Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > K700 has made me go back to Nokia

Author K700 has made me go back to Nokia
TheRealSpawn
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 23:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I dont see the logic in that comparison

So it cost 3 medium salaries - whats that got to do with it ?
the S700 would cost 5-6 medium salaries so naturally it would be better in some areas like the camera.

And allthough I find it completely insane that a phone of any kind should cost 3 medium salaries - this has properly more to do with low salaries than it has to do with the cost of the phone in general.
I see no logic in saying that because I get a low salary then a midrange phone should have the best of everything - how expensive it may be in your country its still "only" a midrange model in the SE lineup and thus cant have the best of everything.

In my country its only 10% of my monthly salary - should I then expect something different from the phone than you ?`
Its still the exact same midrange phone.

I fully understand and sympathize with the fact that if you have to spend 3 months salary on a phone - you want it to be as good as possible - but no matter how much it cost compared to the medium salary in your specific country - its still only a midrange phone and should only be compared to phones in the same category/pricerange regardless of manufacturer - comparing it to phones that cost much more isnt very logical - neither is comparing it to medium salarys because this differs all over the world and hasnt really anything to do with the phones features.

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 23:51
Indeed, its hard to compare fones according the price. The economy is diff between countries. To own a p9 or k7 is for some of us like to own a car, some of us are ready to save for a handset month long and when they buy it the faulties are recognized. I do understand if some are disapponted, but u have to know what u buy. Give a try first and decide if its really what u need or like.

This message was posted from a T630

mike_k7
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2004-09-22 00:03
How can you 'give it a try' ?!?!
20 minutes in a phone shop you think it's enough to find out that your battery lasts less than a day? That it freezes when you listen to mp3 after you played a game,that the back of your phone will start making anoyng noise when you type something after a week or so,that the 'quick share' sticker will fall off,etc..
You can't 'give it a try' BEFORE!
First you spend the money and then you'll find out that you're not at all satisfied,but it's too late : if you try to sell it,even if it is 1-2 weeks old, you'll loose at least 1/4 of its price!

[ This Message was edited by: mike_k7 on 2004-09-21 23:06 ]
mike_k7
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2004-09-22 00:56
But,even I'm a little upset,if you look a few posts back,you'll see why k700 did not put me off SE, AND WILL NEVER DO!

This message was posted from a K700i

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-22 01:02
I get your point, but all i can say is based on my experiences. And a look at the batt mah is enough to figure out the performance of it according the many features in it.

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-22 01:05
I see that this thread has changed track somewhat and is now concerning itself with economics. The sad fact of the matter is that the majority of the population of Eastern Europe is not as affluent as their counterparts in Western Europe, mobile phones are complicated pieces of technology and are therefore not cheap. I can fully understand why someone from Romania, who perhaps earns a fraction of the salary of someone from the UK, would be angry if he spent a relatively large amount of money on a mobile phone, which turned out to have some bugs and was perhaps not quite what he was expecting. However, as has been stated, this does not necessarily make that particular mobile a bad product.

One should always find out about any major purchase, I am somewhat surprised that someone who is prepared to spend three months wages on something would, apparently, not bother to research it first. It is perfectly true that one cannot make an accurate judgement of a mobile based upon a twenty minute test in the shop, but one can look up reviews and user experiences; one can investigate the mobile's specifications and one can look at alternative options and compare them.

The most ludicrous point I have read so far in this thread has to be the one about the K700 not being a Symbian device; I have to agree with the Danish chap in saying that this is simply purile. One should know that the K700 isn't a Symbian phone before one buys one; one should also realise that most mobiles do not use Symbian and if one wants a Symbian mobile then one should jolly well buy one, not moan that the phone one ha sbought doesn't have it.

I don't think the problem will get any easier in poorer nations with regards to mobile phones; as new features are added the price of mobiles will increase; the best thing to do will be to research one's choice first.

@boba

You do seem to have the notion that SE is a division of Sony; Ericsson and Sony work in partnership, they are both equally responsible for the successes and failures of SE products.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-22 01:30
@scotty in western eu ppl have to work hard aswell to buy a fone, money is everywhere money, maybe the conditions and the services are better in west eu. Here u can have a k7 for free with a contract, but mhn rates, sms, gprs are expensive. I pay the same money for an sms as in denmark and that isnt a cheap country.

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-22 01:38
@boba

Wealth is a relative term, but on the whole the population of Western Europe is better off than the population of Eastern Europe, that doesn't necessarily mean that things are cheaper in Western Europe.

Some people do have to work hard to afford a mobile phone, but whether one lives in Romania or the UK, what I said in my last post still applies.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-22 02:10
@scotty and i sad that u have to work hard for a fone aswell. I compared prices of operators and we have the same or more expensive then in many eu countries but in average we earn the 1/4 of it.

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-22 02:22
@boba

What is your point exactly?
chinhui
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-22 02:30
Well, my K7 took a week of my salary . Regardless of how much it is, I would think that everyone would have wish that everything they bought is worth the money. Hence, if it does not live up to expectations then I guess people will be complaining. But I think one poster said that you would have known some of the bugs by testing it before buying it.... which is wise or perhaps even wait abit till some early users have posted their views and then put those into consideration. Weigh those considerations before you buy it.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-09-22 03:45
this is what happen when marketing/fans hyped-up a phone to such a level that it is not.

of course, u would be p*** off if u original think u r buying something with Japanese quality standard and dependability. instead u got one with quality and dependability similar to one made by some backyard sweatshop.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-22 03:57
@mib1800

One should know what one is buying first, simple as that. I have been pleased with my K700 because I researched it first and found out what it was like. I have done the same with the P910 and know that I will be disappointed if I buy one as it doesn't represent a good value alternative to my P900.
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-22 08:06
the fact that people make more or less money has indeed little to do with the quality of the product they're buying.

Personally speaking I would never spend 3 times my salary on a phone because there are far more important things to pay for in my life.

IF i were to spend 3 times my salary on anything..... i would indeed make sure I knew everything there possibly could be known prior to purchase

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-22 09:36
@scotty we spoke of fone prices and service prices. I sad we dont pay much less for a fone and the services then in othor contries, even we earn less.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic