Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Sharp V902 - who owns one?

Previous  12
Author Sharp V902 - who owns one?
Gaston
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-11-27 17:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
True.
In all their ads they use the Sharp 902 (also for MP3, etc), and that's the only 3G/UMTS phone that is still not available....
niji
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 15:00
not sure if people have seen the 902 manual (in english). here is link:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod[....]nt_id=479900&native_or_pdf=pdf

Blaukraut
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-29 07:37
do NOT buy a sharp v902

It looks promising and the camera quality is great (and it supports UMTS and Phone TV, but it has millions of flaws to ruin the fun.

1. It's big
2. Vodafone Branding that CANNOT be removed
3. When you're calling someone, you can't hear them unless you turn on the handsfree mode. Even in a quiet environment.
4. No mp3s as ringtones, except from vodafone for lots of money
5. Camera takes a long time to take a picture, and if anything moves within that time (even only 1 cm) it gets blurry.
6. The microphone isn't even decent, I've called a hotline asking if I can trade the phone for a S700i and 90% of the time he couldn't understand what I was saying.
7. The Menu is slow due to vodafone forced menu.
8. As far as I know you can't install anything that isn't from vodafone (Atleast not games, as far as I know. Prove me wrong.)
9. 111 x 51 x 27,5 MM and 149 G, bulky and heavy. Opened up it's nearly 14 centimeters long.
10. It's ring tone isn't loud enough on MOST available ringtones (When a SE p900 rings, you can hear it at the other end of the street)
11. The picture viewer is terrible, takes long to load and can't even view pictures at full screen.
12. The keys aren't sensitive enough (That might be just because I've been using a p900 [touchscreen] before and got used to it. Just my opinion.)
13. The camera and display get easily scratched and dirty. Other than my p900, which I've had for a year and no major problems with the display (no problems at all actually), the camera of the v902 doesn't have a lid or anything to protect it from getting dirty and getting scratched. Albeit it's a 2 megapixel camera, and has pretty big lens. The display also attracts lots of dust, etc.
14. Someone asked about bluetooth problems with pc, I've read that the phone constantly disconnects.

Now for some good points:
1. 2MP Camera
2. UMTS and VIDEO
3. Good mp3 playback quality
4. Decent display

[ This Message was edited by: Blaukraut on 2005-03-29 06:39 ]
vfmobilegr
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-29 09:58
When you change the sim card, everything downloaded from Live are locked. They work only with the original( the one you bought the rings for examples or the java games) sim card.
Cophia
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-04-27 22:16

Oh dear, Blaukraut.

The phone is big, but only by the overhanging lip that includes the camera lens. Otherwise it's the same width, thickness of the GX-30. Considering it has a comprehensive contacts (with address, telephone, email, picture), calandar, to-do, calculator or any other Java app. It even has a bar-code reader! It can pass for most of the functionality that Smartphone users want.

No surprise about the Vodafone branding, they paid BIG money for exclusive rights. It's the "Vodafone 902SH by Sharp" to give it it's proper title, not the Sharp 902. They paid for it, the phone (in each Vodafone country) has had it's firmware optimised for the Vodafone network and Live! menus. Get used to it.

Call quality is fine. Yours must be faulty, if you bought from Vodafone you can get it changed. If you bought from a 3rd party, good luck.

If mp3 ringtones are that important (mp3 decoding takes power, especially if used just for a ringtone) then you need to buy another phone. You can convert WAV files etc. to MIDI using the Yahama WSC-MA2 program that's free on the internet.

Camera is very fast, especially for 2 megapixels. Switch off auto-focus and see. Auto-focus takes a second or so to work, there aren't any other phones currently that does this.

The menu is fast. What are you talking about?

Mp3 music, pictures, wallpapers, videos etc. can be installed via the SD card, Bluetooth or infrared. Java must be downloaded via WAP, but it doesn't have to be from Vodafone. Search the forum to find out how.

10. It's ring tone isn't loud enough on MOST available ringtones (When a SE p900 rings, you can hear it at the other end of the street)
11. The picture viewer is terrible, takes long to load and can't even view pictures at full screen.
12. The keys aren't sensitive enough (That might be just because I've been using a p900 [touchscreen] before and got used to it. Just my opinion.)
13. The camera and display get easily scratched and dirty. Other than my p900, which I've had for a year and no major problems with the display (no problems at all actually), the camera of the v902 doesn't have a lid or anything to protect it from getting dirty and getting scratched. Albeit it's a 2 megapixel camera, and has pretty big lens. The display also attracts lots of dust, etc.
14. Someone asked about bluetooth problems with pc, I've read that the phone constantly disconnects.

MIDI ringtones depend on the setting in the MIDI file. If you have an editor you can change this, it does ring very loud on the stereo speakers built-in.

The picture viewer views about 240x240 pixels at one time, but you can scroll and zoom in fine detail. 240x240 is more than the majority of other phones have available.

Most displays are prone to being scratched if you're not careful. Get a protector. No camera lens cover, yes that's a shame but only a very few of the newer phones have started to cater for this now and it's still not commonplace.

Bluetooth works fine, as well as my Sony Ericsson for OBEX and handsfree.

Overall, the majority of 902SH owners are very happy with their phone as it is smaller than a Smartphone and offers a great camera and 30fps QVGA camcorder.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi