Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Rome is Italy

EastCoastStar is USA
baja462
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-12 10:10
sydney is australia???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

only prob is im in the wrong forum!

[ This Message was edited by: baja462 on 2005-07-12 09:14 ]
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-12 12:20

I know Macedonians who don't feel they are Greeks at all...
Clearday
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-12 15:46
boto43
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2005-07-12 16:08
I thought that Macedonia is independent state somewhere between serbia and greece or albania.Now I don't know but maybe part of Macedonia belongs to Greece.
ja cejtim se bejt esatem sk podvedenej
Clearday
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-12 17:29
no, part of greece belongs to Macedonia...
djole89
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-07-15 16:34
No, no, no.......

Macedonia was a province in ancient Greece, and then, when Philip the II was the king of Macedonia, he conquered the rest of ancient Greece and his son, Alexandar the great conquered the Persia, current Turkey untill he reached India, and so on.....

Now, Greeks don't love Macedonians, because they took the name of their province. Macedonians are not a separate people, they are also Serbs, but they only talk little different....
Why do you think that Macedonia isn't just Macedonia, but it is FYR Macedonia? Because the Greeks didn't let them to take the name of their province.
That map shows current country Macedonia and province in Greece. Current FYR Macedonia is much smaller.... And they also have problems with Albanian terrorists in the north part of country towards Kosovo wich is already filled with Albanians......

SErbian forum

[ This Message was edited by: djordje1yu on 2005-07-19 19:34 ]
grca73
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-08-02 08:33
Quote:

On 2005-07-15 16:34:16, djordje1yu wrote:
Macedonians are not a separate people, they are also Serbs, but they only talk little different....

HEHE and chinese are not separate people, they are also Serbs, but they only talk a lot different, look different, are different...
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-08-02 10:29
Macedon was not an ancient greek province, but an independent kingdom formed in the 7th century BC, which became politically aligned with the rest of ancient greece in th 5th century BC. while much of the macedonian aristocracy did have greek blood, the common people were generally considered to be of a different race and origin.

prior to the expansion under Phillip II, Macedon occupied approximately the same area as the "province" of macedonia in modern greece, but under his reign grew to include the region currently referred to as fyr macedonia (btw - the reason it's called fyr is because it only constitutes the regions liberated after the breakup of yugoslavia and not in greece). the sovreignty or otherwise of macedonia has been clouded in the 20th century since the Balkan Wars, due to concerted propaganda efforts by the various countries which claimed macedonian territory in the treaty of bucharest (including serbia, greece, albania, and in post-WWII times yugoslavia) to appropriate macedonian historical icons, pass off macedonian as a language fabricated in the 20th century, and even deny the very existence of the name macedonia.

My new house photos

[ This Message was edited by: gelfen on 2005-08-02 09:31 ]
Qoastro
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2005-08-02 11:15
FYR Macedonia

Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia
Death of a Motorola.3gp

Temporarely down, but it's up again, thanks to nicko ^^ Download and watch it
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-08-02 16:45
Beautiful woman there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Redback
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-08-31 04:57
Snap out of it gelfen al least get your facts right before posting.

Macedonia is a Greek name & Ancient Macedonia always was a part of Greece just like Athens, Sparta, Thebes, and hundreds of others. They were considered Hellenes(Greeks) by the rest of the Hellenes and competed in the Olympic Games(Only Greeks could participate).

They were only called barbarians as an insult.

If Macedonians weren't Greek then answer these few questions.

Why are ALL ancient MAcedonian artifacts, coins etc written only in Greek?

Why did ALexander The Great spread ONLY the Hellenic culture in the lands he conquered?

Why do today's so called "Macedonians" in FYROM speak a Slavic language? - Slavs arriven in Europe in 600AD, hundreds of years after the Greeks were already there.

Macedonian not being Greek is like Tasmania not being Australian cause some of us consider them backward.

Learn some history not Slavic-FYROM propoganda.
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-08-31 12:02
@redback: i really don't want to get into an argument over this. i gather from some of your other posts that you are of greek descent, so there is practically no way i can win this argument. tbh i don't particularly care enough to try. suffice it to say that none of what i stated previously could be said to come from "macedonian" sources, and is considered fact by a vast majority of neutral historians - irrespective of the official position of the greek government.

the above notwithstanding, i will address a few points:

They were considered Hellenes(Greeks) by the rest of the Hellenes and competed in the Olympic Games(Only Greeks could participate).

as i said, the ancient macedon aristocracy were considered hellenic but the common people were not. it was only the aristocracy, and particularly royalty, who were allowed to participate in the olympic games. there are a number of ancient historians who considered the macedons to be a separate people, even if they were politically and militarily allied with ancient greece.

Why are ALL ancient MAcedonian artifacts, coins etc written only in Greek?

there is certainly a high degree of similarity between the languages because they derive from the probably same route, and coexisted for a long period, but there are a number of differences that cannot be reconciled with the greek language. the confusion about the exact relationship between ancient greek and ancient macedonian is due to the dirth of ancient macedonian artefacts.

Why did ALexander The Great spread ONLY the Hellenic culture in the lands he conquered?

because it was the premier culture at the time, and consisted of the most advanced scientific and philosophical thinking of the age. he was, after all, educated by hellenic scholars. there is a common misconception that hellenic and greek are interchangeable. while they are often used as such it is not strictly accurate.

Why do today's so called "Macedonians" in FYROM speak a Slavic language? - Slavs arriven in Europe in 600AD, hundreds of years after the Greeks were already there.

because languages evolve with time, and adapt to include the words and expressions of neighbouring peoples. additionally, the use of the macedonian language (however you want to define it) was outlawed by the yugoslavian and greek governments. incidentally it's not an entirely slavic language, and was recognised as an independent language by greek authorities as recently as the 1920s, which is interesting considering what i say below.

a few other points to ponder:

1. the view that macedonians and greeks are of like ethnicity is an almost purely 20th century phenomenon. in fact 18th and 19th century greeks considered the macedonians as former conquerors.

2. between 1913 and 1988 it was official greek government policy that the area now called macedonia, and the macedonian language, did not and had never existed. the area was only referred to as "northern greece", and it's inhabitants as greek. it was only the burgeoning rise of FYROM that prompted a shift in policy to one of "Macedonia is 4000 years of Greek history". i wonder how this latter claim could be true if it didn't exist pior to 1988.

3. to this day, the greek governement denies the existence of any ethnic minorities within it's borders - be they macedonian, serbian, bulgarian, turkish, german, french, etc., and continues to deny them basic human rights. the only acknowledged minority is religious (the muslims of thrace).

anyway, i'm not going to argue because it's all a bit pointless. believe whatever you want.
Whomsoever you see in distress, recognize in him a fellow man

Gelfen's special place where nobody talks to him anymore
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2005-08-31 12:18
I think this is a political thread.
I understand the first post as a greek claiming that Macedonia should be merged/absorbed with/by Greece. [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123  Next
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic