Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > 512Mb Sandisk Duo Pro 1024Mb capacity?

Previous  123 ... 1213 141516  Next
Author 512Mb Sandisk Duo Pro 1024Mb capacity?
Tervel
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-07 19:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm using the drivers downloaded from SE's web site. The same driver that allowed me to see the 'extra' unallocated space on the MS. Explain what happens when you plug the phone (with no MS card) to the computer? What should happen is that you get an additional drive letter with no media in it (double clicking now will ask you to insert media in it.). Then plug in the MS - does the phone lock up now? If not, wait and see if Windows will detect the media being inserted and prompt you for action (start media player, blah blah, open folder).
i99olmi
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-08 10:26
Finally!

My phone is in good shape again and I have never been happier to have 512 mb memory;).

Thank you for the help Tervel! I had to put Windows in Safe-Mode and disable all other USB-devices to make sure nothing were interfering. It still was tricky to read the folders, since they appeared empty and I had to reboot a couple of times. Then I removed my mp3folder and unplugged it to see if my phone could recognise the card. Unfortunately not! I had to reboot, Safe-Mode, and format it in explorer. Then the phone recognised it and I formatted it once again for sure in the phone. To sum up...

Don't do this at home kids, it's not worth the hassle!
johnpete
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-08 15:17
Just as well, I wanted to try this out. And yep, my 1GB sandisk showed up with unallocated space & I was able to re-partition it to have access to 1.85GB. Unfortunately, it still won't accept files beyond 949MB, although it does work with no apparent bugs (as yet), but it's effectively still just a 1gb ms that misleadingly tells me I still have 900+ mb of free space. I formatted it in a card reader using FAT32 on a Win2K system. I may just try it on FAT or FAT16, but only if I have more free time, cos apparently the bugs cost time & may induce a bit of a panic.

I thought there were successful attempts? Or did everyone eventually succumb to bugs?
Jordan17
W880 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-11-08 23:33
Do you think the name "Memory Stick Pro Duo" refers to the actual capacity of the memory stick?
kson
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-09 14:39
*johnpete

It worked like a charm for me as long as I uploaded files with the usbcable direct to the phone but the filetransfer bug made me buy a usb2 card reader and that couldnīt write anything above the 460(or something)mb mark
If you can't be happy naturally, be unnaturally happy.
stangenov
K510
PM
Posted: 2005-11-09 14:41
This not work with my Sandisk 128 mb !
K510i user
Tervel
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-09 15:29
@i99olmi - I'm glad you finally got it resolved. I think I might have forgotten a step there - at one point of time, after I was able to read the memstick in windows I think I did format it once again to the 1.85 capacity and then, while it had no files on it, I was able to get the phone to recognize it and reformat it back to it's true capacity. I'm thinking about testing it out once again, but this time loading the files via the phone instead of an external card reader. I'll post my results once I do that.
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-09 22:06
so just to get things straight.
Now is this a glitch or is it something true?
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
johnpete
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-10 03:49
@kson
So if I try it again, but this time using the cable to transfer files, instead of my card reader, I'll be okay? You did mention having filetransfer bugs - what kind are they? what happens? do you still have them up to now?

[ This Message was edited by: johnpete on 2005-11-10 02:50 ]
johnpete
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-10 09:48
Quote:

On 2005-11-09 14:39:37, kson wrote:

It worked like a charm for me as long as I uploaded files with the usbcable direct to the phone but the filetransfer bug made me buy a usb2 card reader and that couldnīt write anything above the 460(or something)mb mark

Ok, I tried it again on my 1gb sandisk, but the same thing still happens - I still can't write anything once I've reached around 940MB, whether on a USB card reader or using the DCU cable with the phone. I also tried bluetooth, but with a single partition on the card, the BT dongle can't even see the MS's contents & just keeps searching endlessly.

@Kson,
You did mention it worked like a charm for you with cable to phone. But you also said you had a filetransfer bug. What was the bug like? So the bug happens while transferring via directcable to phone? It wasn't exactly working like a charm?

@Everyone else,
To repeat my question: Is there anyone out there (especially the previous posters who had initial success and were able to transfer files more than the supposed 512MB/1GB capacity) who continue to enjoy larger capacity on their MS using this trick? Or did everyone eventually succumb to bugs that made you format your MS back in the end?
Tzel
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-11-12 06:10
I need some help getting my memory stick back too My problem is alike to that of i99olmi..but the method presented by Tervel didn't work.

What happened:
1. I reformatted my 512MB to a 1GB. This part went ok.
2. Next, having heard people saying it couldn't go beyond the 512MB mark, I decided to test by moving a 700MB realplayer file into the stick.
3. I dunno what happened next. An error message came up while moving. It can't be because I shifted the position of my phone right? The USB didn't unplug.
4. Anyway, from then, I couldn't read the stick in my phone. It also turns up empty in My Computer. The drive was there, but under 'Properties', it had 0MB available and 0MB used. It appears to be totally undetectable by both phone and comp.

I totally panicked..then I tried Tervel's tips:
1. So I connected the phone without the memory stick inserted. Like he said, the drive appeared. I inserted the stick when prompted (ie when I double clicked the new drive)
2. The drive opened! I could see the 3 folders (MSEMMC, DCIM and the other) plus the Reaplayer file in it.
3. But at the same time, the autoplay kicked in, and the window asking if I wanted to play files, open folder etc appeared.
4. Note that the folder became 'busy' once the autoplay kicked in.
5. After the autoplay came out, the drive reverted to unreadable.
6. I attempted deleting the Realplayer file, but error message saying the folder could not be found or something came up.
7. Refreshing after that resulted in blank drive (0MB)
8. I can't format it coz it doesn't show up in the Disk Management screen (or whatever the name of the window the drive was first formatted in)

So...didn't work for me :'( Could someone please provide me with some tips or guidance to get my card back? I would appreciate it really really much. Thanks.
Yellow-Snow
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-12 06:24
Here is my theory... As of right now.. noone has actually loaded their memory beyond the sticker size.. BUT i think its possible.. Why?

Dosent it seem VERY reasonable that the company produces 1 gig sticks and when their is a "bad sector" they just "maybe hardwire" the bad sector out.. keep the good sectors and slap on a 512mb sticker.. Anywho.. maybe they hardwire? maybe they just disable it.. and there is a way to enable it? But all in all.. this is my theory of what happens..
Hambo
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-14 04:42
I was thinking, someone with some time on their hands should do a "informed" survey. Get, I don't know 100 or so people to all double their MSD, and use them for a predetermined period of time. Then report the results back in. Then, and only then, will we know what the odds are getting this to work, and what conditions are needed.

Then again, it would seem like too much work, and I know when I get my w800i next month, Im going to be trying it.
Tervel
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-14 06:39
@Tzel
Try to do the same procedure as you were doing, but when you insert the MemStick hold down the Shift key, this should prevent AutoStart which causes the memory to lock up. As soon as you have the memory in place, Right-click on My Computer and go to Manage, from there go to Disk Manage under the Storage Section and try to re-format the MemStick. You might also try having the Computer Manage cosole open already before you plug in the memstick. If there is no attempt to 'access' teh file which is causing the hang up, you might be able to format the MemStick to the 'bogus' capacity.

If this works for you, now you have a choice. Try to load files on it at the extended capacity, or unplug your phone from the USB cable and format the MemStick using the phone to it's TRUE capacity.

Good Luck
Yellow-Snow
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-15 05:23
Quote:

On 2005-11-14 06:39:51, Tervel wrote:
@Tzel
Try to do the same procedure as you were doing, but when you insert the MemStick hold down the Shift key, this should prevent AutoStart which causes the memory to lock up. As soon as you have the memory in place, Right-click on My Computer and go to Manage, from there go to Disk Manage under the Storage Section and try to re-format the MemStick. You might also try having the Computer Manage cosole open already before you plug in the memstick. If there is no attempt to 'access' teh file which is causing the hang up, you might be able to format the MemStick to the 'bogus' capacity.

If this works for you, now you have a choice. Try to load files on it at the extended capacity, or unplug your phone from the USB cable and format the MemStick using the phone to it's TRUE capacity.

Good Luck

Um.. with my w800i.. I repartitioned my phone memory to one gig.. Tried to format it with my phone and it auto sets it back to 512..

imo noone has gotten it to work.. they thought they did and posted but didn't..

Quote:

On 2005-11-14 04:42:47, Hambo wrote:
I was thinking, someone with some time on their hands should do a "informed" survey. Get, I don't know 100 or so people to all double their MSD, and use them for a predetermined period of time. Then report the results back in. Then, and only then, will we know what the odds are getting this to work, and what conditions are needed.

Then again, it would seem like too much work, and I know when I get my w800i next month, Im going to be trying it.

go ahead and try it.. 10$ it wont work untill we figure out a way to use the memory.. maybe there is some form of index for the memory? idk something.. We need a computer architect to explain why we are seeing what we are.. and if it is actually free memory.. how the company stops us from using it/ what we can do..

[ This Message was edited by: Yellow-Snow on 2005-11-15 04:26 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 1213 141516  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic