Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Customers Rate Sony Ericsson Handsets Highest

12  Next
Author Customers Rate Sony Ericsson Handsets Highest
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-11-17 09:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Customers Rate Sony Ericsson Handsets Highest

Sony Ericsson received the highest ratings in handset durability, and performed particularly well in features and battery functionality, J.D. Power and Associates said.

By Antone Gonsalves

InformationWeek

Nov 16, 2006 06:49 PM

Sony Ericsson customers rate its handsets the highest, compared with owners of mobile phones from other manufacturers, a survey showed.

Sony Ericsson received the highest ratings in handset durability, and performed particularly well in features and battery functionality, J.D. Power and Associates said. Other factors covered in the survey of people who owned their phones for less than two years were operation and physical design.

New models and a general improvement in overall reliability were major contributors to the handset manufacturer recording the most improvement of any brand in the last three J.D. Power surveys. "Sony Ericsson has come a long way in enhancing overall customer satisfaction, as efforts to improve their product lineup have really paid off," Kirk Parsons, senior director of wireless services at the firm, said in a statement.

Rounding out the top 5 vendors behind Sony Ericsson were LG Electronics, Sanyo, Motorola, and Samsung, respectively.

The study also found that the average purchase price for a mobile phone increased $8 to $94, the highest since 1994, when phones averaged $99, J.D. Power said. The increase is partially due to the popularity of thin phones, such as the Motorola Razr, and music-enabled phones, both of which usually cost more.

The handset feature used most frequently by survey respondents was the speakerphone, followed by camera capabilities, messaging and gaming, respectively.

The study also finds several key wireless handset usage patterns:

• The average replacement cycle for a typical handset is 16.6 months-a notable decrease from 18 months in 2005.
  • Handset features that are used most frequently include:
    the speakerphone (32%); camera capabilities (27%); services to send/receive short messages (25%); and gaming (16%).
  • More than one-half of all current wireless users compared other handset brands before selecting their current wireless phone. Those customers who compare phones during the selection process are more likely to be satisfied overall with their current handset than those who do not.

Overall Wireless Mobile Phone Rankings
(Based on a 1,000-point scale)

Sony Ericsson 745
LG 735
Sanyo 733
Motorola 732
Industry Average 726
Samsung 725
Nokia 713
Kyocera 711
UTStarcom (Audiovox) 707

NOTE: Rankings based on responses from customers who have owned their mobile phone handset for less than two years.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-11-17 09:03 ]
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-17 10:02
"Rounding out the top 5 vendors behind Sony Ericsson were LG Electronics, Sanyo, Motorola, and Samsung, respectively."

No Nokia
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-17 10:15
Not only that but also 13 points below the industry average.

Nokia will not be pleased.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
LikeNoOther
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-17 10:15
Wow that's BRILLIANT!
Now read this:

Press releases: Luis Camino, 14 Nov 06 15:20

Sony Ericsson receives all possible awards across Europe

The Spanish Television and Press Graphic Reporters Association (accronym banned) has awarded the K800 the distinction of the Best Cameraphone of 2006, as an outstanding product that helps the professional photographer optimize his job.

In the United Kingdom, Sony Ericsson has also been awarded by consumers with the Best Manufacturer Of The Year award, the Best Mobile Phone Of The Year award to the K800 —which also was voted the “Readers’ Dream Phone“—, and the Best Music Phone award to the W810.

Finally, the German edition of the Connect magazine granted, with readers’s votes, the awards of Best Cameraphone to the K800 (45,2% of the votes, and the apparently-not-so-old K750 being in third place), Best Music Phone to the W810 (with 59,9% of the votes), Best 3G Phone to the W900, and Best PDA Phone to the P990 (hmm…).

To summarize, Sony Ericsson nowadays seems to be losing the “best phone with wheels and facial hair” category only, or whatever. Unstoppable! [Via Spanish Press Release]

Source: clubsonyericsson.com

jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-17 10:40
I presume the results are from america.

This message was posted from a K800i
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-17 10:41
Brilliant Results, well done
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-17 10:42
Excellent news, especially from the JD Power people, who are well respected.

Though it does seem to be a US survey, due to the odd spelling, Sanyo handsets, and only 25% using the SMS capability of their phones? Still very good news for SE, as it is a market they are still trying to penetrate further I believe.

[quote]
The Spanish Television and Press Graphic Reporters Association (accronym banned) [/quote#

Why's the acronym banned, is it a swearword in Spanish?
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-11-17 11:04
Quote:

On 2006-11-17 10:40:28, jcwhite_uk wrote:
I presume the results are from america.

Yeah, I think so too. Nokia should really be higher, they aren't as bad as Motorolas, but we all know how biased Americans are in favour of Motorola (which is its home country).

The SMS usage reports prove the point. People in the US never use SMS for some reason.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-17 11:18
i don't think the survey is based on US customers because SE doesn't market very much there. they barely have any quad-band phones, maybe 2 or 3 at most. and none would work on the US 3G frequency i believe. but i could be wrong.

this should make all the complainers think twice. life could be much worse. you could have been stuck with another brand...

great job SE! quality over quantity.

[ This Message was edited by: senninha on 2006-11-17 10:27 ]
LikeNoOther
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-17 11:28
""[quote]
The Spanish Television and Press Graphic Reporters Association (accronym banned) [/quote# "

Why's the acronym banned, is it a swearword in Spanish? "

lol..I have'nt the slightest clue why the accronym was banned.
But some good news for SE.
deluded
C901 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-11-17 13:26
Good news indeed! SE's on a roll! I think without even looking at the statistics, it's quite apparent that SE's garnering more support, at least over here where I am. I used to see Nokias everywhere, now I see everybody with an SE. Loving it!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
xan K
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-11-17 13:34
more flowers for Sony Ericsson! I am also so very curious about the banned acronym too!
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2006-11-17 14:10
Wonderful news indeed! We've been saying this about nokia- they manufacture so many devices at the expense of quality. Well done SE.
baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-11-17 14:36
SE ranked #1 and rightfully so
polish_boy
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-17 14:47
SE Rules !