Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > phone off at gas station?

Previous  123  Next
Author phone off at gas station?
Cula
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 21:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I don't think there are anny danger using your phone on a gass station. It is just to be crefull, the warning hn the phone manuals I think is to stop anny law suits against the brands. In Norway we have had this cell free sone in hospitals, but now some of the biggest hospitals accepts use of cell phones.

This message was posted from a P900

boto43
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 22:34
Hospital and petrole station are 2 different places. No explosive atmosphere in the hospital but we can't say this about the petrole station.

This message was posted from a T610

batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 23:00
its actually because the pumps are connected to the kiosk by radio waves. the petrol man can activate them remotly and it sends the amount back to the kiosk. mobile phones can block out the signal. not blow up the station ......

Stan
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-16 14:29
@Batesie 10 out of 10 mate, that is the exact reason. It can jam the pump to such an effect that you get FREE fuel. Had a mate who could do it with a CB radio a few years back. Would pull into a petrol station put a few quids worth of fuel in and then transmitt on the CB. The petrol would keep flowing but the pump would not send the final amout to the kiosk! so he would only pay for a small amount of petrol.

So chill there will be no explosions only the chance of some free fuel!
It was the little piggie that built his house from Nokia`s that the big bad wolf could`nt blow down!
www.custom-el.co.uk
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2004-04-16 14:36
someone rang me and i had already started filling up. the pump stopped dead and i had to go in and pay for the small amount id put in and then go back out to fill it up again. think theyve got a saftey cut out system to stop it now.

rencomp
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-04-16 19:56
at Stan, i never try it before but i have CB in my car. See if it will work here in the Netherlands btw Over here we are able at some stations to pay the bill with a mobile phone (something like 'telepay' )
jep900
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-04-16 20:04
heres one for you all,petrol station sign posts have mobile phone masts in anyway so that could cause more probs than ya phone being on,the thing i dont understand is who can plastic be a conductor? mmm that means wood paper,picking up the petrol pump oh thats metal on metal thats more dangerous

Jowi
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-16 21:27
every gas station here has a warning to turn off cellphones
dephanix
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-04-16 23:03
They dont actually care that much in britain, i e-topped up my phone, it failed, so i went back in and i showed it to them, they didnt care. My 3100 got rubber keys, thats an insulator, im safe!

This message was posted from a Nokia

slamEVIL
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-18 06:59
@greatdane - i beat you to that answer, see?

cell phone + gas station = urban legend.
lalilulelo
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-04-18 08:05
hahaha..... man on fire

u know when you refuel your car.. u will smell some octana thingy.... i think it is gas and the phone redio wave will cause explotion. Then the fire will burn into the car's petro tank by burning the gas...
GreatDane
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-04-20 01:53
Hey, sorry to bring back an "old" post, but I got some nice pictures that go along with this that I took today while filling up my truck. Do these count as ironic?

gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2004-04-20 02:19
the warnings are in place partly due to the radio blocking issues - but that really only applies to older petrol stations. warnings against using two-way radios were in place long before mobile phones.

however, the issue actually relates to the hazard level of the facility because a petrol station is essentially a storage facility for flammable liquid. i work in the chemical industry, and whenever i visit a site that has a potentially high explosive risk due to on-site inventory they confiscate mobiles, electronic car keys, portable cd players, etc. because these items have not been certified as safe according to hazardous goods/hazardous area legislation. a mobile phone can potentially spark on answering due to a small buildup of electric current in the circuitry - especially if there is a fault in the electronics. basically the prohibition on mobiles at servos is to cover their backsides so that you get sued for the damage (that is, until some dumb-ass american with a room temperature IQ claims they should employ people to confiscate them after he blows up a servo on the interstate because he was too self-absorbed to obey the signs).
Whomsoever you see in distress, recognize in him a fellow man

Gelfen's special place where nobody talks to him anymore
jomni1
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-04-20 02:37
Just as long as you stay in your car and don't go out and fill up gas for yourself, you're quite safe. It's the rubbing contanct combined with the phone signal that sets off the explosion. If someone fills up gas for you, you won't have any problems. That's my theory. We also have these signs here in the Philippines but all our gas stations are not self-service.
loonee
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-04-20 03:08
@GreatDane, thanks for the picture. in indonesia the people here are ignorance about warning signs, they don't bother about it. when i am at the gas station i still see a lot of people using their cell phones, these nuts are putting other people at risk because of their ignorance.

there was this guy who was filling up gas at his auto-repair shop, and his cell phone rang, he answered it and out of the sudden, the whole place was engulfed in fire. he suffered 70% burned, and died a few days later.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi