Forum > Regional > Americas > The State of the Union

Author The State of the Union
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-23 03:12
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@richy240

I don't think Blackberrys have caught on here in quite the same way as they seem to have done in the U.S.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
lenn24
T230
PM
Posted: 2004-10-23 17:16
They took the quantity of messages from me
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-30 05:12
Sarah Michelle Gellar was being interviewed on British television last night and she was relating an anecdote about Japan; she mentioned how the Japanese had 'new fangled' mobiles with cameras that were able to send pictures.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-03 12:58
Can the U.S. market be considered more advanced if the networks start selling more advanced handsets e.g. S710? Or is it a case of better handsets and more advanced features and services from the networks themselves?
lenn24
T230
PM
Posted: 2004-11-03 16:37

[addsig]
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-03 16:57
Sara m gellar is just another case of women and technology ... two worlds collide.

This message was posted from a WAP device

lenn24
T230
PM
Posted: 2004-11-03 17:53
I' like you me, sara m gellar [addsig]
sybercouch88
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-11-04 08:53
Ugly handsets, useless features, small minded wireless carriers. The state of mobile phones is the US is sadly out dated. However calling plans are superior.
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-04 16:58
Yeah, the plans kick ass. We get a lot of minutes in return for shitty handsets and network features.

But that is what people want here. They want to talk. That's about it.
For sale: Near-mint M600i (white), PM me if interested
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-04 17:24
Apparently "It's good to talk," according to BT.
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-11-04 19:39
I feel that the discussion about US cell phone technology is getting old. Yes, phones make it to the market faster in Asia and Europe. BUT, having services in both Sweden and the US, I feel that the US customer service and calling plans are far way better than in Sweden. What do I do.....I buy the phones in Sweden and use them in the US. Simple as that!

richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-04 20:37
Quote:

On 2004-11-04 19:39:56, amagab wrote:
I feel that the discussion about US cell phone technology is getting old. Yes, phones make it to the market faster in Asia and Europe. BUT, having services in both Sweden and the US, I feel that the US customer service and calling plans are far way better than in Sweden. What do I do.....I buy the phones in Sweden and use them in the US. Simple as that!

If you think this discussion is getting old, DON'T PARTICIPATE IN THE DISCUSSION!
For sale: Near-mint M600i (white), PM me if interested
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-04 20:57
@amagab

I think it is rather interesting to find out what the state of mobile technology is in other areas of the world. Most of the members of Esato seem to be European, so it is interesting to find out what Americans are using in terms of mobile technology and services. I have learned quite a lot through this thread so far and hopefully others have too.

@all

The American service plans do seem to be excellent value for money, we have only recently seen better value service plans in the UK with the introduction of 3G as the only 3G network here tries to woo customers away from the other networks. Apparently Vodafone are set to release better service plans when their 3G service is launched within the next week or so. Orange have apparently said that they won't be offering service plans like those of 3 (the exisitng 3G network).

How would Americans feel if European/Asian networks bought over American networks? Would it be a good idea if it was going to bring new technology and services?
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-11-04 21:16
Sorry, I was mizundastood. We SHOULD continue discussing world technology and its differences.

I've heard a lot of people bashing the US that they are behind in cell phone tech. They seem to base this on the fact that SE, Nokia, and Siemens phones are first released in Europe and that it takes some time before they are offered in the US market. I agree that that is often the case. However, there are other factors involved than just getting the phone to the market fast.

By the way, you mentioned Asian and European companies taking over US providers. That has already happened. T-Mobile purchased Voicestream and it's now called T-Mobile USA. NTTDoCoMo has a big stake in AT&T (or at least they used to). Vodafone also have big stakes in US providers. I think the only companies that are not partly owned by non-American corp is Nextel and Sprint.

There are different needs in the US regarding technology. The same goes with Wi-Fi, which is much more developed and in demand overe here. There are many cities that have full Wi-Fi coverage and offer it for FREE to everyone in order to save on fiber optics expenses. Therefore, we see more PDAs and smartphones equipped with Wi-Fi chips over here.

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-04 21:25
@amagab

Indeed, the demand for Wi-Fi does seem a lot higher in the U.S., having said that, Wi-Fi is also incredibley popular throughout Europe. Many European towns and cities now have widespread Wi-Fi coverage and almost all new laptops are sold with in-built Wi-Fi cards.

The one thing holding Wi-Fi back in Europe is 3G. Vodafone and other major European networks are now releasing, or already have released, their consumer 3G networks. The possibility of having a broadband connection using one's mobile phone is very appealling indeed and 3G data cards have been selling very well apparently.

I imagine that Europe will probably follow its usualy pragmatic approach and embrace both 3G and Wi-Fi together. It might be surprising to some to see Wi-Fi so popular and developed across Eastern Europe, but there are massive infrastructure problems there with regards to telephone networks, so Wi-Fi would seem a logical solution. The current thinking in much of Europe is for combined 3G/Wi-Fi access; one's mobile would utilise Wi-Fi when in a hot-spot and 3G when not.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic