Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > K700 has made me go back to Nokia

Author K700 has made me go back to Nokia
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 10:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@scotty whats your opinion of coop several divisions in se to improve for example cam problems?

This message was posted from a T630

Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 11:10
well.... like any other independent company... like , say, Nokia will have to solve their own problems. The fact that they got a financial injection and name of Sony does NOT mean they must not make it on their own resources.

Needless to say that companies are prefectly able to buy technology off eachother.. but I keep wondering why you, boba, seem to think that sony and Sony alone has some sort of responsibility to keep the company in business.

Surely even you can see that that is not the way of the world?

I'm sure Sony would be happy to design and develop the best cam on earth for phones........ for the right price.

Just like ericsson was perfectly happy to develop bluetooth for mobiles.... for a fee no doubt
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 12:32
It was a question, i donnow whats behind the scenes. It would be easier if divisions would support each other, probably the biz dictate other ways to manage it.

Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 13:06
no... you need to stop thinking of as a division of sony

that is where you're wrong.
Valentiner
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 13:16
Quote:

On 2004-09-21 00:43:00, TheRealSpawn wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-09-20 23:14:25, Valentiner wrote:
[...]

Sorry Valentiner - dont take it personal, but I would like to comment on your cons because some of them are imho either unfair or illogical.

1: 3 days battery life with normal use from a phone with this many features cannot be called extremely bad - this is on par with phones in the same class from other manufactures.

2: No other phone in its class gives 41mb internal memory - this is an outstanding feature of the K700 and gives you unlimited videorecording within the 41mb and smooth playback of videoclips unlike competing phones with expandable memory and limited recordingtime and unsmooth playback because of limited internal memory and memorycards or memory I/O's not being fast enough to keep up.
True - no expandable memory - a designquestion we were fully aware of when we bought the phone. Unlike for instans the E398, the K700 was not marketed as a replacement mp3 player - this was marketet as a phone with mp3 playback functionality. For great ringtones or for a few musicfiles. I see no problem in SE desiding to release a phone without expandable memory. If we dont like it - we dont have to buy it.

3: SE have released online firmwareupdate for the K700 and I have a SE servicecenter 5 minuttes from my door that has allways upgraded my firmware for free within 15min for as many times as I wished in every SE phone I have ever had and has allways given outstanding service. How can you call that lack of customer support ?

4: Theres only been 1 official update of firmware yet - hardly enough to base any statistical assumptions like that. Besides no other recently released phone from any other brand has released non buggy firmware - this is not an SE thing - but just the way things are today on high tech devices being launched quickly. And lets not forget the fact that most reported bugs are caused by operatorbrandings - not by SE

5: I dont know how you treat your phone - mine still looks, feel and sounds brandnew - and I got one of the first ones released.

6: Agreed - there are still some bugs with BT and some BT setups

7: Agreed - annoying, but again keep it in a suitable case instead of in your pocket and you are not likely to suffer dustproblems.

8: Nonsense - it does not have a sucky camera compared to other mobiles with VGA cams - which is also the max resolution on 99% of other GSM mobiles today - its just as good or better as most in good lightingconditions, allthough poor in bad lightingconditions. Just because theres recently been released 2 megapixelcameraphones doesnt make this a sucky camera. And SE never said it had anything but a VGA cam.

9: Eh no - should it ? 99% of all mobiles dont have symbian - so what are you saying ? SE never said it was symbian - if you wanted symbian you should have gotten a symbianphone like P900.

10: yes like with almost all other phones except smartphones - there are a separat memorypool for contacts, and a separate memorypool for sms storage. You will find the same limitions - some bigger some smaller in phones from other brands. It has litle to do with total memory.

11: Considering the amount of money most people (including myself) has to pay for GPRS traffic - I would be ruined in a couple of days if the client refreshed every 10th second. Apart from that I dont know anything about it (never use it myself) and thus dont know if this is an issue caused by the phone or whatever - but I accept this may be an issue for others.

12: No it actually didnt happen - it was a sarcastic joke made by the poster and aimed at people that blame the K700 for all kinds of irrelevant stuff - maybe you missed that point.

PS: I might just add - that if we look at overall features - no other phone in its class delivers an equal amount of overall features in a nice small package at a midrange price. All other phones in the same class lack some of the features found in K700 (allthough some does have something else).

K700 is just a good litle midrange phone with alot of features at a reasonable price - its not the perfect phone or the ultimate phone, such does not exist - imho, with your demands, youre looking for a completely different type of phone in a completely different pricerange.

You MUST BE joking right?

OK, let me reply to this

1 - 3 days? how in the hell can you get 3 days with k700i. I can't do that even if I don't make a single call and don't do anything with it ... let's be serious, we'll make a poll and I'll bet'ya that 90% of the k700i users charge it at LEAST once daily! this obviously sux compaired with E398

2 - Yeah, like you take tons of videos with K700i. They have a really bad quality dude, no point in making them whatsoever. Anyway, you cannot truly belive that the fact that K700i hasn't got a card slot IS NOT a con? ... maybe it's a pro -- people listen less to music on the phone, and are paying more attention in class, etc ... righhhhttt

3 - I don't know where you live dude, but that's the point. In my country, Romania, which is going to be very soon part of EU, which also has the most increasing and profitable mobile market in the eastern europe (Orange makes more profits in Romania than in UK!!! - this is NOT a joke) SE doesn't even have an official center.

I mailed people at SE asking for places where I could flash my phone. There are only 4 such places in Bucharest (which is a city with 2,4 millions of inhabitants ~ similar with say San Diego in size) and supplied 4 phone numbers. I called those numbers and: 1 of them was a car service, 1 was a financial department of a mobile operator!, 1 was an unallocated number, and the last was a relatively good number, it was the fax number of a dealer SE.

However they couldn't upgrade my phone.

And I am not alone in this mess ... compaired with Nokia or Samsung customer support SE is like shit compaired with honey.

4 - Not true. R2E was also released before R2L. If others make buggy firmware, this does not excuse k700i !

5 - Belive me it's not my first mobile, but it's my most expensive mobile. It's cost in Romania is 3 times the average salary per month! (just to have a comparation basis with UK, that would mean like what ... 4-5,000 pounds?!) so I do not want to be "rude" to it. I take great care of my mobile. However I am not the only one who's quickshare thingy fell off ... you are just one lucky guy for still having that in place ...

6 - I'm glad we agree.

7 - I had lots of phones before which I kept in my pocket. None of them got as dusty inside as k700i has. Also i'd like to add that it's very hard, if not impossible, to take the dust off the speakers (both front and back side ones).

8 - I really don't care what SE said about the camera. I just stated the fact that it's worse than at least 4 phones 6600, 7610, S700 and Razor (and soon to come more motorolas!)

9 - So, let me get this straight. Not having a symbian is not a con, but a pro ... this logic puzzles me

10 - C'mon is it that hard to make the limit 1000? Again I don't care if 90% of the phones don't have them, it k700i that doesn't have them and that affects me.

11 - Well that's what I said: because of people like you not knowing what that is about and fearing law suits probably SE didn't even want to put the option to set the refresh!! Motorola has it set to 30 seconds. In simple it's like this: I send you a message. On motorola you receive your message (the phone vibrates, beeps, whatever) in at most 30 seconds. On SE it's at most 12 minutes, with an (tested!) average of 10 minutes. So much for INSTANT messenger. Also, in

12 - I was also jokeing in case you haven't read I said "i'm kiddin".

In conclusion all your arguments are futile and just prove a certain lack of knowledge in both k700i phone features and its direct concurrents (E398 for example).
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 13:53
Vlammetje i know they are diff, so it was a theoretical question. Last time i spoke to the east eu manager of sony, he made it clear for me, but he didnt understand aswell, why not sharing tech inside the co.

chinhui
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 14:09
Hmm... I think alot of people have different experiences with battery life. I had a crappy battery life after the first charge out of the box. lasted me 1 day only. Subsequent recharge (4-7 hours depending how much time I have to sleep) does improve my battery life. It gradually grew to 3 days with original firmware R2A041. I did my firmware update online 2 days back to R2L and my battery meter shows half full with normal usage (5-10 minutes talk time and 5-8 sms per day with occasional FM entertainment). I reckon it would last me 2 more days (4 in total) which I think it's quite alright.

It does not have a great camera but given that it's a VGA camera, I don't think I would complain much about it. The voice clarity when using in noisy places isn't fantastic but it's still quite alright. Bluetooth is buggy and anyone who uses it ought to be quite annoyed at the rate that it is dropping out (when using R2A firmware).

Hmm... it was never meant to be symbian based phone so I think it's really unfair to put it into pros or cons. It never advertised as having an expansion memory support so if one decided to get the phone then that's something that should have been put into consideration given the price tag.

My quickshare sticker fell off somewhere and I can't find it back. Had to buy one online. So I think that's just pure bad design. However, I think many of us would still think that K700 is still one of the better looking phones in the market.

SE was kind enough to release online updates for the phone as well. Many of us would have benefited from this service. The original firmware was buggy but at least there is a chance of having the convenience to upgrade your firmware at the comfort of your own home and time. I would think that there would be one or two or more firmware releases in the future to address the existing bugs. No other manufacturer provide this convenience.

Regardless, it is one nice little phone for me and perhaps for alot of others. There would be people who dislike the phone as everyone would have their own taste, perspectives of looking at pros and cons, value of product for money etc etc... Others can disagree at any point that I make but I think it's a great phone to have, at least for myself.
chinhui
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 14:18
Forget to mention, I was a proud nokia user before this phone and I think it's a good switch for once. I still miss the speed that I could sms with nokia phones though. I'm quite satisfied with the usability of K700 and its features. But I wouldn't say that I won't turn back to nokia anymore or even switch to samsung or other manufacturers but perhaps for now I would think it's worth it to stick with SE for a while. What nokia really lacks is someone who can really design phones. Some designs are really shocking in their upcoming releases.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 14:25
Well, a good designer could se need too, k series arent a very succesfull shaped ones. They are more neutral.

chinhui
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 15:30
hehe comparing to nokia's upcoming 7260 7270 7280 i think it's quite fair to say SE did a great job with K700. My opinion only of course
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 15:49
i think there is a rather large group of customers who would prefer a somewhat more traditional classy looking phone over any flashy diagram shaped devices
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 15:59
indeed, nokia has weird shaped fones sometimes, but se still didnt found an 'original' design imho.

djole89
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 17:29
Quote:

On 2004-09-20 11:19:24, I wrote:
Just wait till I get my hands on my computer, to post you 1 picture I took with mx K700 in BW mode. It looks like a pro pic.

Sorry guys, I was at vacation. Here it is:

What do you say now????? Taken with k700....... [addsig]
TheRealSpawn
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 18:55
Quote:

On 2004-09-21 13:16:24, Valentiner wrote:

You MUST BE joking right?

OK, let me reply to this

1 - 3 days? how in the hell can you get 3 days with k700i. I can't do that even if I don't make a single call and don't do anything with it ... let's be serious, we'll make a poll and I'll bet'ya that 90% of the k700i users charge it at LEAST once daily! this obviously sux compaired with E398

2 - Yeah, like you take tons of videos with K700i. They have a really bad quality dude, no point in making them whatsoever. Anyway, you cannot truly belive that the fact that K700i hasn't got a card slot IS NOT a con? ... maybe it's a pro -- people listen less to music on the phone, and are paying more attention in class, etc ... righhhhttt

3 - I don't know where you live dude, but that's the point. In my country, Romania, which is going to be very soon part of EU, which also has the most increasing and profitable mobile market in the eastern europe (Orange makes more profits in Romania than in UK!!! - this is NOT a joke) SE doesn't even have an official center.

I mailed people at SE asking for places where I could flash my phone. There are only 4 such places in Bucharest (which is a city with 2,4 millions of inhabitants ~ similar with say San Diego in size) and supplied 4 phone numbers. I called those numbers and: 1 of them was a car service, 1 was a financial department of a mobile operator!, 1 was an unallocated number, and the last was a relatively good number, it was the fax number of a dealer SE.

However they couldn't upgrade my phone.

And I am not alone in this mess ... compaired with Nokia or Samsung customer support SE is like shit compaired with honey.

4 - Not true. R2E was also released before R2L. If others make buggy firmware, this does not excuse k700i !

5 - Belive me it's not my first mobile, but it's my most expensive mobile. It's cost in Romania is 3 times the average salary per month! (just to have a comparation basis with UK, that would mean like what ... 4-5,000 pounds?!) so I do not want to be "rude" to it. I take great care of my mobile. However I am not the only one who's quickshare thingy fell off ... you are just one lucky guy for still having that in place ...

6 - I'm glad we agree.

7 - I had lots of phones before which I kept in my pocket. None of them got as dusty inside as k700i has. Also i'd like to add that it's very hard, if not impossible, to take the dust off the speakers (both front and back side ones).

8 - I really don't care what SE said about the camera. I just stated the fact that it's worse than at least 4 phones 6600, 7610, S700 and Razor (and soon to come more motorolas!)

9 - So, let me get this straight. Not having a symbian is not a con, but a pro ... this logic puzzles me

10 - C'mon is it that hard to make the limit 1000? Again I don't care if 90% of the phones don't have them, it k700i that doesn't have them and that affects me.

11 - Well that's what I said: because of people like you not knowing what that is about and fearing law suits probably SE didn't even want to put the option to set the refresh!! Motorola has it set to 30 seconds. In simple it's like this: I send you a message. On motorola you receive your message (the phone vibrates, beeps, whatever) in at most 30 seconds. On SE it's at most 12 minutes, with an (tested!) average of 10 minutes. So much for INSTANT messenger. Also, in

12 - I was also jokeing in case you haven't read I said "i'm kiddin".

In conclusion all your arguments are futile and just prove a certain lack of knowledge in both k700i phone features and its direct concurrents (E398 for example).

No im not joking

1. I get all phones for test that interest me - thus I also had the E398 for test. With equal normal mixed use I get 3 days batterytime on my K700 with firmware R2L and only 2 days with the E398. These are real life tests under equal conditions.

2. Dont be silly - naturally I think a memoryslot is pro and would not mind having it also - the point was we knew it didnt have it when we bought the phone - then theres no point in dissing the phone afterwards for not having it.

3. I live in Denmark and we have no problem with getting service from SE in my country - sorry to hear this is not the case in your country.

4. Yeah R2E was released but that one hardly count since it was replaced very soon afterwards by R2L - R2E was buggy - I wont call R2L buggy, most bugs were fixed in this one - but it usually takes more than one firmware to make it perfect.

5-6-7. no further comments

8. I still think youre being unreasonable - comparing the camera of K700 with a phone like S700 that hasnt even been released and are more expensive is nonsense - development dont stop. Just because new phones are coming with better devices doesnt make the existing ones crap. 6600 and Razor definately do not have better cameras - thy both have standard VGA cams which are no better than the K700 camera under normal lighting - I have plenty of pictures to prove that. True, 7610 is better, does finding one phone with a better camera make the K700 crap ?

9. No one said symbian was not pro, but the K700 is not symbian, never pretended to be, so again I can only say if you want a symbian phone then simply buy a symbian phone - just because all phones dont have symbian doesnt make them bad phones, not all customers want or need symbian.

10-11-12. No further comments

Your missing the point in my comments.

Point being you list alot of reasons why the K700 in your opinion is a poor phone and I dont find those reasons valid to categorize the K700 as such. If you buy a toyota you cant very well expect it to be a ferrari, and just because the toyota is not a ferrari doesnt make it a crappy car.

The K700 may not live up to your particular demands - thats a valid argument that I can fully accept - and the answer to that would then be simply buy another phone that does live up to your demands - but that in itself doesnt make the K700 a poor phone.
mike_k7
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 22:35
I think what Valentiner is angry with k700 because when you pay more than 3 medium salaries for a phone(I also live in Romania) you expect more,and many of his arguments are ,unfortunatly,right...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic