Welcome to Esato.com

HPM-82 and C510 not working together

Click to view updated thread with images

Posted by pj147

Has anybody got the HPM-82 headset working reliably with their C510? Mine just won't play ball. I've had the headset for about 2 years and have enjoyed using it flawlessly with my K800i. Whenever I plug it in to my C510 it will either not be recognised, or will be recognised after a significant delay. If it is recognised, the little symbol comes up on the display and stays there - BUT, as soon as I try to play a track, the headset "disappears" and I get the messge "Continue playback through speakers?" If I select "no" or just wait for a couple of seconds, the headset is re-recognised and the headphone symbol appears on the screen again.

Sometimes it's possible to play a track or two without trouble, but two consecutive tracks are the most I've got out of it. After that, about 1-2 seconds into the track, the connection will drop again.

I've searched all over the web and all I could find that seemed relevant was a guy complaining of a similar problem:

I have been wondering if it was something to do with debranding my phone (sadly I didn't try the headset before debranding). The C510 is 2 weeks old and I have had it unlocked, then debranded it myself with the A2Uploader method (customize_upgrade.xml) with CDA set to "WESTERN-EUROPE" - I used CDA Filemaker v2.0 to generate the xml file - then SEUS to flash the firmware. Is this the right firmware for me? I'm in the UK. Maybe there is a bug?

I'm pretty sure it's not a fake headset as I bought it from Play.com (directly, not through one of their sellers).

If it's a lost cause, can anybody recommend any canal-phones that are known to work properly with the C510?

Thanks for any advice,

Posted by centur
Clean phone connector !

Posted by pj147
Thanks for the advice Centur...

So, I went down to the test floor (I'm at work right now) and used a brass(?) brush to give the contacts on the phone and headset a gentle scrub. I then sprayed some contact cleaner on both sets of contacts. For the contacts on the headset, I worked them up and down a little with a flat piece of metal (I guess I could have used a flat-blade screwdriver, but hey) to make sure that the contact cleaner worked into the pins. I then used some cotton cloth, dampened with contact cleaner, to wipe clean all the surfaces/contacts/pins and remove any small particles of debris.

The net result of all this is that the phone now recognises the headset pretty much straight away every time I plug it in. However, the "bug" still remains.

Now when I plug it in, if I use the phone to navigate to the music player and start playing the tracks they seem to be ok. I can skip a few tracks, and at first I thought "great!" but then I skipped to another track and bingo - after about 3 seconds the headset disappears! I click "no" to continue through speakers and straight away the headset re-appears.

If I use the buttons on the headset it's a definite no-go. I press play on the headset and 3 seconds after play starts, the connection is dropped. If I start playing from the phone, then press to skip a track on the headset, again, 3 seconds and the connection is dropped.

I'm sure I could pick up another headset quite cheaply, but it's the principle really. The headset is listed on the website as being compatible, but for me, it's not.

Click to view updated thread with images

© Esato.com - From the Esato mobile phone discussion forum