Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Who actually uses flight mode?

Author Who actually uses flight mode?
haynesycop
Z800
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 15:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@batesie

i flew with monarch to mallorca a few weeks ago and was unable to use flight mode, they made me switch my p900 off. I tried explaining that it wouldnt allow bluetooth, calls etc but they were'nt having any of it.

i think if flight attendents were explained about the function and told which devices support it then it wouldnt be a problem.

they dont seem to have much understanding of it

i was a bit gutted. whats the point in having a p900 when you cant use its functions

[ This Message was edited by: thecopperfield on 2004-07-19 14:24 ]
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 15:32
@copperfield.
Thats a shame... At least you werent going long haul to Australia!!!

[addsig]
loonee
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 15:39
Flight mode- hospital mode- church mode- gas station mode- movie theater mode- library mode- may mobile phone company should be introducing all these mode

This message was posted from a T630

Lembo
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 15:44
Quote:

On 2004-07-19 14:23:03, jdfurbert wrote:
... another good use of flight mode is if you are entering a hospital and the "turn of cellular phone" sign is posted. Just put it on flight mode.

I've also used my p900 in hospital. Very useful in my opinion.
I don't think I would use my p900 on a plane anyway.
Just imagine if you forgot to put it on!! Easily done.
bacanito
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-19 16:22
When I got my P800 in April '03, I flew from Geneva to Frankfurt then Frankfurt to Montreal...Questions were never asked, and at that point, I had not yet tried removing the keypad, so it did look like a cell phone...Anydangway, I don't think it's called Flight Mode for nothing...I think airline companies should look into this
"Knowing how the game works doesn't make you a player."
Bacanito's Canadian Forum
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-19 17:07
I use Flight Mode every time I am on a plane. Luckily, I haven't had too many flight attendants screw with me. I think since not many people in the US have a Px00, they don't even know its a phone*.

(My roommate works at Best Buy and he says he sees people with a Px00 all the time, but I don't know if that means every day or once a month. I've NEVER seen anyone else with one of these phones... EVER!)
For sale: Near-mint M600i (white), PM me if interested
narduk
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 18:06
I use my P9 all the time on the plane without any hassle. I use flight mode and try not to make it look like a phone.

The only other P9 I have seen was a guy selling newspapers @ a newstand in NY City. Dont tell me those guys dont make off like bandits
deanb
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 20:13
Some observations:

- WiFi / Bluetooth on aircraft are generally OK as they operate in the 2.4GHz ISM range, which has been unlicenced for years & hence presumably has been factored into the design specs of all avionics. Both are also lower-power than mobile phones - BT is 2-20milliwatts, WiFi around 50mW vs. GSM averages at around 250mw but can peak at 2-3W. The onboard microwave ovens (which operate at 2.4GHz as well) put out 500W+, but are shielded. All of which is why Boeing's Connexion in-flight WiFi service had no problems being certified. (Why not just use an IP softphone client rather than your mobile.....)

- Various companies are trialling cellular-on-plane solutions using pico-cell technologies. Having the base station on the plane itself reduces the required power output of both the handset and the base station, and thus greatly reduces any risk of interference. The main issue with current in-flight use is that the phones use max power because of the range away from the base station.
See: Qualcomm & American Airlines http://www.qualcomm.com/press[....]2004/040715_aa_testflight.html
And ipaccess:
http://www.ipaccess.com/ipacc[....]pages/newsletter_archive3.html

And lastly, for the people who said they took the SIM out - it doesn't disable the radio, just means you can't register with an operator (you can still dial emergency services, for example)

Cheers

DeanB
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 21:43
Cheers DeanB, very informative. Now i know my p900 is as good as a microwave, but maybe easier to carry on the cycle to work

[ This Message was edited by: methylated_spirit on 2004-07-19 20:50 ]
tom_fun
Elm Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 21:44
i use flight mode all the time, i work shifts & it bugs me that the alarm wont go off if he phone is on silent, but if i leave the phone on so the alarm wakes me, my bleedin mates ring me & wake me!

the answer....... flight mode!
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-19 22:00
I have not used it so far, but will do so when I will use an airplane in the fall.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
bacanito
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-19 22:47
Quote:

On 2004-07-19 17:07:45, richy240 wrote:
I use Flight Mode every time I am on a plane. Luckily, I haven't had too many flight attendants screw with me. I think since not many people in the US have a Px00, they don't even know its a phone*.

(My roommate works at Best Buy and he says he sees people with a Px00 all the time, but I don't know if that means every day or once a month. I've NEVER seen anyone else with one of these phones... EVER!)

I can totally relate to that...people see my P800 here (Montreal, Canada), they look @ me and they're like 'Is that a phone?' lol Only seen about 4 P800s since april 2003, and not one P900...its actually sad, cuz it makes these little suckers that much more expensive here lol
"Knowing how the game works doesn't make you a player."
Bacanito's Canadian Forum
zx10pilot
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 23:37
I use it every night when my dreams are in flight.
I need as many alarm clocks as i can get to turf me out the sack in the morning without being woke by calls.
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2004-07-20 01:06
Don't know. But wouldn't it also be useful if you want to extend the battery life while watching a movie or playing game with your phone (I assume flight mode turns off the GSM/GPRS transmitter and receiver) ?

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2004-07-20 00:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2004-07-20 00:08 ]
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-20 03:32
I almost always sit in first class so i could bring a mobile station with me and they wouldn't say anything BUT
one time I whipped out my p800 (ahh good memories) and a hostess came up to me and said "you cant-" * flip it open and start playing a game * "oh sorry please continue"

didn't know it was a phone.

But what was said previously, i dont see any reason why our phones cant be used in flight mode except for take off and landing (as with all other electronics).

Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi