Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > World's First Windows Mobile 5.0 Device

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author World's First Windows Mobile 5.0 Device
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-09 19:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2005-09-09 19:09:10, Pallister wrote:
@masseur..

Where did u get it and how much?

I prefer to answer this question in this thread

Expansys i-mate JasJar

I also have a i-mate K-JAM on back order coming in 7 days aparantly and thats going to give me a tough choice!
Jezzaj
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-09 19:16
hoping to get one of these on orange.shame it looks like they are going with silver and not that sexy black version.

let us know youre impressions ASAP masseur

[ This Message was edited by: Jezzaj on 2005-09-09 18:17 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-09 19:31
so far, I have found the old AvantGo client that integrates with pocket internet explorer will no longer installs as it doesn't recognise the new ActiveSync version 4 and so exits with an error saying that it needs Activesync to be installed in order to use AvantGo. I have got around this for now by installing the full AvantGo client but that needs to be sync'd separately from activesync so I'm not so happy about that. Also that full client seems to offer dialogue boxes for some settings which don't fit on screen and there is no way to scroll the window so I guess an update is required for either of these at some time.

I read before buying that the camera was still 1.3 megapixel like that which was in my JAM and I'm afraid to say that the quality is just as poor. Big dissapointment there I guess. I've tried the video calling camera but not in a call but thats a much less resolution anyway.

The screen is excellent, but then so was the JAM so I didn't expect anything less and betaplayer (or whatever they call it now) plays my videos from my SD card as good as it ever did on the JAM

The keypad is very, very usable but I was surprised to find that when I enter phone mode it will acceopt me pressing the numeric buttons at the top of the keyboard but won't accept me pressing the alpha characters to enter a contacts name though I can click the digits on the on-screen dialling buttons in order to enter a contact name. To enter a contact name I must first click the contacts soft key and then I can use the keyboard.

The wifi was easy to set up with my home network including wep etc. Indeed its much like you setup on a pc or on the separate Sandisk wifi SD card I used in the JAM

still loading my software such as microsoft voice and pocket streets etc and trying out all the features so will report back with more at a later time

in the meantime if there are questions please feel free to ask
Jezzaj
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-09 21:31
thanks for the quick feedback.
wanting this even more now though even on contract it will carry a fair premium.
no specific qu's but i'll follow any reports with interest
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-09 21:41
the latest is that my registered worldmate 5.1 doesn't work on Windows Mobile 5, it just exits immediately with no message, and there doesn't appear to be an update for it... hmmm...
sd.clark
D750
PM
Posted: 2005-09-09 22:22
I got my i-mate jasjar Thursday afternoon from Expansys. I've managed to put in the settings for T-Mobile GPRS. When in a 2G area the GPRS indicator shows a 'G', in a 3G area it changes to a 'U'. I've managed to get more ringtones installed, coverted them to .wma files and put into the /windows/rings/ folder.

Not tried out the camera yet. Got the BT connecting to a SE headset & carkit, and also my TomTom Go 500, I used the T-Mobile MDA III as the device and it works as the Jasjar is not in it's database yet.

So far still very pleased with it.
Mad_Bob
P900 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-10 09:09
Just out of interest, I will probably get this instead of waiting around for the nest P-Series, but is it possible to get codecs for it to it can play divx etc?.
Oh my god! a wooden goat!.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-10 09:18
I've previously mentioned that I use TCPMP (previously known as betaplayer) and its well worth checking out their pages to see what it offers as it certainly suits me I use Pocket DVD Studio to convert the movies and they also mention some codecs there

I keep it simple, I make the videos using pocket DVD studio and play them using betaplayer so if you want anything more than that you'll have to read up in those pages (and let us know back here )
irfan
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-11 13:37
Masseur,
As you have all the answers, would love to hear which of the following you would pick if you HAD to choose
Universal
JasJar
Qtek9000
or is there any other one that tops them all?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-11 15:54
I chose the JasJar and i-mate do give excellent support based on my time with the JAM. I have heard bad things about qtek support. don't know much about HTC themselves though of course all these models come from HTC

I'm very happy with the JasJar so far...
irfan
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-11 16:17
Thanks JAS it is based on The Man's recommendations.
Thanks
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-11 16:23
its a great little unit. I've just come back from a Sunday roast lunch at the pub with my family and I only opened it up once to check an email that arrived and suddenly I had quite a few people (guys) around wanting to know more. my wife was not impressed but I think i-mate might have a few more sales.

I was having some performance issues but I did a hard reset yesterday and reinstalled my stuff and its working smoothly now so I'm not sure what happened.

its a large device but as long as you consider that its a very versatile device which is slightly wider than a p series but with a larger VGA screen then you will not be dissapointed. its hardly been out of my hands in 48 hours.

btw, the case that i-mate supply doesn't have any belt hooks unlike the one supplied for the SP3i and the JAM that I had previously but to be honest I don't see me using a case with this as it will sit nicely in my suit jacket pocket most of the time
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-12 09:08
masseur, glad your now in the suit role - pure miami vice nights with this model. Personally I love the black JarJar BUT my heart is with the upcoming N70 series60 device.

My question is with WM5 are you able to goto a site that has a Windows Media Video link imbedded into the website will the actual page allow you to click on the link and play the video on your device; whether using UMTS/GPRS/WiFi connection?

Can you please test this and post back??!!

This is where UIQ & S60 severly lack because of RealPlayer; total lack of streaming video support on the net.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-12 11:41
ok, I tried the WMV on this page but all i got was garbage on screen so I guess it doesn't work. I also got a storage memory error because it clearly tried to download the whole thing.

anyway, this jasJar is going back or being sold, depending on whether I have to pay the 25% Expansys restocking fee because I opened the software disc to install activesync 4 (since its not available on the net yet)

Having used it for 3 days I'm now sure this is not really the device for me so I'll stick with the k-jam when it arrives.

I think this is more suited to desk bound people, or those who carry a brief case. The bluetooth headset calling works great and overall its a great device but I just haven't clicked with it as much as I thought I might.

edit: anyone want a JasJar?

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2005-09-12 10:42 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-13 13:20
I've been using the JasJar for 5 days now, 2 of those around the office. Its been an excellent and reliable device and the only draw back so far really is that when everythign is on (wifi/bluetooth/3G data) its sucks battery. Just catching up on my AvanGo on the 50 minute train journey into London I consume around 15%. Last night when I got home I was down to 23% battery.

Its good that the JasJar has non volatile (also called persistant) memory so that even if the battery fully drains nothing is lost.

When flipping the screen to normal PDA style I'd like it to remember the orientation I last had the screen. It always revert back to portrait and I have to click the system tray icon to go back to landscape.

transition between wifi/3g/gprs is very smooth and mostly unnoticeable. Whereas the JAM had a G icon at the top when GPRS was available, the JasJar shows a G or a U where U indicates 3G/UMTS.

I'm still finding it just a tad bulky but am learning to live with it since I am using it so much. Next week the K-JAM will arrive at my door at I feel that it will mean the end of the JasJar for me. I just wish they had included 3G into the K-JAM, if only to be used for data as I've never made a 3G video call.

Feel free to ask any questions while I still have this
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi