Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > The State of the Union

Author The State of the Union
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-11 21:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I imagine (and I have no proof to back this up) about 60 - 70% of American users (or more) are post-paid customers (NOT pay as you go). If anyone knows the real figures, please post them.

Caller-pays is not standard practice here. If there are long-distance charges involved the caller pays those, but otherwise minutes are minutes. It doesn't matter who is calling who, you are spending precious minutes every time you are on the phone.

But the post-paid plans are so affordable, you can get a shit load of minutes pretty easily. I pay 40.00 USD for 1,000 "anytime" minutes, unlimited nights (9pm - 6:59am) and weekends, and no long distance or roaming. Plus 5.00 for unlimited data and 7.00 for unlimited mobile-to-mobile (m2m; inside the T-Mobile network - most people I call are in this category, so it is worth it for me to pay for this feature). And because I have the m2m minutes, I rarely ever come close to my 1,000 minutes.
For sale: Near-mint M600i (white), PM me if interested
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-12 15:22
It appears that SMS services are becoming more wisespread... I came across this site this morning: http://sms.google.com

We can now use this service to find restaurants, phone numbers and other information via SMS.

Also, I was watching television last night and realized that I was wrong about SMS services such as contests and other television based SMS programs being locked to a provider. I was under that impression because they use these contests as a way to advertise a specific provider... The commercials say something to the effect of 'Send a text message to 12345 from your Cigular or other mobile handset'. I never notices they said "or other". My mistake.

But it appears SMS is catching on more and more. I wish we could pay for things with our mobiles, but that is far off as I see it.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-13 22:56
I think the current figures are just over two billion texts a month in the UK; texting has really caught on here.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-19 23:06
That's a lot of text messages. I don't think we're anywhere near that here.
moodswinger
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-10-20 00:03
Not only you have to pay for the incoming calls, but you also have to pay for the incoming SMS. I guess that was another reason hindering the acceptance of texting here in the US.
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-20 01:27
at scotsboyuk: I sms, but not that much really. Maybe 20 sms a month.
at ricky: Do you sms much?
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
RichLok
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2004-10-20 01:43
My last bill showed 720 SMS... I have a package of 1500 SMS / 250 MMS and unlimited GPRS for $20
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-20 03:05
@moodswinger

I didn't realise one had to pay to receive a text in the States!

@Residentevil

I would consider myself an average texter, I don't think I text an awful lot, perhaps one hundred a month or so.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
plasmadog
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-10-20 05:43
its pretty strange that mobile operators charge for incoming sms as well!!

we had to pay for incoming calls here until the TRAI (regulator) put a stop to it once people started complaining of really high incoming call charges. maybe the FCC isn't paying enough attention to the needs of the users.outgoing sms are charged about 1 cent here. mms is free for a flat rate of about $2.50 a month.

well, charging for incoming sms only helps the mobile operators! are there consumer rights groups lobbying the government about it? maybe its because the telecom lobby is really powerful in the states?
again, i think the mobile operators are adopting a short term approach to things i.e they'd rather make less money charging users for incoming calls/sms rather than making them free and much more people will start using them in the future. i wonder what the official explanationg given by at&t/cingular/t-mobile about this issue.

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-20 15:01
How much does it cost to receive a text in the U.S.?
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-20 15:01
The FCC is a f*cking joke.

They're more concerned with keeping kids safe from bad language and nude women than something that would actually benefit Americans.

[ This Message was edited by: richy240 on 2004-10-20 14:03 ]
nkivett
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-10-21 08:09
You have to pay extra to have unlimited text messages on a plan. Otherewise you usually have like 20 free, then its like 5 cents per message sent and received.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-21 16:04
@nkivett

That's quite cheap to send a text.
plasmadog
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-10-21 16:23
[quote]
On 2004-10-20 15:01:37, richy240 wrote:
The FCC is a f*cking joke.

They're more concerned with keeping kids safe from bad language and nude women than something that would actually benefit Americans.

yeah i remember the time when there was a lot of furore in the white house about profanity and bad language in the media... and the next day dick cheney goes on national tv and utters the f word by mistake!!! strange country!

coming back to the point... do a lot of the high flying/business class people use high end phones like the p910/ipaq or do they use a combination of a laptop/simple mobile phone to keep connected while travelling?
and... wasn't the voting on american idol done using text messages on at&t?? (that's what i observed on tv here).
tia.
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-22 22:22
Most of the high-end phone/pda combinations are either Pocket PC or Palm based. Symbian, although the most popular smartphone OS, doesn't have such a huge market share here. Or so it seems.

The company I work for uses Blackberrys, except for the VP who uses a Palm Tungsten from AT&T. I had to configure a VPN client for it so he could get to his email securely, and it ended up working rather well. Aside from the multiple taps required to log on and check email, it is just as good as a Blackberry as far as I am concerned. But it doesn't support push email like the Blackberry.

I would rather have a smartphone than a Blackberry any day though.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic