Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Official P900/P910 comparison

Previous  123  Next
Author Official P900/P910 comparison
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-08 22:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
We just have to wait an see if SE replaced the internal browser with Opera, has it loaded on there in addition to, or if it comes on the CD besides the internal browser.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Jabe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 22:13
Is quickpoint made by the same company that offers quickoffice? On their site there's quickpoint mentioned only in the S60 section.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 22:16
quickpoint is a power point viewer made by mobility so yes, its by the same people
Eepo
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 22:18
I read from the white paper that the P910i can maintain bluetooth connections with several devices simultaneously (a so called "multilink" feature).

Also from the wp:

P910i Consumer Package

The exact contents of the P910i package depend on the localization.

The basic contents are as follows:
A P910i with stylus
B Battery
C Travel charger
D SyncStation
E Stereo headset
F Carry case and strap
G Extra stylus
H Memory Stick PRO Duo
J Memory Stick adapter
K Flip replacement cover
L Flip replacement tool set
M User documentation package
N 2 CDs: Sony Ericsson PC Suite and Content and Application CD

[ This Message was edited by: Eepo on 2004-09-08 21:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Eepo on 2004-09-08 22:16 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 22:31
I just noticed in my rush to type this up I missed a few other changes so I have put them into the first post.

they are the ones up to where it mentions the music player
Symbiatico
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 23:14
Just to clear a few things up.

RAM on the P910 has increased dramatically from the P900's 16MB (7-8 available for apps), to a healthy 32MB (21 available)

This is one of the more important improvments of the P910. Anyone who uses Opera or the default browser would be happy.

As for internal storage, C, it has increased from 16 to 64.

Of the 16MB's my P900 has, only 9-10MB's is actualy available, so l assume the increase is nice and welcome, especially for things received via BT.

Sadly, there's no EDGE support yet! My provider is starting service at the same price point of regular GPRS for unlimited usage.

And the P910, just like the P900 before it, is quite poor at multi-tasking, at least with the built-in main apps.
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2004-09-08 23:28
Quote:

On 2004-09-08 23:14:00, Symbiatico wrote:
And the P910, just like the P900 before it, is quite poor at multi-tasking, at least with the built-in main apps.

In what way do you mean and what do you base that on ?

This is what Michal Jerz at my-symbian says in his review

The most significant internal changes are enhanced RAM and storage memories. The internal storage drive (disk C:) is now 64 megabytes (i.e. 4 times more than in P900). Operating memory (RAM) has been expanded to 32 megabytes, with over 21 MB free (which is over 3 times more than in P900). This finally makes the P series capable of running much more advanced applications, improves multitasking (by letting you run more programs simultaneously) and also boosts the performance. You are unlikely to see any "Out of memory" messages when working with Opera browser and you no longer have to care about limited storage for Messaging.

http://my-symbian.com/uiq/p910_review.php

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2004-09-08 22:30 ]
Symbiatico
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-09-09 00:49
Quote:
In what way do you mean and what do you base that on?

Arne,

I base that on many many months of extensive P900 use! It's a wonderful device that, for me at least, would only be surpassed by its successor.

As for the poor multi-tasking thing, I'm quite surprised no one has caught this simple failing on SE's part. All the built-in apps stinck at multi-tasking because they default to their starting point if you switch to another app!

Suppose you're in the middle of writing an email and wanted to copy and paste a little info from another app. You go back to your email and the Messaging app takes you to the very begining, to the Accounts list! Or you're writing an SMS. You want to include someone's number, so you switch to Contacts for a few seconds. When you go back to Messages, it takes you back, again, to the accounts list! You must click on SMS, go to the menu and select Drafts, select your sms, and, ... well it's not so pleasant!

The same is also true for Calendar, Contacts, and Jotter, are all nice and well-made, untill you need to switch to another app for a couple of seconds! If you edit a contact and needed to copy some details from a nother app, you'll be taken back to the letter A entries! Nothing stays open or where it was left. Come to think of it, Jotter makes a really bad shopping list app!

BTW, as much as we like to bash it, standard apps on Nokia's Series60 mobiles (6600, 7610) do not suffer from this silly behavior.

[ This Message was edited by: Symbiatico on 2004-09-09 00:00 ]
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2004-09-09 02:06
I got your point. Although P910 is based on same SymbianOS and UIQ the problem may have been fixed. Time will tell.
Symbiatico
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-09-09 10:43
Arne,

I wouldn't hold my breath much! From what little I've heard, the basic apps haven't changed.

I am more frustrated by the fact that Nokia's "lesser" Series60 is far better than UIQ in this multi-tasking aspect!

[ This Message was edited by: Symbiatico on 2004-09-09 10:39 ]
Wam7
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-09-09 10:59
I tend to agree with Symbiatico. Moving between apps is a lot more cumbersome than it should be. I also hope they've fixed the glaring oversight in not been able to add a new number to an already existing contacting. I have to 'pretend' I'm starting a new contact and then cut and paste it to the existing contact.

The new features are welcome but not enough for me to part with my P900 just yet. I, as I suspect a few others, will wait to see what the next installment holds as it will probably make leaps and bounds in various areas.
Symbiatico
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-09-09 14:50
Wam7 wrote:

"I also hope they've fixed the glaring oversight in not been able to add a new number to an already existing contacting. I have to 'pretend' I'm starting a new contact and then cut and paste it to the existing contact."

I don't quite understand that. Whether doing it from within Contacts or from the log, adding a number or a new field has always been a menu click away.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-11 06:27
Quote:

On 2004-09-09 00:49:17, Symbiatico wrote:
As for the poor multi-tasking thing, I'm quite surprised no one has caught this simple failing on SE's part. All the built-in apps stinck at multi-tasking because they default to their starting point if you switch to another app!

Or you're writing an SMS. You want to include someone's number, so you switch to Contacts for a few seconds. When you go back to Messages, it takes you back, again, to the accounts list! You must click on SMS, go to the menu and select Drafts, select your sms, and, ... well it's not so pleasant!

Uhmm... you do know that you can select multiple contacts while writing the SMS..WITHOUT going back to the contacts app right?

I don't know what you consider multi-tasking... but the P-series can multi-task better than most PDAs out on the market (Palm can't multi-task)

Multi-tasking means running multiple programs simultaneously. If your basis for multi-tasking are just the built-in apps... then you can't fault the hardware for the shortcoming of the software.

I can easily run TipicME (or 12Planet) without it defaulting to the main screen, in the background. Same goes for most AppForge apps... Mobipocket reader... and almost every other app I run off my P800.

If we go by your reasoning on multi-tasking... then that's kinda like saying a Pentium 4 HT sucks at multi-tasking because Windows notepad can't do embedded tables and spreadsheets.
Symbiatico
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-09-11 19:49
jplacson wrote:
Quote:
Uhmm... you do know that you can select multiple contacts while writing the SMS..WITHOUT going back to the contacts app right?

Yes, I do know this, but what I meant was the inclusion of any extra info from another place. One needs to do this kind of thing from time to time.

Quote:
Multi-tasking means running multiple programs simultaneously. If your basis for multi-tasking are just the built-in apps... then you can't fault the hardware for the shortcoming of the software.

Who's faulting the hardware? All I'm critical of is the the built-in apps, which happen to be made by the phone's manufacturer. Doesn't that mean SE deserve a little criticism?
Yes, you are right, no one can fault the hardware, because other fine apps, Opera and FileMan, for instance, do not show this same behavior as the built-in ones.

I personally don't think any Nokia, or Moto can even come close to the P900/910 in terms of practical usability: It's all in that jog-dial and touch screen.

BUT, I still think SE should make these all too important apps behave better. Just like all 3rd party apps do. What's even more annoying is that the equivalent apps on Nokia's Series60 phones don't do this!
elyl
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-09-15 16:02
Here's my theory on the P910's screen... not sure if anyone's mentioned this before, so apologies if they have.

Some say it's 262k, others 65k... I also heard someone say it was only 262k for viewing pictures full screen - that rang a bell with me.

Back in the good old days of computing, there was a special screen mode which allowed you to view a higher amount of colours on a chipset only capable of a lower amount. It worked by changing the palette of the chipset midway through drawing the screen.
This meant some limitations, namely, the fact that you could only view 262k colour on static images (with some minor 'artifacting' if you looked closely), and the fact that you had to use processing power to keep the image displayed.

My theory is that the chipset in the P910 has resurrected this screenmode for viewing static images full-screen... meaning, you can forget having your phone 'desktop' in 262k, and no 262k colour games... basically, the limitation of the screenmode is that the colour that a pixel can be is determined by the colour of the preceding pixel on screen - if you move an item on screen, it will mess up the colour of the pixels to the left or right of it while the item is moving.

It IS possible to have 262k pre-rendered animations, but the artifacting between the edges of colours will become more noticable.

Just my theory, I could be wrong...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi