Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > V800 No network Access issues

Author V800 No network Access issues
merrik
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-09 01:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi All,

Had a quick browse but could`nt find anything to help me out.
Today i noticed i was getting the message in the subject instead of vodafone UK.
I have gone to manual network selection and then select network. There are two options for vodafone. One has a small blue "cross" in the top left corner of the voda logo. This one pops up the 3G icon & Gprs icon and signal strength but i now also get a small phone with a red cross through the upper right portion.

The second vodafone option which does not have the blue cross seems fine but i am assuming that is a 2G only network selection.

I phoned my provider who checked with the network who claim there are no network faults currently. The "no access to network" now seems to have gone but does come back now and then.

Any thoughts?? i would rather the phone worked as it was supposed to and not have to change network selection menus to manual etc. But do i have a faulty handset? or sim? or is this just network issues?

I have screen captures of the phone screens

Thanks in advance for you help

a frustrated Merrik
Detellis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-09 15:42
Hi - I have this same issue at my house and a few other locations, as does a friend of mine. I have also seen a handful of other posts around the Internet regarding this too.

I tested another V800 at my house with R1J firmware that worked 100% fine, but even though I have upgraded my own firmware to R1J it does not seem to have helped.

Have you had the phone since launch? are you in a 3G or 2G service area? I have the problem right now with 4 bars of 2G service, but my suspicion is the very weak 3G signal nearby is interfering with it somehow. I cannot make or receive calls and just hear 3 beeps when I try, and after a while either "no access to network" or a phone with a red cross over it is displayed.

I have only been living here for 3 weeks, but had no problems at all in 2+ months preceding this.

Any information is welcomed, please post here if you are having the same issue.
Tokyo_Tim
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-13 10:51
I have exactly the same problem. I purchased my phone here in Japan on a Vodafone 3g contract.. and it has been working fine for over a month. I also went overseas (Thailand, Singapore and Australia) and it roamed without issue.

I then unlocked the SIM lock on my phone.. and since then, it's been having network issues (especially outside of Japan). When outside of Japan, I VERY often receive the 'No Network Access' message, and also the picture of the phone with the red cross on it. I also find that if I turn my phone off and on, it'll sometimes connect to the network, and then drop out after a short while.

Not sure if removing the SIM Lock was just a coincidence, or the cause, but considering most other people DON'T have this problem, I'm guessing that some of us have a bad batch of phones. I'm planning on taking mine back to the Vodafone store in Japan to swap it over (if they'll let me swap it over!).
gcchui
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-17 18:13
I have exactly the same prob
my phone shows 'no access to the network' when i'm at home (2G area) and it works prefectly fine at 3G area

i've sent back my phone to vodafone for a repair, and waiting...............

where can i read other case of the same prob?
Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-21 13:10
I got my V800 last friday, and have the same problem. I called customer service and they told me to go to a Vodafone store so that they could return it to SE. It really pisses me off that I get a phone on friday, have to spend the whole weekend waiting for a new sim card, only to discover that the sh*te doesn't work anyway.

I can tell you that I'm not going to leave that store before I have a working phone in my hand. Mine or another.
Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-21 18:57
Just want to give you an update. I packed my brand new V800 into the box and drove off to the Vodafone store. Once there the salesman assembled it to try it it and voilá it worked fine.

As there was nothing wrong with it I brought it home again, and it has been fin the full 30 min I have been home.
Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-21 20:15
And now the problem is back. I called customer service and after a few checks they narrowed it down to a faulty firmware (big surpise...). I was advised to call the Vodastore tomorrow to see if they can upgrade the firmware.
Detellis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-22 15:52
Sorry to hear about that Gunslinger....

I now have back in my possession a working V800 and my own faulty V800 which cannot make calls from my house. Looking through the service menu ( accessed by > * < < * < * on the phone keypad, under 'Service Info' then 'Software Info') there appears to be a slight difference. As I say, I upgraded to R1J, but there is a section under here titled as 'Customization'. My V800 reads as :

CDA102295/7 R20A
cxc 125840 R1J002
EU6_VA

On the working V800 it has R30A at the end of the first line. Anyone have any idea how to extract the customization from one phone and copy it to another?? The Sony Ericsson update service tells me I have their latest s/w....

Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-23 19:28
Good for you Detellis, I have not had the same luck. I managed to nag enough on the salesman in the Vodastore to get a new phone (just in order to rule out any hardware failure). Of course this handset didn't work either, so I called customer service and they didn't have a clue so they passed me on to SE support here in Sweden. Their advice was for me to go to a SE service point and have the very latest FW installed, I don't remember the number, but it ended with 025 I think. Of course, this didn't work either so I called Voda support, but all they could do is credit me for my costs of driving 200 km to and from the Voda store. Tomorrow I'm going to try
the SE support again.

Does anybody here know if this problem is due to the Vodafone branding? I.e. would unbranding the handset fix it?

I asked the SE support, but berely saying the word unbranding made the support guy uncomfortable. He didn't know as the firmware for Z800 "was not yet available" (yeah right...).

Well thats all for now. Will keep posting to let you know how this developes.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I now can choose from GSM and 3G or GSM only. Running GSM only works, but that kind of ruins the point of a 3Gphone...

[ This Message was edited by: Gunslinger on 2005-03-23 18:31 ]
Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-27 00:28
Hi guys!

New info on the no network problem. Seems like the problems are with my locla 3G antenna, and not with my phone! After having done som field studies, it seems that the phone does switch between 3G and GSM, everywhere, but in my own house (and about 1km radius from it.) I told Vodafone and they are going to check the mast/antenna as soon as the easter holidays are over.
Tahir Ally
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-27 15:16
I was going to buy a V800 in South Africa when it will be available in April 05 but with all these problems my second option will be SHARP 902.I hope these bugs will be fixed soon

This message was posted from a P900

Detellis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-27 21:28
Have just updated the firmware to R1S025 through the SEUS but the problem still exists. The customization still reads as:
CDA 102295/7 R20A

As I mentioned, the working V800 that I have borrowed has R30A at the end. It also has the 'GSM/3G networks' option under 'Mobile Networks', although this is set to 'GSM and 3G', not 'GSM only'. I am assuming that the newer customization on this V800 is the reason it works perfectly.

I could send my phone back, but then I will no doubt receive a unit which is set back to factory defaults and I will have lost all of my messages, contacts etc. I am trying to avoid this, it's the sole reason I have put up with this problem for over a month now.

I wonder if SE will eventually change the update service to include this newer customization....

Does anyone know if SETool be used to copy the customization from one phone to another without losing my messages & contacts?

[ This Message was edited by: Detellis on 2005-03-27 20:29 ]
Tahir Ally
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-28 21:14
In South Africa we only have the Motorola E1000 VODAFONE BRANDED.It has problems like whats being mention on this forum with the V800.This could be a VODAFONE BRANDED FAULT

This message was posted from a P900

Gunslinger
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-29 14:58
In the ongoing saga of my faulty V800 Vodafone techs now say that there is no problem with the 3G net. So I am now stuck between SE customer service that say that there is nothing wrong with the handset and Voda that say that nothing is wrong with the net.

Wonder if unbranding the phone would fix it...
gbrooks3
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-29 15:21
It fixed my No Network problems.......

Because the platform sends bogus messages while charging, that is why!!!..But why this change of heart?..We sense a charger connected, oops, we will not shut down after all!!!..*********************** UI BASIC, HOLD YOUR HORSES
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi