Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Signal Bars

Previous  1234  Next
Author Signal Bars
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 11:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
is there any info, which operator offer the "best" reception and "sound quality" in average all around the world?
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 11:45
That would be difficult to say. I have heard that CDMA is better than GSM in voice clarity. Am i right? I read that in some magazine.

This message was posted from a T230

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 12:30
does coverage to do anything with the mhz aswell?

/// Ericsson Forum
HyperiaBlue
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 19:36
@ BobaFett:

The frequency @ which your network operates also determines the positioning/quantity of base stations to obtain the coverage objective. A basic explaination will help you understand why:

The 900MHz frequency has a longer wave length, less susceptible to absorption (especially in the stratosphere with its bggest enemy being moisture aka rain), this enables it to be propogated over longer distances thus a 900MHz base station has a larger coverage area. This also implies that few base stations are required.
The coverage radius of a 900Mhz base station is approximately 15-30km, depending on what power level (in decibels - dB) is being transmitted. Tis frequency is primarily used in rural areas.

The 1800MHz frequency has a shorter wave length, thus more susceptible to absorption. This frequency is propogated over a shorter distance and thus many 1800MHz base stations provide coverage equivalent to a single 900MHz base station.
The coverage radius for 1800MHz is approximately 15km and is used primarily in dense urban areas like city centres.

Similarly, the 1900MHz frequency can be explained.

Any other questions class?

[ This Message was edited by: HyperiaBlue on 2005-01-21 18:38 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 20:04
what about sat fones? what could "disturb" the reception at those fones? ( great comment again. good to have u here )

/// Ericsson Forum
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 20:08
@boba: For some reasons, most satellite phones require outdoor use. Seems like building structures can be a source of interference. HyperiaBlue, a little light please.

This message was posted from a P800

Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 20:08
@bobbafet: Dude, i believe satellite phone's work on TBT (tight beam transmission) or something. All gibberish to me.
Visit My Blog : Debu's Innovations

'When nine hundred years old you will be, look as good, you will not' - Yoda
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 20:09
Thkq @hyperia

This message was posted from a T230

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 20:13
yes, outdoor of course, but i am interested, what could cause problems at those ones...

/// Ericsson Forum
starkisttunalover
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 23:32
all se's bar change nonstop, its natural
P910i *R5A* Unbranded and Unlocked
K750i *R1N035* Unbranded and Unlocked
W800i *R1L002* Unbranded and Unlocked
govigov
K500
PM
Posted: 2005-01-22 00:14
Cool.

This message was posted from a K500

HyperiaBlue
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-01-22 01:06
@ Boba:

With sat fones, they work with frequencies in the upper Giga Hertz range (eg. 22GHz and higher) so with the same principle as the 1800MHz (which is actually 1.8GHz) the higher frequency is susceptible to moisture absorption as well.
However, add to that the interference from the ionosphere, the stratosphere and the steel in structures around us, the signal received from a satellite is subject to a tremendous amount of intereference.
The biggest enemy of a satellite is the sun, since the radiation from the sun outstrips a satellite.

Note: the power level @ which the satellite transmits is very high, you could fry an egg in its shell in a matter of nano-seconds!

With that in mind, when a sat-fone receives a signal it does some processing before it can be made useful.
By this i mean, all the noise (interference) is extracted using a LNF (Low Noise Filter) and then amplified for use using a LNA (Low Noise Amplifier).
Similar signal processing occurs when the signal is bounced back to the satellite.

Atmospehric conditions have a big effect on high frequencies, together with steel structures (they have their own resonant frequency) thus signal is either degraded or sometimes lost.

If you go into a basement of a building (that has no dedicated antenna installed for GSM reception) you will lose the signal altogether, due the steel structure.
In addition, since sat-fones work on a line of sight principle, no signal will be received in a basement or house without an external antenna connected to the phone via a cable (much like your digital satellite tv).

I hope this answers your questions. Just shout if have more!

E&OE
(If i made any mistakes, please forgive me!)
Sony Ericsson - the marriage of the consumer electronics Beauty to the telecomms Beast

If you have any se-nse, then you will visit http://www.se-nse.com
HyperiaBlue
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-01-22 01:12
Oh and to answer the question on quality of networks, the link i provided @ the beginning of the thread has coverage maps that indicate the quality of coverage for a network.

And so far from my experience the networks that use Ericsson /// ( i know Boba will like this comment !!) network equipment provide the best quality. However, the network planners also determine how good a network is by erecting base stations @ correct locations.

Phew! All this reminds me of my studies!

[ This Message was edited by: HyperiaBlue on 2005-01-22 00:14 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-22 13:17
@hyperia thx. did u ever gave a try to a sat fone ( maybe an /// r290 ) ?

/// Ericsson Forum
HyperiaBlue
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-01-23 02:24
Unfortunately i have not personally used a sat phone, however i have seen one. It was a bulky beast.

Have you used one Boba?

btw Boba i am an /// fan of note. I refuse to use anything other than ///.
Sony Ericsson - the marriage of the consumer electronics Beauty to the telecomms Beast

If you have any se-nse, then you will visit http://www.se-nse.com
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi