Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > htc wizard or htc universal?

Author htc wizard or htc universal?
sebzZ
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-07 07:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
i'm stuck between these two.

help me please.
mores
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-08-07 12:28
get some oil and wiggle yourself free.

wizard vs universal = MDAc vs MDA3

except that the wizard isn't available yet
sebzZ
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-10 04:30
both isnt out yet.
htc universal
--> http://www.eprice.com.tw/news/?news_id=2913

htc wizard
--> http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4083.html
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-03 13:32
I've been agonising over this question for the last few days. I have the i-mate k-jam (wizard) on order and hesitated at the i-mate JasJar (universal) due to its size and also partly for the cost

I really like the form factor of the universal and the swivel screen and 3g support etc but I really loved using my i-mate JAM which is what the k-jam is replacing and so the natural choice is the k-jam

I've always cringed when people post "shall I get this or that" threads thinking that surely the poster must know what they want but for the first time ever, I am really stuck

I can see me getting both and deciding when they are in my hand but thats alot of money to play with

arrrggghhhh!
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-03 15:51
the universal is just too big. I dont know it looks like it'll break easily. Thats just my impression.
I'd go with the Wizard.
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-03 16:32
but is it too big? this is what I keep asking myself. I've always considered the P series too big but for me too big usually means too big for what it offers. The universal does seem to offer just about everything!

amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-03 16:35
but think about it. What does it offer that the Jam doesn't?
(besides Wifi, although you could get a Wifi SD card)

I mean the side view looks great, when it's open it jsut, i dunno, I feel people will comment on size rather than functionality.

Oxygen Inc|Oxygen Mobile

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2005-09-03 15:35 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-03 17:00
I did have a wifi card for my Jam and used it alot. I didn't like swapping it in and out with my 2gb SD card though

its also has 3g capability, of course, and a VGA resolution screen

Windows media 5 looks good too but I'd get that in the wizzard anyway

Its also has USB 2 Support and a much higher capacity battery and they seem to have vastly improved bluetooth support too.

hmmmm.....
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-04 02:50
@masseur (sorry if I got it wrong),

Reasons for both;

BOTH: Windows Mobile v5 if FULLY skinable - skin & get ringtones with the skin.

better music playback support > comparable to iTunes. Very Good. I'm a fan of Windows Media Player again after say 5 years!

Universal Much better battery life in regards to long bouts of WiFi surfing, or xfering of files over wireless network. Long trips too.

Wizard (depending on the casing, I prefer the squared buttons look); more sleek in width so better for jeans, but unsure of the cpu speed, to many conflicting reports; if its the Texas Instruments OMAP 850 > I'll avoid it like the plague I was amongst the first to test the 730 (i think) in the HP iPaq 6315 that Tmobile Launched & was unimpressed with gaming application support, program speed; aside for web-browsing & WiFi searching. The new OMAP cpu is supposed to be much better but I feel the Xscale cpu's from Intel in the Universal give better ARM9/7 performance! Hence why its the king of the hill.

slide out keyboard is sweet looking, but will it get loose over multiple usuage in say 8 months????? BIG concern. The sliding mechanism is very similar to the first 3 Palm Tungstens & other slider phones that just dont last well in my opinion.

Universal: IF its keyboard can be used by Touch Typists .... BOYAAH!! GET IT. pure laptop replacement. God less than 4 years ago Intel P3 laptops topped out at 650Mhz!! (Compaq E500+DVD/ROM)

I do hope this helps. btw the Universal getting sprung from a suit pocket, especially in black it just so BOND like.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-04 15:09
thanks prom1, certainly points to ponder. my i-mate JAM had WMP10 which was pretty good but I mostly watch videos using betaplayer (well I still call it that although its had a name change now).

The wizard is rumoured to be only a 200mhz processor which seems a step backwards.

according to the mini Q&A at engadget the universal is not for touch typists

well, I have both on order now, the jasjar (universal) is due in 6 days and the k-jam (wizard) towards the end of the month so I guess I can cancel the second if I am happy with the first. If I don't like the JasJar then its fortunate that Expansys have a 21 day no questions asked returns policy
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-04 18:40
I think the wizard is better for size reasons mostly. But what was I-mate thinking with JasJar? Does the name have a meaning? Is K-Jam confirmed as a name too?
I don't want a signature anymore.
Pallister
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-09-04 20:01
Called Qtek 9000 and Qtek 9100 here in Scandinavia...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-04 20:06
@Pallister, I'm sure in the same way that the jam was available in Scandinavia from more companies that just qtek, the wizard and universal will also be available in i-mate, o2, orange etc variants

The Qtek versions you mention is also listed to be available in UK along with the i-mate, o2 and orange versions. I haven't yet heard about the the t-mobile names for these

I guess it just comes down to whether you want branding (i.e on contract) or not and I always prefer not
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-07 20:23
Tomorrow is going to be an interesting fun day

edit: thats from Expansys btw

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2005-09-07 19:25 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-09-15 15:36
well, expansys seems to have had this one "available in 7 days" for a few days now!

having found a few things on the JasJar that I must have missed when I read the specs I have now looked closer at the k-jam specs and I notice it uses mini-SD... arrgghh! why would they do that? I have a couple of 2gb SD cards and I dno't think you can even get 2gb in mini-SD format. The JAM took standard size SD so why give this one mini-SD?

I'm still a little concerned at the TI OMAP 850 processor only being 200mhz compared with the JAMs Intel Bulverde 416MHz and the JasJar's Intel Bulverde 520MHz as it seems a little slow and I can't really find anything to compare the Intel and TI processors performance wise as the differentarchitecture of the processor might mean that 200mhz isn't all that bad.

anyone got any info on that? all I have found is this
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi