Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > phone off at gas station?

123  Next
Author phone off at gas station?
loonee
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
how many of you out there turn off your mobile phone when filling up gas for your car? I know most of the gas stations have "no mobile phone" sign hanging. do you really follow the "no mobile phone" regulation?
Bianca
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:16
I never heard of the fact that you have to turn off your phone at the gas station so i never do that. I have never seen signs saying that you have to turn off you phone
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:22
@loonie where are such kind of warnings?
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
djpowelly
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:22
Oh, they are in nerly every petrol station in the UK! ... i can't drive (only 14!), but when i go with mum or dad, i never do.... i'm still alive aren't I?!? Also, i read somewhere, that it would have to be alot of people at once using their phones to cause a spark!
djpowelly
Bianca
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:24
I saw a movie from the internet once of a woman who only touched her car, and it already cause a spark (due to static electricity) but indeed phones could cause a spark, but here in the netherlands are no warnings
rdnymllnsktr
W760 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:25
You are supposed to turn your phone off in gas stations, due to the fact that they can cause a small electrical spark (very rare, though). In your manual, after the instructions, go to the fine print, and you'll see it.

If you read this, you'll see that you are also supposed to turn your phone off in blast zones, due to the fact that a cell phone can set the explosives off (cause they use remotes to detonate).
MyPhoneExplorer is the new FMA!

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/downloads.php
Bianca
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:27
that must be it, i never read the manuals of my phones
Ayush
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:30
@Bianca that's very interesting to note Yes here in India too there are such signs but of-course no one follows then just like ppl rarely follow the rule of wearing ur seat belts ( i do )
Ayush
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:30
its nearly impossible i saw an experiment on british tv were they put abpout 50 mobile in a caravan full of petrol and rang them all at the same time nothing happened in the end they used a microwave to set off an explosion so its very hard but i suppose people are just scared of been sued so try to cover every angle
GreatDane
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:31
If you have ever watched that show MythBusters on the discovery channel, then you might have seen the episode that tried to prove this myth fact or fiction. They concluded that a cell phone will in no way cause a spark to ignite the gasoline, but usually if a person gets in and out of their car and does not ground themselves, by usually touching a piece of large metal on the car, IE: side door panel, then they can build up enough static electricity

Here are some links where you can go if you want to actually read more on this...
about the cell phones: http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
and about the static electricity: http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp
loonee
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:37
i read over the safety precautions in the phone manual, about the potential explosive atmospheres such as; gas pumps, chemical plants etc. I am just wondering how many people out there, who have mobile phones have such kind of knowledge.
Chazzer3
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 18:46
If u live in england and watched braniac, you'll know that they tested the Idea of phones at petrol/gas stations and it had no effect, however governments still think that after one accident everyone is at risk!
Scally_cadet
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 20:48
In theory if you drop your phone and you battery falls out theres a chance it could spark and ignite fuel vapour in the air.

This message was posted from a Nokia

corez
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 20:54
The last 2 years or so Nokia mobiles have exploded a couple of times for no reason, mabye those insidents have something to do with does regulations?

vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 21:05
well. i dont wanna get scientific in my physics lesson...

phones give off static electricity and this can somehow cause a spark?!?!? but honestly the other week we were learning about electricity and how it can affect stuff in petrol stations but ma book is at school and i cant remember!

DD [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi