Esato

Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > Ebay (scam or not) pls. help

Previous  123  Next
Author Ebay (scam or not) pls. help
Bammers
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-05 20:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The scam is known as something like the Nigeria 510 scam or something. Its named after the piece of legislation that is supposed to prevent it in Nigeria. Trouble is they dont enforce it. The Met police have a specific squad who deal with the scam, its that common!
You will probably find that with the large number of Nigerians arriving in Britain the stuff will be emailed or sent from the UK, its just an extension of the usual scams. It will have originated in Nigeria.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-02-05 20:57
close, its the 419 scam

Nigeria - The 419 Coalition Website
Bammers
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-05 20:59
LOL been a while since I did investigations at Trading Standards!! Knew it was something like that, thanks!
Alec
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-12 13:52
I just got that PM from NIgeria, asking for my sharp gx10.

:s
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-12 19:08
@alec - was that pm from a new member, or someone whose got quite a few posts or a newbie/someone with very few posts? If it's the latter, it could be a scam, make sure you have cleared funds in your account before sending the phone.

btw, if you want a laugh and to see people getting their own back on these 419 scammers, take a look at 419 Eater. There are some people who have even managed to get money OFF these scammers!
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Bammers
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-13 19:48
That looks like a great laugh! About time we started getting our own back on the "scammers". It just amazes me that people fall for it after all the advertising etc. Although I suppose we all like to think we can get "something for nothing" or that things "can be too good to be true"!!
Think the moral may be, trust no one, especially fantastic deals from Nigeria!!LOL!
Burgaz
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-16 08:51
Another one to add to the list!!
This guy even included a phone number??? Not that i'm about to ring him/her! Email and Phone no edited out at masseur's request!

hello,
i'm interested in your phone that you have for sale on
esato.
but i 'm in bolton england so i will like you to ship
the
phone to nigeria,but i will pay you through western
union ,have sent money many times which resulted to my
not getting the item i
purchased,you can ring me on +4470*******1 or mail me
at
*******@yahoo.com
thanks
mate

I Fantasy Worlds and Disney Girls.
Currently using: iPhone
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-02-16 08:58
actually, looking again at the full text of your PM to me, its the same guy that caused this thread (didn't notice first time through)

Nigerian Scammer in my PM

and

Scammers

he's no longer a member here but unfortunately that doesn't stop him getting your email address if you have it displayed in your profile
Burgaz
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-16 09:08
And there is nothing we can do???
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-02-16 09:10
only to do as I do and don't display your email address in your profile
Burgaz
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-16 09:18
I didn't really mean it in that way... I just meant is there no way we can report them to the authorites or something?
I like having my email addy in my profile because it makes me feel "special" when i receive a mail from a fellow esatodian
Bammers
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 00:22
The metropolitan Police have a unit that deals with scams from Nigeria, but not sure if they would be interested in this one. Give them a call!
khaltire
T610
PM
Posted: 2005-04-12 05:07
I have a question about this:

"
hello, my name is janet i was born and brought up in uk, i saw your advert on ebay and i will like to purchase it my husband that has been posted to africa Nigeria for work i will like you to make sure that this item of yours is in very good condition before sending, so i will like you to get last amount you are selling with the cost of shippment so i will know the total amount i will ready for buying item from you.however i will like you to treat this transaction quick before his upcoming birthday.i will prefer this item send to him by country ROYALMAIL OR UPS or any other means you know it will ensure the save of the item, and my mode of payment willbe PAYPAL(payment) or WESTERN UNION BIDPAY(payment) i will appriciate if you treat this for me for him with your response with your name for quick payment. thanks i await your response."

I got this email saying they could pay by Paypal... that's odd usually its money order or Bidpay or something... It may be legit. I offered them 250 US including shipping for a GX30, to an account that ISNT mine (friends). So if I get an email at my email address saying I have funds, then I know its a scam. But if they do send it (I've heard they use stolen credit cards), Ill just keep the money and not send the phone. The person who got their card stolen can obviously get their money back.. And if they can't, it doesn't matter whether I keep it or not. It's either me or the scammer. LOL

Do you think it's possible?
Bammers
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-14 19:01
Two things,
Its from Nigeria, therefore a guaranteed scam
Two, you will probably in breach of some legislation. Keeping money that isnt yours will almost certainly result in a chat with the police if it comes to light!
One other thing to mention, the Proceeds of crime act is being used more and more. If you get a visit from the police and they have cause to look into your finances or if you have cash about your person and you cant legitimately account for it then they can seize it and any property you cant account for!
donkasss
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-08-11 23:39
omg! the same thing is happening to me. I am about to sell my laptop and I put for auction for $750 and there are many people offering alot of money, more than double of the amount. they are all from west africa or nigeria. Everyone I talk to tell me not to accept the payment and they all tell me they are all scams. Well, I guess both of us should not accept the payment from those people.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi