||MERLIN||
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-07-08 02:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2005-07-07 15:20:16, Qoastro wrote:
Have anyone of you seen Mythbusters?
The busted that myth big time, and because they didn't manage to blow their home made gas-place up with the phone (the suprising part is that they used a Nokia and it still didn't blow up) they got frustrated, as they usually do when thing don't blow up. So they blew it up anyway.

Yes, I saw the first part of that experience and the second, cause they repeated the experience. Anyway, the results were the same and as you well explained:

BUSTED
diakim
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-12 19:12
This issue of not using your cellphones in petrol stations is more serious than this. Cellphones are known to emit some radiations while in use which reacts with some chemicals which are present in petrol. The same goes for chemicals found in hospitals.

Late last year in Lagos, a male lawyer was pouring petrol inside is generator, while the generator was running. He had his cellphone with him and the phone rang (apparently a call was coming in). Immediately the phone rang, it exploded and the man was engulfed in fire. To cut a long story short, he died many days later in the hospital for various burns all over his body. The news was carried by major newspapers and television stations.

So, to avoid being roasted alive, the wisdom is to refrain using your phone near petrol or volatile chemicals.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-07-13 06:03
I'd like to see the results of the coroner's report on that one.
My guess is that he may have splashed the phone, however lightly, which ignited when a call came through. Also, pouring petrol in a confined space (a petrol station is well ventilated) is not recommended.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-07-13 06:25
there has NEVER been one proven case of a mobile phone causing fire at a petrol station. they do not have sufficient energy output to cause combustion. the real cause is static electricity generated by the driver when he or she gets out of the car (interestingly women are more often the cause of such fires because they are less likely to touch the car body as they exit the vehicle, and thus do not "ground" themselves before filling up).

the reason they are banned is because petrol stations are, by law, designated as a Class 1 Zone 2 Hazardous Area, which prohibits the presence of any potential ignition source regardless of whether that source poses a real danger or otherwise.
Whomsoever you see in distress, recognize in him a fellow man

Gelfen's special place where nobody talks to him anymore
spuddle
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-14 02:03
i work in a petrol station, lol, i also saw the brainiac thingy where nothing happend, think the main thing is like driving while using your phone, so you concentrate on what your doing more than concentrating on your phone call and go over and then end up not having enough money to pay, also it causes a big queue (which is EXTREEMLY annoying) and pisses off other customers having to wait while some silly person finishes there phone call on what they are having for tea tonight before they can fill up!, imagine if you had to wait for someone in that situation!
also a girl i work with says 2 instances where someone blew his leg off while it was in his pocket and just reeived a txt msg, and someone lost half there face are highly unlikely
cootuk
P900
PM
Posted: 2005-07-16 05:06
The Mythbusters episode showed that most fires at petrol stations were caused by static from people getting out of the car - women had the higher risk as they tend to re-enter the car and not earth themselves (like by opening the door when you first get out) before touching the petrol dispenser again.

If that guy was refilling a generator whilst it was running! then any spill could ignite on a hot generator part.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi