Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > New! Charge Pxxx from Syncstation via USB connection! No need for external power source!

Author New! Charge Pxxx from Syncstation via USB connection! No need for external power source!
djkizlive
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-24 19:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Yes, you read right! It is possible to charge your Pxxx phone in the SyncStation using only the USB Cable!

You no longer need your charger plugged in to be able to charge your phone.

I have successfully modified a syncstation so that it charges from a USB port, so that you only have one cable leading to it, and it makes it much more portable.

Don't buy a USB charger for your phone, get this done instead!

I will be offering the syncstation mod as a service to Esato members, for just £7.50 including parts, labour, and first class recorded return delivery. It should take no more than 1/2 days to complete.

If you're interested, simply PM me, and i will provide you with all the details you need.

Important Information:

If you have this modification performed to your syncstation, DO NOT plug in the charger and the USB cable at the same time! This will almost certainly blow the syncstation and/or your phone, not to mention cause irrepairable damage to your PC's USB controller. I will not be held responsible for damages caused by ignoring this instruction. You can either charge from USB, OR charge from the adaptor (without the USB cable plugged in).

Please make sure you have powered USB ports before you send your syncstation for modification.

I may consider implementing a switch so you can choose between USB charging or AC charging, depending if there is any demand for it or not.

If you would like to see this feature implemented, then be sure to let me know!

Please view the images of my working model:

Look! No Wires!

Thanks for reading!
I offer a P800/900/910 Repair Service for next to nothing. No job too big. PM for Details!

[ This Message was edited by: djkizlive on 2005-01-24 18:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: djkizlive on 2005-01-24 19:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: djkizlive on 2005-01-24 19:16 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-24 19:58
my memory is getting a good old workout tonight with a few threads

mince-inside did this about 5 months ago

My cradle / deskstand - It's Alive!
djkizlive
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-24 20:07
Not taking any credit for this, i read about it on Esato originally, just thought i'd offer the service to those who may not feel comfortable with soldering.

Thanks for the link Masseur

-djkizlive

I offer a P800/900/910 Repair Service for next to nothing. No job too big. PM for Details!

[ This Message was edited by: djkizlive on 2005-01-24 19:07 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-24 20:08
thats great! just a shame SE (and others) don't offer this as standard
djkizlive
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-24 20:23
I will consider performing this modification to other types of syncstations too. Please check your charger first and check that it has an output of 4.5/5V. If that's the case then it will be possible to charge your phone from USB (providing your syncstation has a recharge circuit).

If there's any other types of modifications you'd like me to try, PM me, i'd be more than happy to do it!

Thanks,

-djkizlive
-I offer a P800/900/910 Repair Service for next to nothing-
-No job too big or small. PM for Details!-
below24
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-24 20:40
Also should the computer be equiped with USB 2? As i thought that is is the type that can be used as a charger, e.g. ipod charging?
djkizlive
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-24 20:53
This will work with any USB port that provides a 5V output. USB2 refers to a new standard of USB enabling a much higher data throughput, but the voltages remain the same as far as i know.

You can test your USB ports with a USB light or something similar, and if it seems as bright as it should be then it's safe to say that your USB port will be suitable to charge the phone with.

Another thing worth checking is your power supply. I have a PC rammed full of stuff, there's 11 devices in the front of my machine alone, and i have a 350W power supply, and it seems to work fine.

Hope this helps,

-djkizlive
-I offer a P800/900/910 Repair Service for next to nothing-
-No job too big or small. PM for Details!-
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi