Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > The O2 iPhone discussion thread

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 151617  Next
Author The O2 iPhone discussion thread
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Bhavv:

Erm... where in that thread does it say anything about sales figures of 10-20 per store - let alone any official sales figures?

I think you're making stuff up again!

Sorry to burst your I-poo fantasy bubble, but theres literally no one anywhere buying one in the UK except for the initial sales to fanboys on friday.

Erm.. you're the one who said each store sold 10-20 iPhones - not me!

[ This Message was edited by: JoolsG4 on 2007-11-11 00:04 ]
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:04
@Jools

I fully appreciate what you are saying, that they make you aware before hand but that still does not make it legal as your are purchasing the phone outside of a contract!

They may well advise you of it but you do not have to sign anything to that effect therefore you are effectively buying a sim free unit to do with what you like, just because they say you have to use what they tell you doesn't mean it will stand up in court!
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:06
I thought I read somewhere that someone asked in the london stores how many they had sold, one had sold 20, the other 10. I'm sure I read it, but anyway, theres problably fewer people then that buying one anyway by the look of it

http://www.whatmobile.net/for[....]ost.php?p=222154&postcount=147

here it is, single post for you to see it.

check system for oxford street and they sold 30. my friend who works for carphone said they only sold 10 and shut early due to no customers,

i also walked past o2 and carphone where i live they were empty too.

drove past cpw and an o2 store today and normal for them

I'm pretty sure sales figures are only going to fall from here on and not improve.

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-11-11 00:09 ]
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:09
Ok i'll clear this 10-20 phones issue up a bit.

Was speaking to my mate who happens to be a manager of an o2 store in edinburgh and he told me they sold 24 on friday night and today at 3pm when i spoke to him they had sold 12 phones.

Not to shabby really!

oops typo meant 12 not 32 lol

A-ZoTT

[ This Message was edited by: Superluminova on 2007-11-11 00:12 ]
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:10
I think when you buy the iPhone you're actually purchasing it on the condition that you do sign-up to the contract in order to use it on O2.

Officially you shouldn't be able to activate the iPhone for use without signing up for the contract. No doubt a hack for that will be coming soon.

But if you choose to break the terms of the purchase - which are made clear before you buy - I don't really see how O2 can be legally liable to unlock the phone for you.

I'm sure Apple and O2's lawyers have covered their asses on this one!!
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:15
yeah Jools but if someone in the uk request an unlock for they're phone the network must provide them with it.

Saying that there is not maximum charge for the code!
OBEY GAINT
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:16

On 2007-11-11 01:09:56, Superluminova wrote:
Ok i'll clear this 10-20 phones issue up a bit.

Was speaking to my mate who happens to be a manager of an o2 store in edinburgh and he told me they sold 24 on friday night and today at 3pm when i spoke to him they had sold 12 phones.

Not to shabby really!

oops typo meant 12 not 32 lol

24 I-phones sold on its release day and 12 the next day for a store in Scotlands capital is lame. Disagree if you want, its pathetic sales figures.

The K850i sold out in 2 days on T-mobile. They got them in stock on thursday, I upgraded on friday, called on saturday and their systems were showing out of stock on the handset.

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-11-11 00:17 ]
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
I don't think they have gone into this blindly, but I cant understand why they have left themselves open? I mean why not get you to sign the contract and pick your tariff at the point of sale as is usual with all other phones and therefore covering their arses 100% as they are supplying you with a subsidised phone!

But then again, that said should I really be complaining as if they did as I suggested above I couldn't just go buy one and have it unlocked and hactivated as I am sure it will be possible soon!

I've confused myself again now, and have decided to take a back-seat as I have just proved to myself that the way they are doing it is best all round!
Jools
C510 Black
PM
@Bhavv

What a joke!

So, you're basing your whole UK iPhone sales claims on what one unknown person wrote in a single post, based on what his "friend who works for carphone" said?

Blimey, I hope you never go into journalism and need to back-up an of the stuff you write with proof!!

In that case, I can tell you that a bloke down the road, who's next door neighbour knows someone who walked past a CPW store today, said they'd sold 3 million iPhones in 30 minutes - so it must be true!!!

Come back when you've got some official sales figures to discuss.

The K850i sold out in 2 days on T-mobile. They got them in stock on thursday, I upgraded on friday, called on saturday and their systems were showing out of stock on the handset.

Once again, whereas super backs up his claims with actual numbers, you don't. What if t-mobile only had 10 K850's in? That's just 5 sold per day. Without actual official numbers, it all means nothing.

[ This Message was edited by: JoolsG4 on 2007-11-11 00:20 ]
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:19
Jools are you having a laugh? These are figures from London and Edinburgh...

Look at them again and tell me how many I-phones you think sold in cities with a quarter the population of these.

Seriously get a clue.

my bad i guess it may have just been outta london area's that didnt do well.

check system for oxford street and they sold 30. my friend who works for carphone said they only sold 10 and shut early due to no customers,

i also walked past o2 and carphone where i live they were empty too.

drove past cpw and an o2 store today and normal for them

30 phones in one store in london, 10 in another. 24 phones on release day in an O2 store in Edinburgh, 12 the next day. I will believe these figures untill you yourself can find out any more valid data.

The proof is right here, I dont need a journalism degree to read and understand these figures.

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-11-11 00:25 ]
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:24
maybe you two should wait for the official figures.

Oh and bhavv do you work in mobil retail?

because when a phone is released in store you normally get 5 - 6 max
OBEY GAINT
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:29
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

The figures super quoted were for ONE store in Edinburgh. We don't know which one - whether its a big one, a small one, a busy one or a quiet one...

Edinburgh has EIGHT O2 stores. So lets assume supers figure of 32 iPhones for that one store is accurate. Now get your calculator out and multiply 32 by 8 and it might give you a very rough estimate of how many they sold in the city as a whole.

Some of Edinburgh's O2 stores may have sold more, some may have sold less. We don't know.

Let's wait for the official figures...

And I really don't care how many they sold - but at least I don't make baseless claims about it.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:43
@JoolsG4

I think the point here is not really how many have already sold or even how many will eventually sell, but this is not the same reaction to the US launch not anywhere close. People whee queuing up overnight and they limited them due to demand. 02 and Apples 2 per person they should be so lucky just now.

I think one of the problems is not every one wants to have to spend £35pm and £630 over 18 months and be stuck with one phone that cost's them £269. Can some one tell me can you reactivate a iPhone with a new Sim and user as if not you can't even sell it.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-11 00:43 ]
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:59
@Dogmann

I totally agree with you. It was obvious long ago that the iPhone was never going to be the runaway success in Europe that it was in the US. It's simply too expensive compared to what we're used to paying for a phone here. And with the minimum £35 18-month contract on top it's just too much for a large number of potential purchasers (me included).

I wasn't trying to suggest sales were great - I simply don't know. Just trying to put some balance to Bhavvs unsubstantiated claims. In fact, in the four stores I went into today I didn't see a single iPhone sold - even though there was a steady stream of people viewing them. Most customers I overheard were definitely put off by the price, although impressed by the phone itself.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 02:14
Hi Jools G4

I do think think they are great especially as a Multimedia computer like an N series although i would say even an N series is better equipped software wise for some Buisness functionality. As for

"Just trying to put some balance to Bhavvs unsubstantiated claims"

@Bhav

What are you talking about with this

"most people buying apple products are pretty stupid. Its usually cases of just buying them as fashion accessories or because they are cool and everyone else has one so you must buy one too. Apple products are more of a trend for the average person, they don't actually favor technology or features whatsoever."

You really can't be serious you really think there are really that many people all buy iPods because they are rubbish do you, people in the Music business to whom sound is everything. I really used to think my mobile device's did a really good job with Music until i got an iPod, none of them get even close. iTunes is incredibly simple to use and produces great sound for an iPod if converted well and you use a decent set of headphones. It even does a good job for occasional Video watching podcasts or episode's of Hero's for example not great for watching a whole film though. Even though i am getting an N95 8GB i doubt it will replace my iPod for Music playback, video and films definitely.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-11 01:14 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic