Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > V800 No network Access issues

Author V800 No network Access issues
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-04-11 14:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Vlamm

That's as may be, but posting in a mobile phone forum full of phone geeks and suggesting that they not do things like modify their firmware is akin to to asking a Trekkers not to wear pointed ears.

I think the chap has realised that people here are intereted in such topics (the firmware, not the ears) and, whilst entitled to his views, the majority here don't share them.

I think this discussion would benefit from getting back on track.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-11 21:03
@bobbajob

There is nothing wrong with my SIM. I tried it in an 2G handset and it works fine. The thing is, I have full reception, both 3G and GSM. I just can't make any calls. Whenever I try to I get the three beeps. If I switch to GSM only it works fine, using the Voda SIM.

When I tried another operator in my newly liberated V800 it worked fine with 3G as well as GSM in the same place as Vodafone gave me the three beeps. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that there is something wrong with the network in my area. This is what I have told Vodafone when I called them to tell them to get their shit together and stop giving me the run around.

[ This Message was edited by: Gunslinger on 2005-04-11 20:04 ]
Bobajobbob
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-12 21:31
My new battery finally arrived at work so by tomorrow night I will have a better idea as to whether it is Vodafone 3G causing the problems or whether it was a individual handset problem.
Bobajobbob
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-13 22:57
OK so finally I have my new (second hand) handset and a new battery and it seems to be working! I am sitting at home with reception! I haven't run extensive tests but all seems well and if I choose GSM only there is a noticeable difference with this handset in that it is actually connecting to the GSM network

The only bummer now is that I just realised that the second hand hand set that they replaced my 2 week old phone with has a dodgy volume button....doh. Life is too short to moan about that but double doh all the same.
Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-14 16:00
Then it works as well (or as bad) as mine does. GSM only at home and 3G/GSM everywhere else. I'm going to call Voda tomorrow as it is then one week since I reported the faulty network in my area.
Bobajobbob
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-14 17:33
I can live with only GSM at home. That is fair enough. Thick walls etc. What I couldn't live with was no connectivity at all.
Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-16 15:41
Then maybe our problems are different. I had full signal strength on both 3G and GSM but no connectivity. If I switched to GSM only, I still had full signal strength, but was able to make calls. I can't see that this is a problem with the phone (especially since it is only at home I have this.) Whenever Voda decides to have a look at the mast I will post whatever they find out.
Bobajobbob
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-16 19:22
I am only speculating based on my experience but the problem with my old phone seemed to be that it could nto connect to the GSM signal even when it was present. When 3G was available there was no big problems except even then it was patchy and woudl drop calls occasionally.

I could select GSM only from the menu but it didn't seem to actually do anything as in 3 g areas I could still connect but again as soon as 3g dropped off I couldn't access the network.

It does indeed sound like we had different issues.
Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-28 23:30
I got a call today from Vodafone asking if I had noticed any change in connectivity. As I had permenently switched 3G off I said no, but would try it when I got home. And to my surprise it actually worked! My phone now has both 3G and GSM! Voda got their sh*ite together and fixed the antenna and now it works.
Bobajobbob
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-05-03 14:25
I must admit I just turn off 3g these days. Battery life is better that way and I dont' get interupted calls or the inability to make calls. I might turn it back on if any services every come out worth using or if any of my friends/family pick up a 3g phone too.
Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-05-05 22:45
I have near zero use of 3G, I bought the V800 because I think its a great phone. It just pisses me off when I buy something and it doesn't work...
skearon
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-05-24 16:13
Have been using my V800 (now Z800 flashed) for about 6 weeks, however for the past two days I am getting No Network Access msgs, or three beeps when making calls, or people can't hear me

Is it likely the phone suddenly went faulty (not dropped, exposed to water etc)? Or Vodafone Ireland are having problems (they deny)

SIM works fine in T610 phone
Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-05-25 00:27
Voda gave me the run around for a looooong time before they admitted that my area had network issues and sent a tech to fix it. Does it happen in the same place every time or does it change place?
skearon
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-05-25 01:46
Multiple areas, was working fine for 6 weeks until Sunday!

My SIM works fine in Motorola A920, plus SIM from my Vodafone 3G card also displays No Network Access when in my V800

[ This Message was edited by: skearon on 2005-05-25 00:50 ]
avetrash
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-05-25 12:36
I live in the Netherlands and my problems started last week. Yes, i also get the no network and the famous 3 beeps when calling. A collegae of mine doesn't have these problems and has same phone!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi