Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Xperia Z Officially Announced

Previous  123 ... 203204205 ... 220221222  Next
Author Xperia Z Officially Announced
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-07-14 10:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The release they state there is the start of the rollout of the firmware.

For many years Sony have released their handsets in different 'kits' or 'customisations'. These kit numbers are unique to a network and/or region and/or country release. Often there are many different kit numbers (50 or more).

This update, as with all updates from Sony and SE before them, is released to some 'kits' before others, this is due to the FW being approved by those countries and/or networks and customisations being applied to suit.

This is why some Indian users may have already received their update and you haven't yet. Often some regions or customisations won't get the update for many weeks after the first kit has received it and some customisations might not even get a particular update if a network simply isn't happy (a recent example was O2 UK refusing the ICS update for Arc if I remember correctly, because they felt it was underperforming).

As for what you can do, there are three paths you can take whilst waiting for the update:

1. Wait and be patient
  2. Use a third party flashing tool and download a FW from a different kit
  3. Buy another phone (if you really don't like the way Sony handle updates, you could even buy another brand )

I recommend using flashtool and downloading a FW from another kit. I'm not sure I understand the fear of doing this, it is as safe as using the PCC update, exactly the same risks and no more (i.e. it will only fail if you do something like unplug it in the middle of the flash or your battery dies in the middle of the flash or you spill your coffee on your laptop).

If you use a flashtool to flash a different kit's FW you will still have all the functionality intended for the phone, nothing will break, but depending on the kit your have and the kit you flash there may be some regional specific apps missing or added e.g. the Singapore regional app has a Singaporean app market pre-installed, so I just deleted it as it's not relevant to me, the UK FW has BBC iPlayer pre-installed which I can just download that again from the Play Store. All the rest of the core apps are the same however.

If you want a bit of help getting started with flashing a different FW PM me and I'l layout some instructions.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
tapas123
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-18 18:05
Guys i have a small problem...

Navigation bar doesn't remain transparent.. I mean if i reboot the device, the bar remains transparent for 4-5secs
Then it becomes black... And it remains black forever unless i reboot again
alexander87
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-07-18 19:06

On 2013-07-18 18:05:14, tapas123 wrote:
Guys i have a small problem...

Navigation bar doesn't remain transparent.. I mean if i reboot the device, the bar remains transparent for 4-5secs
Then it becomes black... And it remains black forever unless i reboot again

Are you running stock 4.2.2?
There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed.
tapas123
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-18 21:30
^^^Yes
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2013-07-19 18:39
@Ricky_D Thanks a lot bro. I think I'll just wait for the update since I'm in no hurry at all. I might even sell XZ and get XZ Ultra. Let's see.
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
Big_D
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2013-07-20 04:37
anyone bought the T-Mobile USA version? how is it?

T-mobile USA network.
Xperia x10i unlocked + 32GB / Xperia Neo
Xperia TX LT29i
Xperia Z C6606
Xperia L C2104
Xperia M Dual C2004
Currently using Xperia Z1s C6916 (T-Mobile USA)
Oogamous
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-07-21 11:37
My Xperia X10 is now dying on me and it's time to look for a new phone.

Considering buying the Xperia Z. Reading through this thread it seems like most of you are happy with it?

Should I just go ahead and buy the Xperia Z?

I Need a new phone now and cannot afford to wait to see what Honami has to offer. Will the Xperia Z continue to be supported by Sony through 2014?

Thanks

Sony all the way
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-21 13:03
^Oogamous

Now that's a good question that probably nobody will be able to answer

We can only assume that at worst you'll get support like Xperia S did and it means 18months or something like that or Sony really did learn a thing or two about customer satisfaction and they won't abandon it when new devices come next year and extend this period to 24 months, that would be something I would be happy with
bronxdude
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
PM
Posted: 2013-07-21 16:58
Guys, anyone encountering an issue with the pics not loading completely when connected to a PC? All my pics are stored in the memory card, and when I connect them to my PC to transfer the files, its not being read completely. Only a few pics are being shown. But its all there when I view it from my phone.
[ This Message was edited by: bronxdude on 2013-07-21 15:58 ]
Luca-S
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2013-07-22 02:40

On 2013-07-21 16:58:09, bronxdude wrote:
Guys, anyone encountering an issue with the pics not loading completely when connected to a PC? All my pics are stored in the memory card, and when I connect them to my PC to transfer the files, its not being read completely. Only a few pics are being shown. But its all there when I view it from my phone.
[ This Message was edited by: bronxdude on 2013-07-21 15:58 ]

Format your sdcard using PC to exFAT. (uncheck quick format,and make a backup before,of course )
Are you nervous?
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-07-22 05:14
@Oogamous

All the top end handsets from Sony have had their last major update around 18 months after release so I expect Z would definitely get android 4.3 (if that's what it's going to be) and will get whatever is the next big update next summer. After that it will likely only get one or maybe two bug fix updates.

Take Xperia S as an example (ignoring the delays due to internal restructuring). It was released in early 2012, has had the 4.2 update, but won't get the 4.3 update at the end of the year (about 18 months of updates). T/TX was released in Autumn 2012 and will likely get 4.3 this end of year but not whatever is next summer. Previous to those Arc S got 1 major update more than Arc which was released 6 months prior.

The pattern goes back to the X10 which was where the company was finding it's feet with android development.

In short Z will get major updates till the end of next summer.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Oogamous
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-07-22 06:07
Thank Ricky D...

I will go ahead and buy the Z.... I hope Sony doesn't abandon it too soon.
Sony all the way
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-07-22 09:36

On 2013-07-22 05:14:12, Ricky D wrote:
@Oogamous

All the top end handsets from Sony have had their last major update around 18 months after release so I expect Z would definitely get android 4.3 (if that's what it's going to be) and will get whatever is the next big update next summer. After that it will likely only get one or maybe two bug fix updates.

Take Xperia S as an example (ignoring the delays due to internal restructuring). It was released in early 2012, has had the 4.2 update, but won't get the 4.3 update at the end of the year (about 18 months of updates). T/TX was released in Autumn 2012 and will likely get 4.3 this end of year but not whatever is next summer. Previous to those Arc S got 1 major update more than Arc which was released 6 months prior.

The pattern goes back to the X10 which was where the company was finding it's feet with android development.

In short Z will get major updates till the end of next summer.

Xperia S got 4.1.2, not 4.2.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Luca-S
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2013-07-22 11:00
It will receive 4.2.2,first buildings are being tested.
[ This Message was edited by: Luca-S on 2013-07-22 10:00 ]
Are you nervous?
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-07-22 16:47
AFAIK, Xperia S already done with 4.1.2
4.2.2 and Snapdragon S3 family has a set of incompatible important drivers.

Not only Sony products will suffer of this plague
but every device used Snapdragon S3 would never reach to 4.2.2 update
Have you heard a recently case with HTC One S's update issue?
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 203204205 ... 220221222  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic