Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > google releases gmaps native uiq3 client

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author google releases gmaps native uiq3 client
simonf7
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-03-01 15:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I had my location work on my w960 last night whilst at home. Even though connected via wi-fi, Google Maps brought up the 3G connection and used that.

My Location didn't work at work though, where there is no 3G coverage?

Si
eske
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-04 12:07
This is brilliant!!

I've been away the last week so i was totally unaware that the new version had been released. (thread name updated now)

I'm with O2 in Ireland - and the my location feature works really well.

nice
chadi_1984
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-03-04 14:45
Simply waw ! thats amazing !
tesssst
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-04 14:53
So my location isnt working with simple GSM and Wi FI on UIQ3 P1i?
correct?

I get 'your current location is TEMPORARY unavailable' on WIFI

[ This Message was edited by: tesssst on 2008-03-04 13:58 ]
scotland67
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-04 16:50
Per earlier in this thread...

I'm on O2-UK network (maybe difference on other networks?)...
My Location appears to only work when no 3G signal (so normal GSM/GPRS signal only). Hopefully, Google will fix this? Guess, since O2's "top" product is iPhone with Google Maps, and iPhone is non-3G then maybe O2 haven't "allowed" 3G-based My Location yet? Just a thought?

Also, if you look at the bottom of the Help;About screen you should see a "myl:...." string of id's. It's this that Google use to derive your approximate location (I believe). So, if you are on WIFI, then it will simply pass the "myl:..." string per the current GSM/GPRS signal... thus it "appears" to work via WIFI (when actually it's still using the mobile network signal location, only the traffic is now being passed via WIFI/internet rather than mobile web).

That's my thoughts to date!
djrumbu
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-03-04 19:36
i just installed google maps on my p1i, it works verry well, its much better that tha java one, but You location is temporary unavailalbe, beacause i live in romania, brasov city and that's not in gmaps database YET. i hope.
gutzanu
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-05 01:26
It's funny because in some locations of Bucharest (Romania) sometimes the 'my location' works and sometimes doesn't.
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 08:32
Here in Amsterdam it works very well,much better and faster than the old version .... also the touch screen works well with it.
thank you!
tesssst
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 10:55

On 2008-03-04 16:50:28, scotland67 wrote:
Per earlier in this thread...

I'm on O2-UK network (maybe difference on other networks?)...
My Location appears to only work when no 3G signal (so normal GSM/GPRS signal only). Hopefully, Google will fix this? Guess, since O2's "top" product is iPhone with Google Maps, and iPhone is non-3G then maybe O2 haven't "allowed" 3G-based My Location yet? Just a thought?

Also, if you look at the bottom of the Help;About screen you should see a "myl:...." string of id's. It's this that Google use to derive your approximate location (I believe). So, if you are on WIFI, then it will simply pass the "myl:..." string per the current GSM/GPRS signal... thus it "appears" to work via WIFI (when actually it's still using the mobile network signal location, only the traffic is now being passed via WIFI/internet rather than mobile web).

That's my thoughts to date!

Have you actually tried this?
Because I have and it doesn't work - both on 3g and GSM - "temporary unavailable"
I get the ID alright in the about

So anyone that actually TRIED it and knows how it works - pls do enlighten us

thank you
ken2mj
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 11:44
perhaps it doesnt work on 3g because it needs 3 masts to triangulate your location, if you live in an area with only 1 or 2 3g masts, my location would not work.

maybe
scotland67
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 12:35

On 2008-03-05 10:55:48, tesssst wrote:

Have you actually tried this?
Because I have and it doesn't work - both on 3g and GSM - "temporary unavailable"
I get the ID alright in the about

So anyone that actually TRIED it and knows how it works - pls do enlighten us

thank you

YES...
Last Friday when I was initially having probs getting My Location to work - I was in office/same location all day with good 3G signal - My Location did NOT work.

On way home, 3G signal drops in/out constantly (travelling on train), and the My Location was working tracking my position all way home (from the non-3G signals I guess).

At home, I then disabled 3G via settings, and consistently the My Location worked. Switch 3G back on via settings - My Location did NOT work.

However, haven't confirmed the WIFI part.
Kashee
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 12:36
Brilliant! Love it. Worked like a treat on my W960i. Would be nice if you could sign in with your Google ID and access your saved favourite maps.
MnM
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 14:07
Can't seem to get My Location working except on WLAN - as this is at home I already knowwhere I am anyway.

Also it does not have Favorites as on the Vodafone Java edition - this was quite useful.

Incidentally why the suggestion that My Location is triangulating off base stations? I think it is just showing location of the base station with strongest signal. Thoughts anyone.

Incidentally I'm on Vodafone UK
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-05 14:42
Guys My Location has NOTHING to do with 3G.
In my city, where full 3G signal is everywhere,
where I live this feature in unavailable,
but in different parts of the city it works perfectly.
mobman
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 15:26
it just seems to me that some of the 3g masts that o2 use are not in googles database - i'm sure this can be fixed. the program does not triangulate - it seems to place the dot where the mast is located.

when i'm at home (with 3g off) the my location feature always works and it shifts between 2 masts around 1500m apart. Its a shame it doesn't use info from both masts because if it did it would be far more accurate.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi