Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > K700 has made me go back to Nokia

Author K700 has made me go back to Nokia
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-20 21:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
cameras are about images though and not about sounds?

ARTY if the camera is the main issue you are definitely right in looking for another model. I can confirm the K700 cam gives rather bad results in darker environment for both images and video.
eskay
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-09-20 21:27
I am glad that finally someone noticed the SE does not have the picture perfect phone. All se owners know that NOKIA is way better .

This message was posted from a Nokia

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-20 22:23
@eskay

Thank you for informing us of that; I'm sure many will take it on board.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-20 22:25
Indeed, better cam, but ITS A FONE. How to compare fones cos of the cam quality?

This message was posted from a T630

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-20 22:28
@boba

Some people like the extra features that moern mobile phones come with and genuinely care about their quality.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-20 23:07
@scotty thats clear. For the new generation its maybe more important, but for me its a bit too fast to keep the step. Its still amazing for me that i can make pix with my fone, even used attach cam years ago. Think if they had started with an mca cam, there wont be so many complaining. Most of them had vga or whatever built in cams, so from their point of view, t630 is bad quality, they compare and judge with another eye. I saw when all this began and used the first examples, they didnt. We compare diff way

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-20 23:13
@boba

I understand where you are coming from, but I would argue that it is quite fair to compare one mobile's camera against another in order to judge, which one is best. I think this is actually rather important because standards will only improve if the manufacurers feel that there is a demand for better quality cameras in mobile phones.

I don't buy a mobile phone because of its camera, for me that is a nice bonus feature, but, at the same time, I would also probably not buy a mobile now if it didn't have a camera. People have become used to certain features, which, although not crucial, are looked upon as being very much desirable.
Valentiner
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-20 23:14
I think that this can be resumed to the following pros and cons

CONS

- extremely bad battery life
- non-expandable memory, only 40 MB available
(these two cons make it impossible to stop carrying your mp3 player / ipod with you)
- lack of SE customer support
- lack of non-buggy firmware updates (every update solves some bugs, and creates others)
- lack of fiability (use this phone for a couple of months, and things will start falling off of it, the back cover will become noisy, the keys will not sound right anymore)
- bluetooth is not working correctly with certain computer / headset configurations (it resets many times while downloading mp3s, it de-pairs after a call, etc.)
- dust can get under the glass protective screen, and you cannot get it out (very annoying I tell you)
- sucky camera, compaired with other mobile phones, only 640x480 (real resolution)
- it's not symbian!
- has only 500 contacts dispite the huge memory (and it matters, for example I have more than 500 contacts on Outlook and when I sync my phone some of them get lost)
- the imps client is faaaar away from being instant, with a 12 minutes refresh time
- it kills dogs (just kiddin', but it happened to a guy, read here on esato somewhere)

PROs

- it looks cool, with a nice joystick
- great screen
- many features, including radio
- great menu, menu speed
- good java 2.0 benchmark
- wap, xml browser embedded
- imps client
- email client
- <100g
- fits perfectly your pocket
- comes with headset
- it actually looks like a phone

I think that I would not choose K700i again. Maybe if the first two cons would be solved (battery life doubled and memory stick duo pro enabled) I would by an ulterior version of k700i

[ This Message was edited by: Valentiner on 2004-09-20 22:16 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-20 23:18
The other thing is, that now-a-days a new fone isnt a big boom like years ago. Today its a race with almost the same cars.

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-20 23:21
@Valentiner

Well there are rumours of an 'updated' version of the K700, which has memorystick support; I'm not sure of the name though.
TheRealSpawn
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 00:43
Quote:

On 2004-09-20 23:14:25, Valentiner wrote:
I think that this can be resumed to the following pros and cons

CONS

1 - extremely bad battery life
2 - non-expandable memory, only 40 MB available
(these two cons make it impossible to stop carrying your mp3 player / ipod with you)
3 - lack of SE customer support
4 - lack of non-buggy firmware updates (every update solves some bugs, and creates others)
5 - lack of fiability (use this phone for a couple of months, and things will start falling off of it, the back cover will become noisy, the keys will not sound right anymore)
6 - bluetooth is not working correctly with certain computer / headset configurations (it resets many times while downloading mp3s, it de-pairs after a call, etc.)
7 - dust can get under the glass protective screen, and you cannot get it out (very annoying I tell you)
8 - sucky camera, compaired with other mobile phones, only 640x480 (real resolution)
9 - it's not symbian!
10 - has only 500 contacts dispite the huge memory (and it matters, for example I have more than 500 contacts on Outlook and when I sync my phone some of them get lost)
11 - the imps client is faaaar away from being instant, with a 12 minutes refresh time
12 - it kills dogs (just kiddin', but it happened to a guy, read here on esato somewhere)

Sorry Valentiner - dont take it personal, but I would like to comment on your cons because some of them are imho either unfair or illogical.

1: 3 days battery life with normal use from a phone with this many features cannot be called extremely bad - this is on par with phones in the same class from other manufactures.

2: No other phone in its class gives 41mb internal memory - this is an outstanding feature of the K700 and gives you unlimited videorecording within the 41mb and smooth playback of videoclips unlike competing phones with expandable memory and limited recordingtime and unsmooth playback because of limited internal memory and memorycards or memory I/O's not being fast enough to keep up.
True - no expandable memory - a designquestion we were fully aware of when we bought the phone. Unlike for instans the E398, the K700 was not marketed as a replacement mp3 player - this was marketet as a phone with mp3 playback functionality. For great ringtones or for a few musicfiles. I see no problem in SE desiding to release a phone without expandable memory. If we dont like it - we dont have to buy it.

3: SE have released online firmwareupdate for the K700 and I have a SE servicecenter 5 minuttes from my door that has allways upgraded my firmware for free within 15min for as many times as I wished in every SE phone I have ever had and has allways given outstanding service. How can you call that lack of customer support ?

4: Theres only been 1 official update of firmware yet - hardly enough to base any statistical assumptions like that. Besides no other recently released phone from any other brand has released non buggy firmware - this is not an SE thing - but just the way things are today on high tech devices being launched quickly. And lets not forget the fact that most reported bugs are caused by operatorbrandings - not by SE

5: I dont know how you treat your phone - mine still looks, feel and sounds brandnew - and I got one of the first ones released.

6: Agreed - there are still some bugs with BT and some BT setups

7: Agreed - annoying, but again keep it in a suitable case instead of in your pocket and you are not likely to suffer dustproblems.

8: Nonsense - it does not have a sucky camera compared to other mobiles with VGA cams - which is also the max resolution on 99% of other GSM mobiles today - its just as good or better as most in good lightingconditions, allthough poor in bad lightingconditions. Just because theres recently been released 2 megapixelcameraphones doesnt make this a sucky camera. And SE never said it had anything but a VGA cam.

9: Eh no - should it ? 99% of all mobiles dont have symbian - so what are you saying ? SE never said it was symbian - if you wanted symbian you should have gotten a symbianphone like P900.

10: yes like with almost all other phones except smartphones - there are a separat memorypool for contacts, and a separate memorypool for sms storage. You will find the same limitions - some bigger some smaller in phones from other brands. It has litle to do with total memory.

11: Considering the amount of money most people (including myself) has to pay for GPRS traffic - I would be ruined in a couple of days if the client refreshed every 10th second. Apart from that I dont know anything about it (never use it myself) and thus dont know if this is an issue caused by the phone or whatever - but I accept this may be an issue for others.

12: No it actually didnt happen - it was a sarcastic joke made by the poster and aimed at people that blame the K700 for all kinds of irrelevant stuff - maybe you missed that point.

PS: I might just add - that if we look at overall features - no other phone in its class delivers an equal amount of overall features in a nice small package at a midrange price. All other phones in the same class lack some of the features found in K700 (allthough some does have something else).

K700 is just a good litle midrange phone with alot of features at a reasonable price - its not the perfect phone or the ultimate phone, such does not exist - imho, with your demands, youre looking for a completely different type of phone in a completely different pricerange.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 00:52
@TheRealSpawn

The bottom line is that some people expect too much from a mobile phone, whether it is a high-end phone or a mid-range phone or a low-end phone. I would agree with your analysis that the K700 is an excellent phone for its class and it does genuinely repesent value for money, but that still doesn't detract from the fact that there are some very annoying problems with it, which I believe could have been best addressed by a longer testing period. Mobile manufacturers should perhaps stop trying to rush a product and give it a little more testing; quality counts for a lot in my book.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 01:06
Fact is, that i ll never create a galleries of se thread. Non of the se is worth for it. Why? We discuss usually mp3, video, cam, batt etc if these features are a must, a kind of standard features in a fone, how comes, that the BIG sony, with that BIG knowledge cannot make a batt according the many features usage, a cam according the new foto-mania-trend and the new way of mob communication etc sony is sooo BIG in fun and media things, where are they???

TheRealSpawn
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 01:33
scotsboy and bobba

I cant disagree with either one of you at all

Im all with you that mobile manufacturers should do better testing before release etc. - my point is only that this is not something specifically for SE - this is a general trend, a general problem from all manufactures. But its not only their fault, its also our (the consumers) fault for demanding every feature known to man, and preferably yesterday - patience is not a virtue found in that many consumers today. A month before relase of K700 the forums was flooded with users screaming at SE to release the K700 or they would go for the N6230 - try telling them that they had to wait another month or 2 while the firmware was being perfected. Its allways a balance and you have to find the best time to release before all customer go somewhere else. Or before the next big competitor releases a better model. That is not allways best for the customers - but thats the name of the game these days.

I also dont understand why with todays technology they cant or wont make better batteries - but I do understand why a midrange phone like K700 cannot be equipped with every single top of the line, state of the art piece of equipment available. If it were it would not be a midrange K700. Every manufaturer has to have a lineup of different phones at different prices for different targetgroups - you cant just make one phone sporting best equipment available in every single aspect and sell that at a competitive midrange price.

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-21 01:44
@spawn as i see, se could make good fones, but what they launch, isnt for european market, more asian or world trend.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic