? They would be long dead
rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 00:40

On 2010-06-08 00:20:24, carkitter wrote:
Video calling via wifi is a bit odd actually.
If you have wifi coverage then your probably at home where you could use Skype. If you're out and about then you probably don't have wifi coverage in which case 3G makes sense. Sure I know there is such a thing as metropolitan wifi but it is not that common, certainly not enough to make all you calls using it. Unless you live at Starbucks.

It is still a nice feature though. It gives the user an extra option.
Also, the video calling limited to wi-fi is just "temporary." Apple is still working it out with the carriers.

I think the reason Video calling wasn't very successful on Nokia and was a combination of screen size and picture quality. In NZ most young people buy cheap call/txt phones without sophisticated features like video calling and those who buy high end phones other than iPhone generally don't bother with plan add-ons like data and video calling.

That only proves my case even more about Apple making video calling more interesting. Apple has a big high resolution screen and high quality video call streaming (probably at VGA). Plus some 2 great microphones with active noise cancellation.

iPhone customers are more likely to try new features and pay more for add-ons they perceive will benefit them in some way.

Why not, eh? Especially, if you are going to get a nice deal for it.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2010-06-07 23:44 ]
rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 00:49
Does the IPhone 4 have built-in FM Radio? I browsed the Iphone 4 page but I did not find anything that says it has one.
Domecot
Apple Iphone 5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-08 01:00
isn't this interesting?
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 01:05
That's a good question. I'm sure if it did then Steve would have said so.
Apple are apparently working on some sort of cloud-based iTunes streaming service according to the blogosphere so they probably left FM radio out for that reason. Or perhaps the hardware is there just waiting for a future software update???
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 697071  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic