Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Next Satio Firmware update - Wishlist

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author Next Satio Firmware update - Wishlist
Solsken2009
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-11-17 18:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Great list, nrich!
Hope the Ericsson people read it VERY thoroughly-
Iīve had mine for over a month now.
Agree to most of it, especially the slowness & insensitivity of the touchscreen & as you write a lot of time-consuming, irritating extra-finger-pressing.
Also itīs hard to get an overview of which photos I have. The turn-over of photos by sliding simply does not work.
Letīs hope for a major firmware update, fixing all the bugs and giving us a fast, up-to-date phone!
To be honest - if I could change the phone for an iPhone, I would do it directly.
[addsig]
Darcey
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-11-20 16:13
There is a great deal of potential with the satio phone, however it has been let down by the software design and programming to an extend I feel it never got tested or given to a profession who understands consistency in software design and ease of use.

I wrote a review on my handset after 1 month of using it which can be found here:
Click here for a customers review of the Satio after 1 month.

As to faults, the majority of issues come from the OS and it's software. Anyone worked out how to preview an mms yet? But the big fault for me is the lack of internal phone memory to handle the running application. 30+ pictures or sounds and try and add something to an mms and this will often result in a crash of that application only to go back and do it again and it work, just rather slowly, then begins the challenge to find your media item with a ui that is about as accurate as a boxer trying to pick up a needle with his gloves on. Laggy laggy laggy.

It could have been so much.... But all I can say to anyone who asks, it's got a nice camera and leave it at that.

Wish I waited for the HTC HD 2 now, even thinking about giving this phone to someone else and getting another one.
[ This Message was edited by: Darcey on 2009-11-20 15:14 ]
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-20 21:17
The HD2 is amazing - that screen is to die for - but at some point, you're in the same boat as the Satio; Windows Mobile makes an appearance and it all falls apart.

HTC has hidden more of WinMo than SE has of S60v5, but the only OS that is pretty decent behind the fancy front-end is Android (if we're comparing similar featured devices and ignoring the iPhone).

If (or when) HTC releases the HD2 with Android, albeit with a slightly different design, and we get the X10 up and running - I really think we'll have something approaching perfection.

But, if SE could get the relatively small improvements on S60v5 as introduced by Nokia (e.g. Nokia N97 mini) with kinetic scrolling and other tweaks, or they made Opera Mobile the standard browser, I think S60v5 could actually be taken a little more seriously. I've said before, I don't believe Symbian has to do THAT much to fix enough things to make S60v5 quite acceptable between now and the next version.

PS. @Darcey - I read your owners review and the text is very good, but I think you've been a little too safe or generous with the ratings for each category. I really think you needed to be more scathing, to reflect your opinion! An excellent job and I agree with virtually everything you said - and hope someone from Sony Ericsson (and Symbian) takes the time to read it.
[ This Message was edited by: jmcomms on 2009-11-20 20:22 ]
Jonathan Morris
Editor, What Mobile magazine - the UK's leading mobile phone magazine
www.whatmobile.netforum.whatmobile.net
Twitter @jmcomms
Darcey
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-11-20 21:44
I agree, my ratings were too nice, I've adjusted to give true reflection.

Having great fun with it today, where I can't lock the phone have to wait a good 10 seconds before the phone responds. No appz running... Crazy thing.

I have also made a submission to SE about the flaws, just maybe somehow they wont just send them to an archived mailbox and read peoples reviews and comments and act on them.

I've been googling about and seen some people installing android on some of the SE phones, I may give this a go on the satio, what have I got to loose lol.
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-20 22:30
When it autolocks, I have it require a password/PIN to unlock again. Sadly, it can mess up at times and half way through entering the code it locks again (because it took a few slides to unlock but it 'caught up') or the screen blanks completely and it seems to have crashed - as it does sometimes when it rotates if you tilt it by 0.0001 degree.

Turning off auto-rotate can improve things. Turning off the need to enter a code also improves things, but both have quite obvious downsides!

Some of these issues aren't S60 specific; there are quirks with the SE software. In fact, some people say the Orange front-end is actually quite good!
Jonathan Morris
Twitter @jmcomms
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-11-21 11:03
See my post in this thread. I.e, I would like the ability to control whether GPS and WiFi radio is on or off in the profile settings. and some other features, like display backlight timeout, keylock timeout, etc.
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-11-21 13:57
It seems the ringtone gap bug is totally random, sometimes the gap is about 2 secs and sometimes 4 secs for the same ringtone
As for SMS tone...the gap is huge
Prince Vegeta,prince of all sayans
Administrator in Dailymobile
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-11-21 14:48
Quote:

On 2009-11-21 13:57:40, vegetaleb wrote:
It seems the ringtone gap bug is totally random, sometimes the gap is about 2 secs and sometimes 4 secs for the same ringtone
As for SMS tone...the gap is huge

I think its because it needs a couple of seconds to search for the number from the callerID in order to decide which signal to play
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-11-21 17:06
So it's slower than all the other SE phones?
Anyway someone knows if the Aino has the same problem?
Prince Vegeta,prince of all sayans
Administrator in Dailymobile
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-21 21:25
The Aino is a totally different hardware and software platform, so it won't be comparable.

That said, I am finding it hard to find the Aino in the UK.. O2 had an exclusive on the phone in white, yet it seems to have disappeared. If the Aino has gone and now Carphone Warehouse (aka Phone House) has withdrawn it, this is going to be devastating for Sony Ericsson; the first two 'Entertainment Unlimited' handsets not being sold in the UK!
Jonathan Morris
Twitter @jmcomms
dipb
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-22 01:28
improve the flash performance.
pictures taken in same environment and lighting conidition by K800 is better than Satio
The Satio pictures are darker.
Monaco
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-22 03:19
I really want to know who is sending me text messages before I open them. Don't ask why, I would just like to know if I HAVE check it if I was pre-occupied doing other things.
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2009-11-22 06:26
Along with some of these interesting and most-wanted features like more volume ( specially the speaker one ), I would like to add some other's

1- support to choose encoding for Media files ( MP3 tags and so on ), in my old W960i I was able to choose the encoding my self so every thing was okay, now i need to use some encoding ( don't know yet which one, Unicode or UTF8 )... there's no software that can automatically change your Tags to other encoding !1

2- like G900, let's have a torch software !!

3- Faster GPS lock, it's too slow some times it take 3 - 5 minutes !! and sometimes it take 1 minute !1

4- adding taskmanager to end frozen applications, at least just add option to end any application in the running application menu that appears when we hold the application botton ( the center one )

5- have a hardware key to switch between languages rather than going into long menus just to change langauges, for example just use the stillpicture/video botton when the camera is not active, or bu holding another keys ( volume for example )

6- support for smilies in SMS !!

7- adding an option to automatically switch the keyboard layout when making the phone in horizontal or portrait... for example when the phone in usual mode ( portrait ) and we have the keyboard layout in alphanumeric keypad, rotating the phone to horizontal mode will automatically switch the keyboard to full qwerty ofcourse using the built-in sensors... and this function can be turned on or off... or add anothe hardware key to quicky change the mode ( by holding one of the volume keys.. so one for changing language, and another to change keyboard layout )

8- duo to the fact the back of the phone is not flat ( the camera cover ), when having the phone on flat surface, the auto sensor will detect a small tilt.. I hope we have an option in the sensors setting to adjust and reset the sensors...

9- will it be hard to add support for rotating the screen regardless of it's orientation ? I mean to force it to rotate or to force it to restore it's original view..

10- expand the touch area for the top status bar in the standby screen

11- when pressing the call button in standby, the list of calls will come, this is nice, but i'm missing to original SE fashion for having the default view for all calls ( incoming, outgoing and missed ) rather than having the default on incoming.. I think the reason for this is coz we dont have a full call list the includes all of these !!

12- It's silly that the phone will list all your pictures/sound when you need to choose one, for example if I want to change the rington and want to select my own then it will shows all my audio+video files in one list !! what a hell if some one has hundreds of media files and he don't remember the first character or he add's numbers in the beggining of all his media files ( track number ) how in the hell he will find this !!.. Same goes when I want to select a picture, for example selecting a contact picture... please just bring me SE's way of browsing for my files !!

13- Fix the message sort by date bug ( here )
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-11-22 10:35

:
4- adding taskmanager to end frozen applications, at least just add option to end any application in the running application menu that appears when we hold the application botton ( the center one )
:

There is one already: Press and hold the middle button. A list of all running applications appears. Tapping either of them will jump to that program. If you instead press and hold the screen over one of the icons, you will get a menu with two options: "go to" and "end it" (I'm not sure about the exact phrases, but that is the meaning of them)
I learnt this in another thread in this forum.
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2009-11-22 10:52
^^^

wow, I didn't know this one !!

Thanks bro, now it's much better
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic