Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > K700 has made me go back to Nokia

Author K700 has made me go back to Nokia
Redback
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 02:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ Arty

I know what you mean about the night pics coming out very grainy and I'm surprised noone else has mentioned this but the solution is simple.

The night pics turn out grainy & dotty ONLY when you take the pic in high resolution modes - 1280 x 960, 640 x 480 & 320 x 240...

Try using the 160 x 120 resolution. I mainly use the camera on the k700i at night also & like taking a couple of shots at clubs.

When I use the smallest size and take night pics, with night mode ON, with the little camera light ON, the pics turns out very good & isn't grainy as the large sized pics! They look nearly as good as a day pic! Everything is pretty clear so if you haven't already, try it mate.

The only drawback would be if you want to send the pic to an email address obviously it would come up pretty small but if it's just for saving on your phone & sending as an mms then take night pics in small size with light on, night mode on or off & problem solved!

Redback
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 03:20
...and also about the video clips, when you film clips on k700 yes they do come out a bit blurry. But the trick is, when you're filming, when you move around move veeeery slowly & it will stay in focus. Do you notice that if you film something and stand still it looks great? Once you move it goes blurry but if you do it slow it looks ok.

A few days ago I made about 10 clips at a football stadium watching my fave footy team, the Bulldogs, at a Rugby League match here in Sydney, they turned out pretty good! I could've filmed the whole game if I wanted to, with 41 mb of memory that's easy an hour & a half or so of recording. Too bad not many people have video phones to share it with & the ones that do don't have S.E.!

I use quicktime on the net to view clips and the quality is satisfactory, considering it's meant to be a phone, not a proper video camera.
blackspot
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 04:35
IMHO, the K700 isn't a professional still camera or a professional video camera. I can't even put it in the line of point-and-shoot cameras! They're just xtra features on the phone which just happens to be better than other phone cams and unfortunately also worse than some. So, some will be contented with it and some won't depending on your preferences and your priorities. I think it would be irrelevant to say "I switched to Nokia" because it is only in a vending machine where there's no change.
resistance is futile.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 06:24
Quote:

On 2004-09-21 01:06:56, bobafett wrote:
Fact is, that i ll never create a galleries of se thread. Non of the se is worth for it. Why? We discuss usually mp3, video, cam, batt etc if these features are a must, a kind of standard features in a fone, how comes, that the BIG sony, with that BIG knowledge cannot make a batt according the many features usage, a cam according the new foto-mania-trend and the new way of mob communication etc sony is sooo BIG in fun and media things, where are they???

This message was posted from a T630

At the risk of sounding rude this appears to be little more than a rant. What exactly is your problem with Sony? I'm not quite sure I grasp the reason why you are blaming Sony for not producing better batteries for mobile phones; after all they produce mobile phones along with Ericsson as part of Sony Ericsson, so one would be quite jutified in asking the same question of Ericsson. In fact one would be quite jutified in asking the same quetion of just about any mobile phone manufacturer.
You may not realise it, but technology can't always be advanced over night. Designing and producing new batteries takes time and effort and I would assume that it isn't a simple process either. With the increased number of features in modern mobile phones there is more pressure than ever placed upon the battery, it will probably be a while yet before battery technology catches up.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 07:40
in reply to the original posters comments, yes, i was dissapointed in the K700i when i got it.

it didnt live up to its expectations straight away.
id like to say it's got better since i first got it but in reality i've become accustomed to its faults.

most of my dislike is thanks to my service provider...considering i have no intention of ever using wap gprs with t-mobile i do not appreciate the t-zones branding down your throat approach on this or any other handset and its enought to make me consider changing networks...its that bad.

1 shortcut button was enough and it's clearly marked on the side of the handset..but not enough for t-mobile, they have to change one on the main screen and remove the 'more' feature from the handset....not content with this, they then add a shortcut to every page possible so you can go online and download more advertising t-mobile branding 'cool' stuff.

zero points for the big brother we are all morons approach.

anyway, back to SE, they do things by half....they design a well featured handset then dont execute as best they could or should.

yes, the phone has been marketed as a dual function device so the camera should be better than it currently is...it's better than my last phone the T610, but as a new SE customer i'd be marginally dissapointed with the results when compared to other manufacturers current camera quality...and this is what all handsets should be measured by....how much better is the competitions.

aside from that i appreciate the stepping stone from T610 to K700, they've gone backwards design wise though, the T610 will be viewed as a classic in years to come if not already, it's a design icon, not like the T630, that's easily forgotten...the K700 doesnt lead the pack in the same way, it's trying to be a camera which it clearly isnt...but thats a minor gripe and personal taste one at that.
BBBold on T-Mobile UK
kenski
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 08:20
Ah all of these rants/comments/views about a phone w/ a camera. I just hope hears us so they'd learn from their shortcomings
forever
Read the FAQ before u post a new topic..
8810->6150->3310->t68i->t610->t630->k700i
mike_k7
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 09:20
about the camera on k700:
First of all,the advertisement of k700 is half phone/half camera ,so according to that it should be as good camera as it is a phone! It's not,as we all know,unfortunatly.....
Second: If you take a look at the ads before k700's release you'll see that they all said 1 MP camera(it's not)

about the phone(in general):
It has a great design,feuters,memory(mp3 player is for ringtones not to replace your iPod) and as someone else said before:k700 offers the most in his category.

SE is among the very few companies that offers online fw upgr.(maybe the only one?)

By the way,did you know that you have to pay a lot for Samsung drivers(for connecting via Irda)?

Even if I know that k700 is far from a perfect phone,it gives me a feeling like no other phone does(in fact all SE pnones that I owned t300,t610,z600). This is the big difference between SE and the others:
I feel like a SE phone is a part of me,of who I am.It's my 'baby' and as we all know a father loves his child and considers him the best,the smartest,etc... even he knows that's not true.. It's a feeling that no other company's phones gave me...

So,to answer the topic 'question' : NO , I would never go to to other's company phones,not because Nokia,Samsung etc don't make good phones,but because this ' feeling' that a SE phone gives to me
I think many of you understand what I'm talking about...

Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 09:31
Quote:

On 2004-09-21 01:44:21, bobafett wrote:
@spawn as i see, se could make good fones, but what they launch, isnt for european market, more asian or world trend.

I'm afraid millions of europeans disagree with you boba. Also I'd like to know what you base this comment on.... as in my view the 'european market' is not as different from the 'rest of the world' market as you seem to want it.

Quote:

On 2004-09-21 01:06:56, bobafett wrote:
Fact is, that i ll never create a galleries of se thread. Non of the se is worth for it. Why? We discuss usually mp3, video, cam, batt etc if these features are a must, a kind of standard features in a fone, how comes, that the BIG sony, with that BIG knowledge cannot make a batt according the many features usage, a cam according the new foto-mania-trend and the new way of mob communication etc sony is sooo BIG in fun and media things, where are they???

I'll tell you where: just like Ericsson... which is an existing company, they work on other things. You need to understand that is a separate company with it's own R&D it's own money and it's own line of products. I don't really know why you are so keen on blaming Sony for all that is bad in this world and I honestly don't give a toss either, however you really really really need to realise that is a company itself which makes it's own decision and launches it's own products. It's not up to Sony's camera department (for example) to sort out problems of They do have their own business to run.

Finally i would like to point out that this thread is not yet another place for you to bash Sony for reasons no-one but you seems to know about.

This thread is about an product K700... which indeed does not have the best possible camera on board and is indeed a good phone.......... but it's NOT the case that Ericsson did a good job and Sony a bad job!! there is NO SEPARATE SONY and there is NO SEPARATE ERICSSON in this. They are one. Like it or not.

And because YOU don't see the need for a decent camera on board, does hardly mean that others, who shell out a considerable amount of money for this dvice, may not have very different wishes. Leaving everybody in their value would certainly not be a bad thing.

Now..... back to the K700........ this so called bad battery life... how long does the battery last with heavy use?
mike_k7
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 09:38
@vlammetje

Even with new fw R2L ,with HEAVY use,the battery lasts less than 16 hrs

When I had the z600,even if I wanted I couldn't finish the baterry in less than 30-40 hrs.

[ This Message was edited by: mike_k7 on 2004-09-21 08:41 ]
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 09:39
thanks
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 09:48
I didnt even mentioned ///, so pls dont come with it. What i wrote is my opinion, even sony has got several divisions, why dont they work together?

ARTY
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 09:54
oooh doesnt it get heated??? I bet Sony ericsson love all this dedication.

Anyhoo, there have been some valid points discussed here. Just let me recap. I came from a Nokia 6600 which was a phone that happened to have a camera. The reason I bought it, was cos it had a camera. I was very very impressed.

Then the K700 gets released. Nice design and wow its half camera half phone. Definitely must be better than my old Nokia. And its smaller and has a beautiful design and interface. Sold. Now I have it I know that my 6600 took better pictures which = disappointment. Its easy. Go back to what I had.

Anything wrong with that?
blackspot
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-21 09:58
Arty,

What's wrong with the heated discussion? What did you expect?
resistance is futile.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 10:02
@arty nothing wrong with it, we just deliver here diff points of views, we dig a bit deeper to get an answer, cos the background is important too imo. Its a nice thread.

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 10:43
@boba

You don't have to mention Ericsson! By laying the blame for 'poor' battery performance at Sony's feet you insinuate that Ericsson are somehow exempt from criticism on this subject.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic