“The cell phone is an integral part of the single females life, serving as a pocket-size detective, matchmaker, wing-woman and beyond. It is now officially a girl’s best friend,” said Randy Smith, VP of channel marketing for Samsung.
Among the survey findings:
- More than two-thirds of women (73%) of women have ditched traditional, paper address books for their cell phones to keep track of contacts.
- The average number of cell phone contacts is 63.
- Almost one-third of respondents said they can tell a good amount about a person by the type of cell phone they have (32%).
- Some 12% of females surveyed said that they would be less likely to date someone if they had a big and bulky cell phone.
- Nearly three-quarters of females surveyed look at their cell phone, rather than their watch, to get the time (74%).
- More than one out of three SMFs have had a friend call them to interrupt a date (34%).
- A whopping 70% said they have snooped on their significant other’s cell phone - for example, by looking through text messages or picking up their phone to see who is calling.
- Single mobile females use cell phones to avoid calls: 40% have faked technical difficulties to avoid someone they were not interested in dating.
- Nearly four out of ten (39%) single women have suffered from “text shame:” sending a text message and then waking up the next morning realizing that they said something they shouldn’t have.
- Nearly half of survey respondents prefer to flirt with someone they are interested in via text message when they are away from them (48%).
- More than 10% of females surveyed say the “three day rule” - waiting to call someone until three days after a first date - only applies to calling, and one can send a text message to someone before day three (13%).
- 78% of females surveyed prefer to give their cell phone number to someone they are attracted to.
About the study: The survey, commissioned by Samsung, was conducted by Kelton Research and included more than 500 US unmarried females ages 18 to 35 who have a cell phone. source:marketingcharts samsung