Esato

Forum > General discussions > Esato forum > @laffen and streamload.

12  Next
Author @laffen and streamload.
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 10:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hey laffen and mods... As you might have noticed the main problem at the moment seems to be bandwith for guys who need to upload there videos. While doing my research I cam across a company called STREAMLOAD... They provide data storage at a very reasonable price, but the cool part is if you ask them nicely I am sure they will kindly help sponsor ESATO.

http://www.streamload.com/About/AboutUs.asp?aboutus=sponsorship

I use them for all my data storage. Transfer between members will become so easy and fast becasue it will be on the server. This service is currently used on another forum (dont worry not another SE forum), and it works wonders especially helping people that need to upload or down. Anyway check it out and see what you think.

[ This Message was edited by: themarques on 2004-07-19 09:32 ]
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-19 13:09
why would esato need this?
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 13:39
Well lets look at the first obvious answers.

Do you think ESATO is goin to carry on being a free service as the numbers grow?
If I reacall clearly at one point Laffen had some beef about the upkeep and costs involved running this site. We all know money doesnt grow on trees and every little penny helps.

2. P800/P900 K700 or Z1010 everyone is making media and themes for it. So dont you think it would be good for those without anywhere to upload there videos to use this service? Instead of saying oh please MIXIN could you put it up on your sight and all the beggin that comes with it. You will see though ESATO has introduced the uploading of pictures they ask you to log in to REDUCE bandwith issues. I think that is saying something.

3. Anyway Il leave it to laffen and crew to decide if they feel they need it or not.
djpowelly
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 15:43
Not a bad idea....
djpowelly
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-19 20:57
Are there any plans to introduce membership fees at any point? Has this ever been discussed?
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Ayush
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 21:43
I think it's a bit unrealistic to pay member ship for a Virtual forum! ;-)

This message was posted from a T610

*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 21:47
@themarques - The idea was good 'but', there are some circumstancial
situations wherein the idea will result to vagueness and even being . . . hypothetical I think it will just like be that of uploadit.org for the images, and that site for the videos But when it comes to sponsoring esato that will be quite 'a punch-at-the-moon' scenario, I can't recall Sony Ericsson itself making some donations/sponsorship on this site Maybe if that site you are mentioning can accept uploads of vids for free - then that's one heck of a deal In the very distant future I am sure that we will be viewing more vids here than pure plain 'cam - shot' images , so I guess your concern will be very much noted at an early stage !
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 22:14
Membership fees has never been an issue to Laffen.
He created Esato with a vision that everything schould be for free for all users.
As traffic increased and expences grew he kept the basics of Esato as they had been since day one and added features that had to be purchased instead of starting to charge for "original" Esato services such as being a member in the forum.
The ultimate ringtone wav mp3
bacanito
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-19 22:25
I think that would be a great way to reduce participation in these forums...I personally wouldn't be against it, BUT, the reality is this: Methods of payment would most likely be credit card/paypal...this would mean I couldn't do it because I don't have/want/believe in credit cards @ this point. I have a strong feeling a lot of users would be left out with this kind of situation...and as Tranquil was saying (which I didn't know), it would defeat the very purpose for which Esato.com was created. Webspace can be found, I don't think there's a need for Esato to be responsible for managing this type of feature, I'm pretty sure laffen has a life after Esato...if I were in his shoes, I don't think I'd be interested in having this kind of stuff to worry about. But thats just me...
"Knowing how the game works doesn't make you a player."
Bacanito's Canadian Forum
djpowelly
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-19 23:00
I would pay a couple of quid for the membership, BUT i would not want pay an annual fee.

But, it would stop people just signing up and scamming.....
djpowelly
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-07-20 01:32
@djpowelly I agree with you 100%. I know this may sound silly, but I guess I have been in business to long, and vouch by the saying EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE. In that I am certain and have sworn by, so one day dont be suprised when you see a nice little logo saying ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS EXCEPTED, FOR PAYPAL USERS CLICK HERE>>>>>>
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-07-20 01:41
@themarques - just a point of clarification here mate, in your last post, is that ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS 'EXCEPTED' , or do you think it should read/spelled as : 'ACCEPTED' I'm really just quite confused here mate, the sentence would result to a double-meaning resulting to a mispelled 'word' - many thanks!
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-07-20 09:56
Typography error...well done, would you like a happy meal for that!!!!! So Mr Spelling Gestapo what has that point contributed to this topic?

energetic
Aino Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-20 10:01
mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-07-20 10:58
well i think that paying for a membership is one of the worst ideas ever
christ if this would happen than esato would loose the meaning of it! look at it this way when you first signed in erm registered, well would you register at that time if you would have to pay lets say 10 dollars? i wouldn't, sure now yes when we know that this site is great etc. BUT if this would ever hapeen:
1. the number of members would become very small
2. no new members
3. i can really imagine some show offs like bengalboy....
4. etc etc
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
12  Next
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic