Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P800 in graphite finish looks awesome!!! Check out the pics'

Previous  1234  Next
Author P800 in graphite finish looks awesome!!! Check out the pics'
PAYBACK
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-23 20:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Me think MAXPOWER just got an order for a role of fake CF lol and he's sticking it on as we speak , come now post the pictures,just put a mirror in front of your camera lense and press the CAM button hehehe
mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-09-23 21:14
offtopic: hmmmm.... I thought that the mca-25 is better than the p800 one (al leat my mca-20 is, or I got that wrong......)

ontopic: why don't you borrow a REAL camera an post those pics
prodjsxb
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-23 21:22
Ok remembering that the first set are with a t300 and the second set are with a p800... I promise I will get a normal camera and take better detailed pics for you, just give me a little time... sorry about the size, but they are small file sizes anyway.

t300 cam shots

ok, this is supposed to be a shot of what the key pad looks like in the dark, all lit up... looks nice to the naked eye anyway, and boy was it hard to patiently mask off each key and trim around them. Damn low light issues!!!

p800 cam shots

note that I DID NOT paint the back of the actual key pad, this allows light to pass through and you will still be able to see the keys at night.

hopefully they turn out, this is my first time posting pics' on here...

[ This Message was edited by: prodjsxb on 2003-09-23 20:31 ]
Fahed_2000
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-23 21:26
Lovely, paint job
you should open up a shop for mobile phone paintjobs, and charge £20 + materials
Good Shit, Bad Shit, It's all Shit
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-23 21:26
looks good

thought of p810 when i saw it
prodjsxb
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-23 21:34
that p810 was my inspiration too mixin!!! lol.

you guys really like it? they pics arent too big are they? well they arent too detailed though My gf thought I was nuts to do this, then i explained it is an extra housing, i can always go back... she didn't mind then but still likes the purty blue and silver do... bleh
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-23 21:38
ill have to ask about methods of painting

need to prepare for my pink800!

how did you do it then? ive never done anything remotely similar
marky-mark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-09-23 21:56
I think i'm going to paint mine too, but i do have one question, how did you paint the front of the keypad without overspray on the buttons. does it split open?
prodjsxb
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-23 22:05
well first you have to disassemble the whole phone, including the little plastic piece that directs the led lights over the speaker (plenty of threads explaining how to do this on here, ) I found that blue tack stuff that is used to stick up photos works good to seal the camera lens (on both sides) so that you dont have to break the glue. For the keypad you mask off the entire front and press down over the keys to reveal the shape of the keys, cut around the keys and remove excess, also tape off back too as shown in final pics. make sure all parts are clean and free of grease, a good paint will stick, but plastic primer helps. they even sell paint specifically for plastic. put the top portion and battery portion back onto the back side of the phone (unless you really feel like painting the inside of the battery compartment) lay your pieces on a wide surface and after thoroughly shaking the can (this is very important to ensure an even finish) spray from off to the side and with a sweeping motion over the item and off to the other side, dont be stingy about it to save paint, it works waay better this way (trust me I have been painting models and custom painting car parts for people for about 12 years now, so I am real good at it) repeat over all the sides of the housing and keypad... oh yeah you can hold the key pad with the blue tack in a vertical position on top of the surface you are painting on (make sure the flip is in the open position) dont forget the little recess where the stylus mounts. spray over and over overlapping your previous sweeps, and keep your distance, a light dusting effect works way better than up close saturation, besides when over lapping the dusting blends well as it is still wet and eventually gives you a nice finish. if you plan on clear coating you have to make sure you do it within the first 2 hours depending on your paint, or it will wrinkle the finish. DO NOT ATTEMPT A RECOAT AFTER THIS TIME, YOU'LL BE SORRY!!! Let dry by your chosen method but please dont blast it upclose with a hair dryer or heat gun... I like the gentle oven method because it drys smooth and also it is kept away from the elements like pets, bugs and nosy people who must touch a freshly painted surface

Hope this has been helpfull, enjoy!!!
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-23 22:17
what temperature in the oven then??
prodjsxb
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-23 22:26
the lowest it will go, on mine it is just warm enough to keep food warm or something like that, you can turn it on and off breifly to maintian a temp if your oven doesnt have that feature but pre heat the oven first to be sure and keep your phone on a cardboard surface so that you dont have it exposed to the grill which will eventually build up heat, in the middle or upper racks. Oh and I almost forgot, remove the SE logo from the battery cover (before paining), this is done by pushing a thin sharp object like a pin through the little hole on the inside of the battery cover, emblem will pop out, you will notice it is still sticky, so you can out it back on later... and after the oven for a good 5 or more hours, take it out and let it cool and dry for another day or more (if you are patient enough) to properly cure the paint and allow it to harden, the longer it is in the oven the better it will turn out, also letting dry after for a couple of days will help.

So if anyone is gonna do it, please post your pics (no photoshop jobbies please... ahem @ mixin) LOL

lets see who can come out with a creative finish, I almost did a chrome illusion paint job on this one, but when I saw the graphite finish at 1/3 the price I was all over it... maybe I will get another housing later and do that too!!!

Laterz!!!

[ This Message was edited by: prodjsxb on 2003-09-24 07:06 ]
marky-mark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-09-23 22:28
cheers dude, i;ve decided to get a spare housing to paint, then if it does go pete tong i can still use my phone!!! but thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.
prodjsxb
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-23 22:33
go pete tong??? LOL
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-23 22:34
Quote: