Esato

Forum > General discussions > Garbage threads > Gelfen's special place where people talk to him

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 2728 293031  Next
Author Gelfen's special place where people talk to him
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 12:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
well, back at home after my op. had a 2" long, 1" deep (minimum) slice chopped out just below the base of my spine.
Whomsoever you see in distress, recognize in him a fellow man

Gelfen's special place where nobody talks to him anymore
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-07-06 09:42
saw the surgeon yesterday. seems to be healing ok, and had a couple of stitches removed.

still not particularly comfortable

DJcreamz
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-06 09:55
It dosnt sound it mate! Hope you get well soon
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-07-11 09:45
back at work today which is uninspiring. still not great but at least i can actually sit down now. much preferred the last two weeks spent on the couch with my xbox, dvds and books!

another appointment with the doc tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-07-20 09:57
we had an inspection last night so thought i would update with some house pictures:

this from almost a month ago. you can see that insulation and roof trusses have been added

same again, taken from the garage door

a shot of our water feature from inside the living area. the blue is insulation and the orange is a termite barrier (required by law)

another shot of the water feature from the rear garage door

and these shots were taken last night. as you can see we now have roof tiles and gutters. at least it's starting to at least look like a house.

Gelfen's special place where people talk to him

[ This Message was edited by: gelfen on 2005-07-20 08:59 ]
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-08-15 09:47
after an absence of four weeks my father-in-law is back on the job laying bricks. unfortunately during that time the builders have done SFA, and what has been done he ain't happy with. after stewing for half a day he let the site supervisor have it, pointing out all the flaws he saw in the work (or lack thereof) done to date.

it seems that the supervisor didn't like being told how to do his job by a mere brickie - despite that brickie having some 20 odd years experience in the building industry. following their screaming match the supervisor gave me a call and threatened to have him barred from the site (despite the fact a condition of the contract is that my father-in-law does the work). what followed was us spending the next 24 hours placating both sides and going out to have an inspection of the apparent faults.

the sup's response to all this was that the work was "not finished". so now we have my father-in-law on site telling us every problem he sees, we write it down in a notebook set aside for that purpose, and then when we are told the next stage is finished and ready for inspection we'll be going around checking off each item. it also seems that the supervisor is trying to blame every delay to date on my father-in-law, but we're not prepared to wear that since the roof tiles have sat unfinished for the last month and none of the roughing in for internal plumbing and electrics has even been started. in fact, all that's happened is they put a temporary door on for lockup.

while that whole experience was a pain in the ass, it's good to have somebody there keeping an eye out who knows what's what. at least now there's more than one wall up.

carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-08-26 17:06
Good to see your house progressing, sorry to hear your having strife with the builders
Get well soon Mate!
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-09-23 17:03
@gelfen - Hi matey ! How's the house and your father-in-law doing now? I do remember way back in '97 when we decided to construct a dirty kitchen (small extension) in the house, the contractor made a rough estimate that it will only cost us around US$ 5-6K (bare), then along the way we felt that the estimated cost was already surpassing the US$ 7K mark When the project was done, we computed that it totally cost: US$ 12K more than double what was first thought . . . [addsig]
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-10-06 09:37
nice to see you back @JN

well the house seems be going along at fair clip just now. brickwork is finished, plaster is done, porcelein (baths, toilets, basins, etc.) is in, plumbing, electricals, computer cabling, and alarm system is roughed in. i'll have more details, and hopefully some pics, next week.

i haven't been able to get up to see the house recently because i've been far too busy with work, and i spent last week in brisbane - partly for a conference and partly for a break. i spent the first three days attending a largely useless conference for work, but at least it was held in a five star hotel and - most importantly - was fully catered.

after the conference my wife and i got to see the sights of brisbane for a few days, including a day trip out to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo and a cruise on the river. i have to say i love walking through downtown brisbane at night, especially queen street and eagle street pier.

carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-06 10:13
Er, Ahem.

Did you say your having trouble keeping this thread going?
You're on page 28 mate, with 6733 views.

This must be one of the most popular personal threads on Esato!

And you didn't even start it, it was gifted to you.
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-10-06 10:23
if you flick back for a few pages and look at the date stamps it becomes pretty apparent that for some lengthy stretches it was more or less a solo effort with support from @JN, compared with the early pages having a variety of posters.

most of the content in this thread is my own, whereas the other personal threads tend to attract a group of regular contributors. i tailed off a bit recently because i actually started a proper blog elsewhere and have been spending a bit of time at SE-NSE

gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-10-27 06:34
i'm feeling a touch of national pride this week.

clicky

carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-27 13:20
Ah yes, Phar Lap. That great Kiwi horse.

But anyway, looking forward to the Melbourne cup. NZ doesn't stand still but everyone takes an interest.
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-10-27 17:46
Quote:

On 2005-10-06 10:23:35, gelfen wrote:
if you flick back for a few pages and look at the date stamps it becomes pretty apparent that for some lengthy stretches it was more or less a solo effort with support from @JN, compared with the early pages having a variety of posters.

@gelfen - Thanks for mentioning me 'alone' here . . . but I guess the man at the helm was - Switchbitch! I promise to keep this thread stretching till the time you already have your - first born matey, no stork yet?

When will you start moving in your NEW house dude? Will you be living with your in-laws, or just you TWO? Invite me on the house blessing OK?

See ya around . . . [addsig]
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-11-08 14:35
@gelfen-So what's the latest with the costruction of your house mate? Will it be completely done/built come Christmas time? [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 2728 293031  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic