Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 828384 ... 318319320  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2012
drinki
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-03-13 10:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony is claiming the world's first smartphone with the amazing floating touch technology...not bad! I remember seeing this technology on Pioneer Nav system first.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-03-13 10:53
I hope this isn't a sign of sony wanting to flood the market with low/mid end phones, that didn't plan out well for HTC.

Not that bad a phone in terms of looks, I prefer the SPU design though. This is the MT27 ‘Pepper’ so we can expect an April realise along side the U and P at a price of €308, according too the leaked product list...
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2012-03-13 10:57
Im sorry but what is the purpose of the "floating touch"? Why would anyone use that?

From The Verge
A new feature Sony is introducing with the Xperia Sola is called "floating touch." It's specific to the web browser, where the phone will react to you hovering your finger above the screen as it would to a mouse cursor. You can highlight links by lingering above them, though you'll still need to tap to select them. In other words, Sony's straying dangerously close to gimmick territory.

Indeed
[ This Message was edited by: motvikt on 2012-03-13 10:00 ]
Michalis3
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2012-03-13 10:57
Looks damn good.
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2012-03-13 11:06

On 2012-03-13 10:57:10, motvikt wrote:
Im sorry but what is the purpose of the "floating touch"? Why would anyone use that?

From The Verge
A new feature Sony is introducing with the Xperia Sola is called "floating touch." It's specific to the web browser, where the phone will react to you hovering your finger above the screen as it would to a mouse cursor. You can highlight links by lingering above them, though you'll still need to tap to select them. In other words, Sony's straying dangerously close to gimmick territory.

Indeed

It does beat trying to peck the link directly or having to zoom in to hit the link.
I don't want a signature anymore.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-03-13 11:07

From The Verge

Indeed

I wouldn't state that a certain feature is gimmicky until you've actually tried it/seen it in action.

Just had a look at a demo video which shows off the feature http://youtu.be/9Q73bHn9xus it actually looks quite interesting if I'm honest and will allow for greater accuracy when clicking on links. Good innovation and is something different to the many just capacitive only touch screen phones. Hopefully they will patent it well...
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-03-13 11:14

On 2012-03-13 10:53:25, adsada wrote:
This is the MT27 ‘Pepper’ so we can expect an April realise along side the U and P at a price of €308, according too the leaked product list...
Recommended retail price is 349 € (read it here first before GSMArena or XperiaBlog claim that "they got hold of the price tag" in two days like they usually do...), which is more than the leaked list had, but that's true for Nypon & Kumquat, too.
Esato's Expert Of The Year MMIX
Tejstar
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2012-03-13 11:31

On 2012-03-13 11:14:46, xell wrote:

On 2012-03-13 10:53:25, adsada wrote:
This is the MT27 ‘Pepper’ so we can expect an April realise along side the U and P at a price of €308, according too the leaked product list...
Recommended retail price is 349 € (read it here first before GSMArena or XperiaBlog claim that "they got hold of the price tag" in two days like they usually do...), which is more than the leaked list had, but that's true for Nypon & Kumquat, too.

Xperia Blog already have the price and it's not €349 according to them.

http://www.xperiablog.net/201[....]launching-late-april-for-e329/
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-03-13 11:38
The French... okay. My price is taken from the German Press Release. Calendar week 17 is the date for P & U, too, according to my contacts. Mass release.
Esato's Expert Of The Year MMIX
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-03-13 12:49

From The Verge

Indeed

Actually it's real usage is on flash/HTML5 content, which depends HIGHLY on mouse floating over content. This has very big potential. At last something is happening with technology, not only core race. Nokia presented camera better than practically all compact cameras, now Sony goes with new touchscreen technology, that can make a touchscreen phone much more usable. I like the way things go now.
[ This Message was edited by: admad on 2012-03-13 11:51 ]
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2012-03-13 13:09

On 2012-03-13 12:49:52, admad wrote:

From The Verge

Indeed

Actually it's real usage is on flash/HTML5 content, which depends HIGHLY on mouse floating over content. This has very big potential. At last something is happening with technology, not only core race. Nokia presented camera better than practically all compact cameras, now Sony goes with new touchscreen technology, that can make a touchscreen phone much more usable. I like the way things go now.
[ This Message was edited by: admad on 2012-03-13 11:51 ]

Very good point, did not think about it. But will it work that way?
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-03-13 13:59

Very good point, did not think about it. But will it work that way?

I believe that was the point of this technology And it will work since they said it behaves just like the mouse.
[ This Message was edited by: admad on 2012-03-13 12:59 ]
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-03-13 23:22
As a web developer myself, this 'floating mouse' thing is a really good idea. It's the one thing that's been missing from mobile browsers although there are ways to get a similar effects from existing screens, eg. touching the screen where you want to see the mouse over effect for just a fraction longer than you would if you wanted to click then dragging as though moving around the screen, I've found shows mouse overs well but doesn't do everything you'd want your mouse to do. For that I use USB-otg and a real mouse!
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
kewsvnet
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 00:09
the new sony line up is interesting....altho i have noticed that so far there isn't a single flagship phone which incorporates all the best features

Xperia S:
+Exmor camera
+Front Camera
+8GB+ Memory
+HDMI Port
+Transparent Strip
-No microSD
-No White Magic
-No Floating Touch
-No Aluminium Unibody

Xperia P:
+Exmor camera
+Front Camera
+8GB+ Memory
+HDMI Port
+Transparent Strip
+White Magic
+Aluminium Unibody
-No microSD
-No Floating Touch

Xperia U:
+Front Camera
+Color Changing Transparent Strip
-Non Exmor camera
-No microSD
-No HDMI Port
-No White Magic
-No Floating Touch
-No Aluminium Unibody
-No 8GB+ Memory

Xperia sola:
+microSD
+Floating Touch
+8GB+ Memory
-No Transparent Strip
-Non Exmor camera
-No Front Camera
-No HDMI Port
-No White Magic
-No Aluminium Unibody

Having different features on different phones makes it difficult to choose which one to go for when you want the best one! OK so Xperia U doesnt really have that many unique features although the colour changing strip seems to be a good idea...the rest of them all have unique features which are really good, but I think you need at least one top end phone with all of them

I really hope that some of the future flagships (Hayabus, Mint) incorporate all the best features. And preferably one has a QWERTY keyboard!
[ This Message was edited by: kewsvnet on 2012-03-13 23:22 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 00:33
The sola could just be a test bed. If it proves popular and effective the magic touch screen tech might go range-wide.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 828384 ... 318319320  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic