Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?

Previous  123 ... 11 121314  Next
Author iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 01:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The iPod shuffle Is Overpriced and Underfeatured:

http://lowendmac.com/evan/05/0218.html

Report: new iPod nano is immensely overpriced:

http://www.pureoverclock.com/story1483.html

According to figures from iSuppli, quoted by BusinessWeek, Apple's new iPod nano systems are immensely overpriced. iSuppli estimates that the parts used in the unit cost Apple $58.85 for the 4GB $149 model, and $82.85 for the 8GB $199 version.

Also, on the Iphones launch in the US, Apple were making 45% profit on every iphone sold.

Im not trolling, im just telling the truth, not my fault if you cant handle being ripped off by apple

N95 and K850i are free on £35 a month with like 600 minutes and 1000 texts or someting? I-phone is £269 with 200 mins and 200 texts?

It doesnt take a genious to figure out that people buying them are being conned and ripped off.

Oh, and before you bring the data into it, go and compare to T-mobiles web'n'walk plans which are much cheaper for data. Like the following one:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/sho[....]bnwalk-plus-5-off-line-rental/

And for comparison to the £45 per month rariff, heres a much better deal:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/sho[....]bnwalk-plus-5-off-line-rental/

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-10-08 00:55 ]
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-08 08:48
Tell me you are kidding, complaining that the cost of manufacture is ~$60 and the retail is $149, swwing as on top of the mere parts you have to add R+D, Premises Overheads, Staff Wages, and Taxes, to name but a few, and the markup really isn't that much if your figures are correct.

Shoes cost approximately $5 to make, and sell for ~$100-200, Jeans cost ~$2 to make and sell from anywhere from $50 to $$200 so lets be honest here, taking a maunfacturing cost of $60 and charging $149 isn't ridiculous, it's just business, EVERY company in the world has large markups, are you honestly trying to tell me that the markup on SE and Nokia phones is any less than Apple, or that any other Electronics manufacturer has less of a profit margin, no, so don't come here bashing one company, whomever that may be.

In your generalisation, all electronics goods are overpriced, in fact all goods on the planet are overpriced based on your model.

As has been said many times, you seem to have an unhealthy hatred for all things apple, did Steve Jobs tocuh you as a child? or What? because to have such a hatred for one company, without reasoning or informative backup, is just unhealthy and quite disturbing.

If you don't like it then thats fine but for christ sake shut up about it already, we've now hit like 10-15 posts by you doing nothing but slating something you have never used, simply because it is made by an "evil" corporation.

Sorry, I have nothing against you and am not trying to force my opinions on you, but you need to do the same. We all know where you stand, so please refrain from clogging up a thread with needless and unsubstantiated spam, either come with something constructive, maybe if you ever actually use the phone in question, or just leave things alone.

it's not for you we all know that but how can you turn a simple, "I don't like it, don't think I'll be getting one" into a needless and petty rant against the corporate "machine" that is Apple, beacuse Microsoft, Sony, Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, are al innocent and don't make any profit on any of their goods.

Yeh, didn't think so.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 10:31
This thread is about whether O2 and CPW will, legally, have to unlock the iPhone.

Once again, Bhavv has come along and started talking about totally irrelevant stuff like the cost of manufacturing an iPod(!) even though he clearly has absolutely no understanding of the additional costs of R&D, marketing, distribution etc. that make up the final retail price of products.

So, if this thread doesn't get back on topic pretty sharpish, expect it to get locked just like the last iPhone thread he hi-jacked.

So, let's just ignore him and get back on topic.

----

Has anyone actually found any definitive proof of the legal status of providing phone unlocks in the UK?

OFCOM's stance (from 2001) has been posted. But is this the current law, or just industry guidelines?

Has anyone found any more recent official information on the topic?
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 15:59

In your generalisation, all electronics goods are overpriced, in fact all goods on the planet are overpriced based on your model.

As has been said many times, you seem to have an unhealthy hatred for all things apple,

1) N95, K850i, G600, LG Viewty are FREE on contracts. Iphone is £269. Why is that then? Care to explain? Are you telling me that each Iphone costs £269 more to make then every other phone on the market? How are free phones overpriced under my generalisation?

2) I dont hate all things apple, I would buy one if it was FREE on a contract like every other phone is. But why pay £269 when I can get a better phone for free?

Apple are making ridiculous amounts of money for this handset. £269 for each sale plus commision off the tariffs.Comparing Jeans and Clothes to a phone isnt a comparison. Compare it to prices of other phones.

When you buy an Ipod nano or touch, you aren't paying for an 18 or 24 month contract on top.

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-10-08 15:03 ]
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 16:18
@Bhavv

What has anything you've been arguing about had to do with the actual topic of this thread?

Serious question.
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 16:30

On 2007-10-08 16:18:28, mswallis wrote:
@Bhavv

What has anything you've been arguing about had to do with the actual topic of this thread?

Serious question.

On 2007-10-02 23:09:57, redgaz26 wrote:

what's the view then of the non apple fan boys? is this just another phone or the future of the mobile?

I was giving an honest answer to that question. Guess none of you can handle opinons of non apple fanboys so why bother asking in the first place?

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-10-08 15:31 ]
WelshTom
K610 silver
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 19:42
Things are worth whatever people are willing to pay. Apple have spent the money on R&D and marketing in order to create the brand reputation they currently enjoy - and as such they price their products accordingly. It's supply and demand - simple as that! It is evident in every single sector of the global economy. Gucci, Bentley, Bang & Olufsen, Premium Airlines - the list goes on and on, all companies that charge a premium for their respective products even though their bottom line and product is not that much different/better than that of their rivals.

If you don't feel the product is worth the money (which I am sure a lot of people don't) then simply vote with your money and don't buy it.

What really annoys me is the way anyone who sticks-up for apple just gets called a 'fan-boy'.
redgaz26
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 23:07
a quote from another forum I've been reading "For all of its shortcomings, hands down it's the single coolest piece of tech I have ever owned"

now to me that sums it up. yes it's not perfect but was is?
i can't wait for Nov 9th.
buy it or stick to what you have!!!!!!
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 23:24

On 2007-10-08 10:31:14, JoolsG4 wrote:
Has anyone actually found any definitive proof of the legal status of providing phone unlocks in the UK?

OFCOM's stance (from 2001) has been posted. But is this the current law, or just industry guidelines?

Has anyone found any more recent official information on the topic?

Well.. if all ofcom has is from 2001, that has to be the current law.. although I'm 99.9% sure there's an EU wide law that pretty much defines the same thing, and it slightly later than 2001
gar1
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 06:48
do at&t still get offered a pay as you go sim if they fail the credit check? i see its not offered on o2. according to their faq section, if you fail the credit check you have to send the phone back!!
i can hear appsnapp calling me on friday !!
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 16:43
A quick question lads - who's going to risk buying the iPhone and then gamble on getting the unlock code???

As much as I think the iPhone is overpriced for what it is, and fact that I have a VIII with tweaks which pretty much makes it do all the flash iPhone stuff, I'm seriously thinking about buying one as I may get a discount via a friend. I'll then try my luck/try the law, and ask for an unlock code Very risky as obviously i'd have to register a contract with 02 first and then ask for it to be canceled!!
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-03 16:58
There were rumours that the french iphones are going to be unlocked due a french law. How true this is I dont know.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 17:18
they are gonna be unlocked - but will cost aout 600 quid to buy.
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 18:18
the french ones have to be unlocked!!

like have to..

no questions about it!
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 18:41
Hi all,

As the OP of this thread the time is approaching when we will find out one way or the other, but like Fatreg has said i am also 99.9% sure they will have to. But and it really is a big but a lot depends on if Apple and 02 have been reading all these types of post's around the web, as my understanding is this will only apply if you are buying your device outright and this really is the Key factor. Now if Apple and 02 have some how added some clever wording to the iPhone at point of purchase we are all screwed if not i believe they are the ones with the problem.

Also as i mentioned much earlier until Apple and 02 release the device and refuse to unlock it OFCOM can't look into it or act, now I'm really not well so doubt i am going to be able to get to an Apple store to purchase one or even sure if i want to, so it may take some other brave soul to take the risk. Having said that it appears it is now possible to unlock iPhones with 1.12 firmware any way so not really as much of a risk as once thought.

@Bhav

Please respect the title of the thread if you wish to make your points start a thread with a relevant title as what you are saying as pointed out by some here has nothing at all to do with the subject we are discussing at all. We also all know they only thing that makes the things we buy expensive is profit it's just a fact of life.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-03 17:42 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 11 121314  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic