Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014

Previous  123 ... 888990 ... 414415416  Next
Author SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2014-01-12 20:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
They need to make the ultra smaller in the next version. Sony made a gamble when they decided to have such a big screen but it failed and the ultra only has a niche market. Sad but true. 6 inch is what I'm hoping for
milukugiuniu
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 03:53
ZU's size is fine for me because I use SBH-52 to make phone calls. I suggest the people use SBH-52 who think it's too big to handle.

I didnt buy ZU untill SBH-52 was launched. IMO, it's a bit akward to hold ZU to make a phone call.
Wintermute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 05:21
I'd be incredibly disappointed if the next ZU were smaller. If they made the body size a little smaller and kept the same screen size (just reducing bezels) that'd be fine (although I'd still prefer they expand the screen size and keep the body size the same), but if the screen is smaller...I don't know if I'd buy it. That huge display is just too nice to give up. And with phones getting bigger (don't know if it's still current, but the rumor was that the Galaxy S5 was going to have a 5.25" display), I don't think I'd agree that Sony's "gamble" failed. It's not like they staked their entire mobile division on this one phone. The first Note didn't sell that well either. But let's not kid ourselves--regardless of some complaints on forums, the trend is still for phones to get bigger. I don't hear anybody I know (except maybe my dad) complain about phones being too big.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-01-13 06:48
I too like the 6.4" screen and the body size is something I could deal with and even grow to love. I just hope the next one is as slim as (or as near enough) 6.5mm.

In terms of holding a handset that size to my face for a phone call, who makes phones calls nowadays anyway? my voice call counter is at 1h2m on my 9 months old Z and half of that I used a headset with in-line mic.

My concern is that it might flex and break n my pocket when I sit. I guess I'll be putting on the table everywhere I go.

....just realised I've already convinced myself to buy Z Ultra.

Does anybody have any idea exactly how much better S805 is than S800? I'm talking about benchmark percentage increases, core architecture, GPU core architecture etc. I have a feeling the S805 is nothing groundbreaking, just a the same again but a bit faster. Certainly not like the steps between X10 and Arc or S and Z (which were at 1 year increments also).
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Wintermute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 07:45

On 2014-01-13 06:48:03, Ricky D wrote:
I too like the 6.4" screen and the body size is something I could deal with and even grow to love. I just hope the next one is as slim as (or as near enough) 6.5mm.

In terms of holding a handset that size to my face for a phone call, who makes phones calls nowadays anyway? my voice call counter is at 1h2m on my 9 months old Z and half of that I used a headset with in-line mic.

My concern is that it might flex and break n my pocket when I sit. I guess I'll be putting on the table everywhere I go.

Does anybody have any idea exactly how much better S805 is than S800? I'm talking about benchmark percentage increases, core architecture, GPU core architecture etc. I have a feeling the S805 is nothing groundbreaking, just a the same again but a bit faster. Certainly not like the steps between X10 and Arc or S and Z (which were at 1 year increments also).

I use a headset to make calls with my ZU, and I've found that I prefer this, even compared to using a regular size phone against my ear.

About the S805, the CPU should be basically the same. Qualcomm says the CPU is more efficient and it now goes to 2.5 GHz, but that's about it. The Adreno 420 is supposed to be significantly more powerful: about 40% faster clock-for-clock, though I'm not sure if power consumption is the same or not. Peak memory bandwidth doubles, though, to 25.6 GB/s. The S805 supports more than 4 GB of RAM, and also features hardware h.265 decode, so battery life should be better when watching certain types of video. Source: http://anandtech.com/show/753[....]rface-d3d11class-graphics-more

Pretty nice SoC, although in light of the CPU performance of Apple's A7 and some of Intel's upcoming Atoms, I'm disappointed that Qualcomm hasn't done more to upgrade their CPU performance. I hope that Sony will keep their minds open and consider using the Denver version of Tegra K1 for the ZU successor. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I think Nvidia may have finally nailed it with this one.
[ This Message was edited by: Wintermute on 2014-01-13 06:45 ]
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 09:30
about the z ultra size, maybe i wouldn't care about its height if they packed the same camera with flash as in the z1 and bigger battery.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-01-13 08:31 ]
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 10:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?[....]=player_embedded&v=h1uKVeM8ZKs
This is an Honk Knog commercial for new candies! except for the hilarious sexual theme, is that a purple xperia Z1 she is holding at the beginning?

NEW ADVERTISMENT FROM SONY

with the BE MOVED theme and union between artist and engineer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?[....]38u0U0&feature=player_embedded
SKEPTIKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?[....]A8xHPM&feature=player_embedded

maaan! I love the first AD!
[ This Message was edited by: CrownedAkuma on 2014-01-13 09:56 ]
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 13:49
So does Be Moved replace the Make.Believe theme? or is that still on?
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 14:47
"We are Engineers, But we are also artists" I like that statement very much , defines Sony very well.
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 15:21

On 2014-01-13 07:45:18, Wintermute wrote:

On 2014-01-13 06:48:03, Ricky D wrote:

I use a headset to make calls with my ZU, and I've found that I prefer this, even compared to using a regular size phone against my ear.

About the S805, the CPU should be basically the same. Qualcomm says the CPU is more efficient and it now goes to 2.5 GHz, but that's about it. The Adreno 420 is supposed to be significantly more powerful: about 40% faster clock-for-clock, though I'm not sure if power consumption is the same or not. Peak memory bandwidth doubles, though, to 25.6 GB/s. The S805 supports more than 4 GB of RAM, and also features hardware h.265 decode, so battery life should be better when watching certain types of video. Source: http://anandtech.com/show/753[....]rface-d3d11class-graphics-more

Pretty nice SoC, although in light of the CPU performance of Apple's A7 and some of Intel's upcoming Atoms, I'm disappointed that Qualcomm hasn't done more to upgrade their CPU performance. I hope that Sony will keep their minds open and consider using the Denver version of Tegra K1 for the ZU successor. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I think Nvidia may have finally nailed it with this one.
[ This Message was edited by: Wintermute on 2014-01-13 06:45 ]

pretty useless even if they can clock it up to 3GHz when there is constant down clock whenever it gets hot. Problems with snapdragon for a while. Thats why mediatek look promising because they manage to solve that at least according to them anyway. I think someone told me nVidia charge too much for their tegra so its never really popular among the OEM, I guess thats why we barely see much of Tegra 4. And they never seems to be as good as nVidia has claim either.
Felimenta97
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-01-13 15:59
@Gitaroo

The Snapdragon processors downclock as a safety measure, not just downclock on its own. When it reaches a certain temperature (I think it is 50 or 55 Celsius), it downclock as not to cause damage to it. I know that devices that run at 1.5 GHz, go to 810 MHz. Other stock speeds, I don't know...
I don't get people. Never Have, never will.
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 16:10
thats the problem that exist on snapdragon more than others, the performance is not very consistence. Mediatek claim that they might not have the best benchmark score but they manage to keep the performance steady. If theres anything Qualcomm should do, this should be the first issue they look into.
MartenR
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 16:24
Is there any UI overhaul on the horizon?
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 16:48

On 2014-01-13 16:24:58, MartenR wrote:
Is there any UI overhaul on the horizon?

I'd really want a facelift, the UI although praised for being close to Vanilla is getting kinda boring to look at. Or it's the wallpaper that makes it look like so.

Anyway, MartenR is that from Questionable Content?
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-01-13 16:56

On 2014-01-13 15:21:01, Gitaroo wrote:

pretty useless even if they can clock it up to 3GHz when there is constant down clock whenever it gets hot. Problems with snapdragon for a while. Thats why mediatek look promising because they manage to solve that at least according to them anyway. I think someone told me nVidia charge too much for their tegra so its never really popular among the OEM, I guess thats why we barely see much of Tegra 4. And they never seems to be as good as nVidia has claim either.

Actually, what makes Tegra 4 rare is coz of it's high power consumption While NVIDIA did something smart by having that companion core, but in most cases that core is only running while the phone is in standby... while idle the SoC will switch to the 4 A15 Cores... and while These cores can scale good from low to high depending on the task, A15 by it self even in the lowest state consume too much for a mobile SoC.. even if only one core is enabled...

ARM know this and that's why they started with the idea of LITTLE.big they designed A15 to be high-performance ( that's why it has Out-Of-Order arch. ), and this kind of performance comes with high power demand even in it's lowest state... basically A15 can't scale well in the low side of power it's not efficient at these low power, so ARM designed A7 to fill that gap in the low side...

This is the exact reason why you didn't saw any A15 quad only SoC in the wild, Dual A15, Quad LITTLE.big or Octa LITTLE.big...
And just remember Samsung first pathetic take in the OctaCore in the S4 ( i9500 ), the switching between both A15 side and A7 wasn't perfect, and early firmwares was horrible in battery life as the driver sometimes will not switch back to A7 making the chip A15 quad and eating the battery life in no time, not to mention the overheating which was another dark side of that faulty driver which Samsung shipped in retail product !!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 888990 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic