Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 151617 ... 202122  Next
Author Nokia N97
shanespencer
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-30 22:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'd like to mirror the comments by dgable, although I got a black one SIM-free rather than the white one. The keyboard is really nice, but it's not for everyone, it seems. Startup RAM is about 45MB, although this tends to drop down to about 25-28MB after a while. This doesn't slow the phone down though. Hopefully a future firmware update (there's one out tomorrow) will boost a RAM a little.

Battery life is pretty good, IMO. On Sunday I was out with it, and I made a few short calls, went on Facebook, posted to Twitter a few times and took some photos - the battery didn't start to drop until the next morning!

Here are a couple of images I took:

voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 12:55
i also got a black one the other day and have to say i love it... battery life is great, camera is ok and touchscreen is good.

Hoping as well that the RAM is upped a bit in the FW update but using taskman in a clever way helps with low RAM moments.
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 13:49
45mb ram on start up? Doesn't that seem a bit low. My P1 currently has 65-70mb on start up after loading the necessary programs it drops to about 60-65mb and after a couple of days it goes to about 50-55mb.

I'd be looking forward to the update in regards to the firmware and ram usage when you guys get a chance.

Also is there anyway of getting some full size snaps from the phone?

Many thanks
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 16:17
You can get upto 60mb RAM with the Widgets turned off if you want more RAM AFAIK.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 18:23
@dgable: nice pictures man. Thanks for that. Is your E71 fully black?

@shanespencer: nice outdoor pics. Could you post your unit picture? Actually I’m planning to get one within few days but can’t decide which one I should go (black/white).

@voda_jon: congratulation buddy. Please write a small review.

There is new firmware out today. If you update your device please inform us, how much it improves.
dgable
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 20:27
@ adnansanni - thanks dude no my e71 is the chrome version with charcoal keypad a lady in work had the all black e71 on orange and it was very nice!
Tried the firmware update before and it looks like its not out yet for the uk variant as it said my phone was already upto date.
Can't say i've had any issues with lack of ram yet but them i've nothing to install on it until the n97 is hacked!

on a side note my e75 died this morn had to do a hard reset checked the firmware on NSU for e75 and that was upto date too
Will a phone manufacturer give us personalised txt alerts as a standard feature plz!
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-07-01 20:29
Well this is my first proper full day using the phone as my main phone and here is my little review about it!

Looks
Its not to everyones liking but i find butch, industrial style phones to be quite appealing. There is a good weight to this handset and that again is a plus for me... Never feels like i'm going to lose it and it also doesnt feel cheap one little bit!

Using the Handset
The phone i used before this was an iPhone 3G. The touchscreen on the N97 is Resistive in comparison to the iPhone capacitive screen is not as good but still is very usable and good at recognising all the gestures needed to operate the phone. You do have to press the screen a little to select items but thats Resistive touchscreens for yeh!

The operating system is not great. It needs a lot of work doing to it to make it more usable... Take selecting options in the menu. Some require one press some require two... gets a bit confusing sometimes!!!!

Apart from being a touchscreen its basically Series 60 but more touchy!!!

Battery Life
I've had it on all day today with wifi searching on. I recieved 34 sms, 2 mms, 4 calls totaling just under 15 mins, and kept checking twitter and facebook about 15 times during the day. The batter hasnt reduced by anything on the screen itself!!!

Overall opinion
I like this phone a lot! and hope that the new fw will increase the RAM available and maybe increase the overall operating speed a bit... FW V11 isnt available on NSU yet but once i have this updated i will review again to see the differences....

Oh and did i mention... 32Gb of built in storage and after adding my new 16gb micro SD card i now have 48Gb of storage available to me!!! BONUS!

@dgable.... doesnt need to be hacked... i av installed a few cracked apps on the N97 no problems... just switch the install menu from signed only to all... works a treat!
[ This Message was edited by: voda_jon on 2009-07-01 19:30 ]
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-07-02 12:29
Ok so am waiting for this firmware update to go live as the phone locking issue is doing my head in... not a huge problem but nevermind.

Still loving this phone a lot and this FW update will make it an even more enjoyable experience!!!
shanespencer
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-02 22:26
@adnansanni Here are some full-size examples. Not the best, I'll admit, but they'll give you some idea...

In the garden, in the evening (slightly low light)
http://shanespencer.co.uk/n97/garden.jpg

A toy bear in the kitchen. Sitting in a dark kitchen, with only a small lamp on (flash fired)
http://shanespencer.co.uk/n97/pooh.jpg

Taken in the hall, which was in total darkness
http://shanespencer.co.uk/n97/hall.jpg

I'm not too impressed with the last one; a xenon flash would clearly improve the situation. Having said that, I'm not really using the N97 as my 'camera', so I don't really have high expectations. It's nice to have, but my LX3 is small enough to carry around in my pocket for photos.

I updated my firmware this evening, and all seems good. I never really had the lock/unlock bug, so there's no improvement there. The screen seems more responsive - I noticed that right away. As for RAM, there isn't much of an improvement in my case. Actually, I still had 46MB of RAM free with the widgets loaded. I can still do everything that I want on the N97 without it crashing or slowing down so again, no problems for me.

@voda_jon: I don't know if you've read some of the threads on other forums, but it seems that many who have changed their product codes to debrand their Vodafone N97s have bricked their phones when updating, so if yours is a Vodafone model and you're thinking of upgrading, you might want to tread carefully. I was really worried before updating mine, but the temptation to upgrade was too great!
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-07-02 22:59
Thank you for the full size snaps. I must admit the first one is not that bad at all.

Given that I would never expect to use that as a dedicated camera for night shots and would be taking morning, afternoon and early evening shots it would seem to be suitable for these types of pictures.

How was the shutter lag on this? If i remember correctly the N95 on one of the older firmwares had a horrid shutter lag, which would require the camera to remain very still to process the image accordingly.

Is it the same here?
shanespencer
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-02 23:10
Oh, that's a good question! There may well be some shutter lag, but I guess the fact that I haven't noticed it or even thought about it should tell you that if there is any lag, it isn't much.

I've just sat here and tested the time it takes to a) take a picture after opening the lens cover and b) process an image after snapping. The answer (in my case, anyway) is 4-5 seconds for both. That is, the focus will kick in 4-5 seconds after opening the cover, and you'll have to wait 4-5 seconds for the photo to be process. That's at maximum resolution, by the way.
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-03 03:42
i'm thinking of getting an N97 but i have a question: if i load 2000+ songs in the phone, does the music player take a long time to start up? my previous experience with nokias was that when i'd load a substantial amount of files, it would take the apps quite a while to start up. has this been improved?

thanks!
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-07-03 05:38
@shanespencer: thanks man. I assume from your pictures that N97 can take decent pictures with efficient light. Not best but not bad. The colors are more accurate than others high-end phone IMO.
Another question: How is the total OS? Is it enough for working with only finger? Or sometime looks to need stylish?
shanespencer
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-03 08:52
@adnansanni: Yeah, the camera is fine for taking shots in good light; perfectly acceptable and like you say, the colours are pretty accurate (better than the N95's original firmware).

The OS is pretty standard S60 fare; I'd never used S60 V5 before - the most recent I'd used is S60 V3 FP1 - but I had no real issues finding my way around. As someone on another forum said, it's essentially S60 but with touch capability. It can be a little frustrating at times; some items need touching twice while others only need one touch (and there seems to be no pattern for this), and there's no multi-touch. The OS isn't as slick as the iPhone's, but I think that's to be expected.

@senninha I'm afraid I can't answer that, as I haven't loaded that much data onto my phone. I think I have about 10GB of music on mine, and the music player is fine.
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-07-03 09:45
@shanespencer... tis ok i updated via Phoenix last night so all FW V11 updated lol...

OVerall after the update my phone seems a lot quicker than before and thankfully i can lock and unlock without any problems!!!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 151617 ... 202122  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic