Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > K700 has made me go back to Nokia

Author K700 has made me go back to Nokia
kenski
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-23 08:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ahem guys! just read a post of New Nokia with 64mb internal memory. This one seems the same size as the k700i,(correct me if im wrong) I guess in the end we become labrats for se/nokia/samsung/moto to test on if were gonna bite every "cheese" they throw at us! At least there are lots of options for us to choose from..Just comes down to w/c phone every person prefers to use and appeals to them.. For me my precious k700i is enuff..
forever
Read the FAQ before u post a new topic..
8810->6150->3310->t68i->t610->t630->k700i
mike_k7
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2004-09-23 11:20
About the price of K700 with contract or without:
Here(Romania if forgotten) k700 is 350 euros without contract(you can choose wich GSM operator you want or just a prepayed SIM) and 300 euros with CONNEX(it's one of our 2 big GSM networks)
You can't take it less than 300 euros(new of course).
Even so,I went to their shop and asked to see a k700(a wanted to see what fw it has) and SURPRISE : it was O2 branded (and unlocked
to work on our Connex) but the start screen and the menu were customized to O2 ! Even the one free from contract (350 euros) was customized to O2.
So,the only option left is to take one without warranty from the black market(mine is bought from Dubai),to pay the same amount of money (about 300 euros) but have no warranty,no free upgrades etc
Do you think this is normal ?
I think at least in Western Europe when you buy a phone free from contract it's not customized to a certain network
Valentiner
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-23 12:51
I think that SE should be thinking twice about its customer support in a country like Romania. I am an open minded fellow (proof: I bought k700i in the first place ) but I will certainly not buy in the near future from SE again.

With the incredibile release of the new nokia series 60 phones equiped with mega-pixel camera SE has been blown to bits effectively. The only feature that stands still for now it's the screen quality.

I think that SE will have the same faith in the end as Ericsson did. Look at them, they have already discontinued bluetooth support. And they invented it.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-24 01:29
@Valentiner

To base one's opinion of SE on one single incidence seems both illogical and foolish. When speaking of SE customer support in Romania you perhaps fail to take into account that, with the greatest of respect to Romanians, it isn't SE's most important market. Customer support costs money and SE is not a big company, it is still struggling to find its footing and as such it concentrates on its more important markets e.g. Japan, the U.K., France, Germany, etc As SE expands and develops it will no doubt bolster its support netowrk.

Your point regarding Series 60 smartphones from Nokia is a rather short-sighted view and one, which takes no account of the facts. One simply cannot compare a smartphone with a non-smartphone; it would be like trying to compare a passenger jet with a fighter jet, two very different things. SE isn't exactly standing still and I am quite sure that they will release new handsets, which will have better features than their current models, however, as I said earlier, SE are not a massive company and therefore cannot afford costly mistakes, which Nokia seems to be able to take in its stride. SE are forced to release a relatively small number of handsets, but, on the whole they are of good quality.

I often wonder why some people buy products from a certain brand and then moan about them afterwords. Surely one would actually look at what one is buying and look to see what alternatives are available. In the case of mobile phones there are very often rumours and pictures of models that are yet to be released and, which a savvy consumer might wish to use when considering a purchase. I bought a K700 and I am extremely happy with it despite the fact that other manufacturers have products, which have better features. The reason I am happy with my K700 under these circumstances is because I took the time to look at what I would be getting if I bought a K700, so I in no way feel cheated or short changed.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2004-09-24 16:50 ]
Valentiner
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-24 04:54
Dude, Romania is the country where Orange (you heard abour Orange right?) makes THE MOST PROFFIT. There are over 8 million mobile GSM users, and the numbers are raising. I would not think that this is not a big market for SE, especially when you say that it's a small company. How can they ever expect to do something in UK for example, when they can't even do it in Romania?

I am comparing phones in the same area. Being or not being symbian is not such a huge / major difference, so one can still compaire the phones.

At the moment I bought K700i I was not aware of some of his flaws, because I couldn't have: namely the battery life, the fact that it is extremely fragile and the annoying refresh time in IMPS (which is one of the main reasons I bought k700i). I could not be aware, as I was among the first in my country to have one. Also at that moment I didn't knew when Motorola E398 is coming (because they have announced like 10 phones since January, but nothing out yet) and I had no idea about this Nokia (not even two days ago, when I said that if I were the general manager of Nokia I'd launch a 6600 with IMPS, smaller, ligher and with 1 Mp camera - which they DID :D).

SE would have easily won this war by doing 3 things: better battery power, expansion slot and stable firmware (including that IMPS thing that I am obssessed with ).

PS a nice thing that I love about k700i, and I don't like about that Nokia is the joystick. 6600 used to have a joystick, why not keep it ?
gullybetty
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-09-24 06:57
i love my k700. even if i haven't explored much of it features yet. i guess i need to do more reading here in esato and some help from friends. but i love it and that's all there is to it
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-24 18:10
@Valentiner

Orange may very well be making a bigger profit in Romania than in the UK, but the last time I checked Orange and SE were not the same company. Just because Orange make a bigger profit in Romania than in the UK does not make it a more important market. With approximately eight million GSM subscribers SE has a potential customer base of that figure in Romania e.g. eight million potential customers. The UK has somewhere between forty five and fifty million GSM subscribers, which represents a much larger potential customer base than in Romania, hence a more important market.

If one chooses to be an early adopter one must expect to face problems, as unwelcome as they may be. Of course no one bugs in their mobile, but with modern mobiles it is a sad fact. I usually wait at least a few weeks to find out what other users think of a product I am considering buying. You seem a little naive if you seriously forward the idea that you didn't consider what new products might be out; when it comes to mobiles there is always something better coming along.

I still hold to the view that comparing a Symbian mobile with a non-Symbian mobile isn't really fair as they are designed to be very different devices.

I would agree with you regarding the joystick, it does seem odd that Nokia should abandon such a useful feature, especially when one considers how awkward some of their keypads can be. On a similar note I wish SE would include a jog-dial in more of their products.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
neonw
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 10:44
Its simple really. The Nokia 6600 was promoted as a symbian phone which happened to have a camera. The k700 was promoted as a dual front phone with equal emphasis on the phone and camera. Yet it is the 6600 which walls away with a better cam than the k70

This message was posted from a WAP device

Alebagatin
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 13:11
Hey folks

Well, I was with a K700 on my hand yesterday- IT'S FANTASTIC! But I could see a few, as there was a low batt... But I wanna get a camera phone, and I really wanted it... But should I buy it after all? I like SE the most- and is K700 a trashy phone as I can read?????

Well, I think it will be my Xmas gift, and I have a t230, so I hope I can get an excelent screen, camera and phone!

Give me some advises, pleeeassseee
Ewok
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 13:16
the reason for the crappy pictures on the k700 in anything but perfect lighting afaik is that it uses a crappy CMOS sensor instead of a nice CCD one. so its basically using the same sort of sensor as most crapy webcams do (which all provide nasty grainy pictures in anything but perfect light).

they probably did it to save money and shot themselves in the foot bigtime, theres no excuse for that these days.
aremaboy
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 14:33
Anything said about K700i-I don't think it much-nothing is 100% perfect about a handphone--don't u ever think how smart the genius behind this K700i? We're all simply mock,complain,feel disappointed,yell and think that ět's a junk. So,if u really understand this point--SE is still the best. Despite its battery,personally is fine. By the way,my basic needs are only making call,send SMS,and browse via WAP-GPRS--Symbian isn't too important for me-don't worry,K700i is the great handset. The camera wow... [addsig]
neo001
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 14:59

Whaasup dude . . . i have a real good solution , sell both of your phones (blokia 6600 & k700) and get yourself one of °°° THIS °°° i think its exactly what you need . . . and by the way , k700 its a greeeeeeaaat phone !! cheers . . .

[ This Message was edited by: neo001 on 2004-11-28 14:01 ]
Alebagatin
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 16:36
Hello!!! It' good to have some good news! I will buy it as soon as I can- I loved the desing, the camera seems really cool, a lot of memory, and the most important-
IT IS A SSSOOOOOOONNNNYYYYY ERICSSON!!!!!!!!!

I can't help buying it... huahuahuahua
abraham_aiza
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-27 20:32
let me tell u my experience:

ive had my SE k700i for like 6 months, it has never fallen, however has scratchs, my joystic fails to work 99.9% of the times, slooooow,camera OK, except for video which really doesnt quite do it, here i dont think its a salary issue, as it came to me free cus of my monthly payments, i bought a nokia 7280 to go clubbing (fashion phone), it was not my daily use cell phone now it is, cus its even fster to type on the 7280 messages now than just to wait for k700 to even do something...quite sad actually, i really was a SE lover so i went to my cell company and noticed they already had the k750 available..i bought it...i returned it its the same bullshit really...just a better cam and a smaller screen, so i am now getting a v3 probably, just to make a record here, my cell company in mexico discontinued k700i for the problems, they changed my battery twice already and the phone once...and its still a crapy phone....thats so sad RIP SE for me really, it really looks like the cell phones are more sony made than ericsson like they use to be.
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-07-27 20:58
let me tell u my experience:

I got one of the very first K700 ever manufactured, and to this day (now being used by my son) it still looks and feels sparkling brand new.
Not a single scratch, joystick working 100%, no squeaks when used, quiksharesticker couldent be removed even with force, phone is absolutely rocksolid build. I could sell it as new and noone would know better.

Basically most of the time it boils down to how each individual take care of their equipment. Mine is allways kept in a proper antistatic beltcase when not used. Others keep their phones in static dusty environments like pockets together with keys, coins etc.
A friend of mine got a K700 2 months ago, his looks like its 10 years old, but he also treats it poorly.

PS: just for the record K700 and K750 screensize are identical

[ This Message was edited by: numb on 2005-07-27 19:58 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic