Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Official P900/P910 comparison

123  Next
Author Official P900/P910 comparison
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 18:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
A new document has been put onto the SE developer phone specifications page which compares the P900 with the P910
(you'll need to have a developer account to download it)

briefly...

SOFTWARE:

New viewer for MS word complete with editing functionality
New viewer for MS word Excel complete with editing functionality
New viewer software for PDF
New image formats
New themes

Larger application launcher icons in flip closed mode

Improved IMAP4 support for read/unread status
For IMAP4 type accounts you can subscribe to remote folders that are locate don the server

To improve the organisation of your folders you can create more folders locally on your smartphone. Messages cannot be created on the memory stick. This feature gives you the ability to download only recent messages and to select how many of the rfecent messages to download

Support for view of HTML text in messages

Stellant viewers are removed and replaced with QuickOffice viewers for Word, Excel and PDF files The word and excel viewers will also support editing

P910 supports Outlook 2003 and Lotus Notes 6.0/6.5

At incoming call the phone will switch to the phone applicatoin regardless of previous application
At incoming call a common view will offer the most relevant alternatives (e.g. call filter, call forwarding and silent mode)
quick access to call filter in flip closed mode
initiating 2nd call, conferencing and sending DTMF tones have all been made easier

The Music player in P910 Series can also play AAC format audio encoded into .aac, .m4a and .mp4 files

The P910 browser offers a number of new features:
Narrow Layout: The internet application can now display a web page in two different ways. As you see it on your computer or reformatted to fit the width of the screen

One hand navigation using only the jog dial

hotspot (links, radio buttons, check boxes etc) navigation by rotating the jog dial to select a hotspot and pressing it in to select. also jog dial forward bring up a menu with useful commands and jogdial back to go to previous page

page scrolling can now be made faster by rotating the jog dial faster

scan text: after ensuring no hotspot is selected you press the jog dial inwards and it will take you to the part of the page with the most text

storage wizard: sounds like an enhanced file manager

memory stick duo pro

bluetooth:
car handsfree profile
sniff mode (this is for better battery durability)

Java
All mandatory part of the Joint Technology for Wireless Industry (JTWI) R1 specifications (JSR-185) supported
API support added for Full Screen Canvas, Vibrator and Backlight
Access to IMEI number and software version

MECHANICS:

P910 Series features a new design ID, but with limited mechanical changes except for the redesigned numerical keypad on the outside of the flip.
The main functional change is the addition of a 33 key keyboard for text entry on the inside of the flip

P910 Colour: Ambient Silver

P910 has same size as P900 but is 1.8mm thicker due to keyboard flip and is 5g heavier

Languages support by flip
QWERTY: American English, English, Swedish, Danish, Norweigan, Finnish, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Portugese, Czech, Canadian French

QWERTZ: german, Hungarian, Polish
Other: French (AZERTY), Russian, Greek

also Chinese variants

Internal memory: flash memory increased form 48mb to 96mb, available user memory up to 64mb (60mb for chinese)

Bluetooth: New chipset and microcode

Camera: General quality improvements

Display: 262k colours now and user setting for display light intensity has been added

backlight/LEDs: the number of LEDs have been increased for P910 giving and increased luminance and improved display performance outdoors

MISCELLANEOUS:
The P910 will continue to support the same range of accessories as P900

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2004-09-08 21:30 ]
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-08 18:17
It's good you can now change light intensity. It's one thing i always hated about my P800 is that it was blinding when you wake up and need to read a message on your screen in the dark
petrutms
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 18:22
pretty much new stuff on p910! 96 mb flash!!! wow! too bad that the camera is bad, also no flashlight, no bt 100m... but i'll buy it someday...
royalty
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-08 18:45
Thanks masseur the only exciting thing about the p910 for me is:
Quote:

On 2004-09-08 18:13:55, masseur wrote:
Display: 262k colours now and user setting for display light intensity has been added

the rest are only tweaks
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-08 18:48
thanks masseur

interesting to know how far technology is advancing!

BUT YOU FORGOT ONE VITAL DIFFERENCE!!!

the blasted price

[addsig]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 18:49
I found the fact that the internal browser now sounds very much like opera in its page reformatting capabability, and the selection of hotlinks and also the fact that they changed the bluetooth chip and microcode very interesting.

with that last one I wonder if that was just to implement the car handsfree profile or whether it was because of problems that quite a few people had
Jabe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 19:00
For me the most interesting thing is 64mb RAM. I guess we can expect some more sophisticated (and more RAMusing) apps now.
Maratonmannen
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 19:02
One thing I miss in the P910i is the "Old fashion" ringtone. And it is not available at Sony Ericsson Fun&Download.
mustu
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-08 19:10
are there any creeking sounds or anything we should look at before getting one.
janptr
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 19:14
Jabe, it´s not 64MB RAM as you wrote right? C/ memory is changed from 16 to 64 MB and RAM memory increased from maybe 6-7 to 21, any missunderstanding?
Rgds
J-P
Jabe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 19:25
@janptr
Yes, there obviously was a missunderstanding. I guess I should've read the article more carefully. But on the other hand - 21mb is good, too.
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 20:10
The improvements to the Browser sound fantastic to me & those alone now make me want one!
I use the browser more than anything & they are EXACTLY the changes I wanted It's like they read my mind!

I'm definately gonna get one now.........at the right price

se-nse-a-win;Sell Any Item;[url=http://A-ZoTT.com]A-ZoTT.com[/
ripkord
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 20:19
Not much of an upgrade really....

My next smartphone wont be SE im afraid.
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-08 21:50
The P910 has now the Opera browser build in.

New free or trial applications bundled with the P910 include AvantGo® (offline browsing), Media Viewer (direct access to news such as the Financial Times) and Promyzer (real-time market quotes and stock trading). HP Mobile Printing Application allows messages, pictures, calendars and contacts to be printed directly to a Bluetooth-enabled HP printer. Wayfinder Mobile Navigator™ is a navigation tool included on the Software Suite that ships with the phone, which works as a turn-by-turn in-car navigation system when connected to a Bluetooth GPS receiver. The P910 also comes with the Opera browser, offering a superior Internet experience that reformats and perfectly presents the full Internet within the P910’s screen width.

From sonyericsson.com
http://www.sonyericsson.com/s[....]1_1_1&zone=pc&lm=pc1&prid=1966
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 22:02
your link to the press release doesn't mention built-in. It actually says "P910 also comes with the Opera browser, offering a superior Internet experience that reformats and perfectly presents the full Internet within the P910’s screen width."

the document which I linked to in the first post of this thread only mentions opera as an application supplied on the CD along with:

V-rally (free)
Mobipocket reader (free)
Worldmate Pro (trial)
SplashID (trial)
Metro (free)
IM+ (trial)
Photo Editor (trial)
Wayfinder mobile navigator (trial)
HP Runestone (trial)
Booster (free)
Handyday (trial)
Handy Expense (trial)