Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Official P900/P910 comparison

Author Official P900/P910 comparison
zol
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-09-16 01:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

Opera and FileMan, for instance, do not show this same behavior as the built-in ones.

It's a UIQ design rule that _editable_ views are saved and closed when you switch to another task. This happens when editing in Messages, Jotter, Handy Safe, and so on. OTOH, non-editable views are preserved when tasking away, like in FileMan Opera, built-in browser, etc. So this has nothing to do with multitasking, or built-in/3rd-party, or SE/Nokia. It is a concept to preserve user data in UIQ devices.
edge_bono_u2
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-09-16 05:21
quick question.

sorry if i missed it somewhere (i tried to skim through all the info and links) but is it true that the p910 does NOT playback mp3 files?

if not, does anyone know why they changed this?

petrutms
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-16 09:27
of course it can. p800, p900, p910, k700, s700 can play mp3.
titus
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-09-16 09:41
Quote:

On 2004-09-15 16:02:58, elyl wrote:
Here's my theory on the P910's screen... not sure if anyone's mentioned this before, so apologies if they have.

Some say it's 262k, others 65k... I also heard someone say it was only 262k for viewing pictures full screen - that rang a bell with me.

Back in the good old days of computing, there was a special screen mode which allowed you to view a higher amount of colours on a chipset only capable of a lower amount. It worked by changing the palette of the chipset midway through drawing the screen.
This meant some limitations, namely, the fact that you could only view 262k colour on static images (with some minor 'artifacting' if you looked closely), and the fact that you had to use processing power to keep the image displayed.

My theory is that the chipset in the P910 has resurrected this screenmode for viewing static images full-screen... meaning, you can forget having your phone 'desktop' in 262k, and no 262k colour games... basically, the limitation of the screenmode is that the colour that a pixel can be is determined by the colour of the preceding pixel on screen - if you move an item on screen, it will mess up the colour of the pixels to the left or right of it while the item is moving.

It IS possible to have 262k pre-rendered animations, but the artifacting between the edges of colours will become more noticable.

Just my theory, I could be wrong...

That so isn't the case here, that was in the old times (argh the memories). Problem with a 262k screen the human eye should notice a dramatic difference from 65K, only a little, doubt the graphics chip could handle 262K colours on games without issues, is the Mhz & processor same on P910 I guess so...
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-09-16 13:05
Quote:

On 2004-09-15 16:02:58, elyl wrote:
Back in the good old days of computing, there was a special screen mode which allowed you to view a higher amount of colours on a chipset only capable of a lower amount. It worked by changing the palette of the chipset midway through drawing the screen.

Do you mean HAM mode in the Commodore Amiga? LOL
It permited 4096 colors using only a 6 bit depth screen (2^6 = 64 colors)
Only the geniouses that created the Amiga could invent that!
I don't think so. Ask any SonyEricsson technician and they would say that 4096 colors with 6 bits is impossible.

Besides, the Amiga had an image co-processor called Copper that made possible to change the screen pallete in the middle of the refresh of the screen.

Knowing these things ... does this mean I'm getting old??

[ This Message was edited by: _LAU_ on 2004-09-16 12:58 ]
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-20 15:02
Ah yes, Hold - And - Modify! I remember that, along with all the lovely interlace flicker on a non-multisync monitor!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi