Esato

Forum > General discussions > Esato forum > Esato Forum Suggestion -Yellow Card - Red Card

1234  Next
Author Esato Forum Suggestion -Yellow Card - Red Card
wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 14:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
In the past few weeks there have many lame and childish posts (they maybe actually be from children - who knows).

I for one am starting to tire of this. I propose a 'sin bin' or yellow and red card system, or 3 strikes and yoooourr out, for users who are reported to any mod for posting abusive, childish and irresponsible comments.

I know this board can ban users but there has been to much of this going on a not alot seems to be done about it. The most common threads seem to be when ever the word nokia is mentioned.

Please DO NOT comment on se vs nokia here. There is garbage thread here for just that.

What does everyone think?

The BEST & ONLY retro xhtml wap site.

[ This Message was edited by: orangeman on 2004-07-08 13:32 ]
energetic
Aino Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 14:35
I know exactly what you mean with your comments which are respected but you must admit that this system will be very hard to implement.

They have been some childish posts... yes. Some serious posts... yes. Some respected posts... yes. Some not true posts regarding rumours etc... yes.

But we must all understand that everybody is entitled to its own opinion no matter which they are. This is one of the rules of ESATO.

Every member has it reasons of been here either because they want to learn some stuff for their mobile or to find out when the latest SE mobile will be released or to learn and help others etc etc.

However there must be balance of everything. To learn, to offer, to help and to have fun sometimes why not?

Once again it will be very hard to create a system similar to what you are suggesting.
wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 15:27
"Some not true posts regarding rumours "

I did that for a very good reason

This one in fact
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 15:31
I can certainly see your point about non-productive or even counterproductive posts. However I gotta take a stand against a public sin-bin. If somebody gets a warning from mods or admin, there is absolutely no reason why anybody else should know about it. I think that would only trigger more conflict to be honest. And getting a warning or temporary can is bad enough without being advertised all over the board. It's an invite for more cheap shots in my opinion.

This message was posted from a Z600

wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 16:02
Good points vlam.

But blamed and shamed is an old remedy? You think this will not deter people from posting innapropraite stuff when they see their name on it?

Esato's bad board lol [addsig]
bacanito
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 16:05
I understand your point about privacy, vlamm, but can also relate to energetic and orangeman about childish posts...What bothers me sometimes are condescending posts about some newbie asking a question and some Esato veteran will basically make him feel like an idiot...I even had some "veteran" tell me in pm that he was going to stop browsing Esato because I stood up to him in a forum after he had made condescending comments about someone else. That's AFTER he went on my Canadian forum to diss me.

Basically, people don't necessarily have to know about who gets slapped with a "red" and "yellow" card, although it would be amusing to see people's behaviours in the forums when everyone can see a red/yellow card underneath their avatar, BUT I do think that the mods should crack down on morons who THINK they know everything and are better than everyone else (most of the time, it's the opposite) and keep this a place where you can ask your questions without the fear of being shot down...

@energetic

ti yenesse

About your comment on opinions, yes, people have and will always have the right to express their opinions. But as a wise man once said (don't ask me who hehe) : It's not WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it.

What do you guys think?
"Knowing how the game works doesn't make you a player."
Bacanito's Canadian Forum
wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 16:16
well said bacanito [addsig]
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 16:18
@ orangeman, that's not what i had in mind. What I think is seeing a small red card under ones name, might be seen by certain other forum members as 'carte blanche' to go and diss the 'carded' member.... which is ultimately NOT the idea behind a warning.

And don't come telling me we're all more mature than that, coz I think most of us are not.

And a 'card' system could easily discredit people even if they have changed their ways.

Once a crook always a crook
JAGUY85
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-08 16:19
There is a bit of everything here on Esato. The butt tight who get ticked off too easily and at times for no reason. You have the kids and the time wasters. I guess it goes for creating a balance. However, one thing that is consistent with all the groups is that most persons do not read. Either the manual or whatever. I think if most read it would alleviate a lot of the unnecessary and yes, the silly posts. All I want for Esato is a FACELIFT and more user friendly interface.

This message was posted from a T310

wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 16:25
Vlammetje wrote:

And don't come telling me we're all more mature than that, coz I think most of us are not.

True - hence the suggestion. I feel as if I'm a teacher at school sometimes, when I browse on esato. Perhaps I'm getting to old

And a 'card' system could easily discredit people even if they have changed their ways.

Of course it could be removed,

Once a crook always a crook

Yoiu calling me a crook

The BEST & ONLY retro xhtml wap site.

[ This Message was edited by: orangeman on 2004-07-08 15:26 ]
binoblaine05
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-07-08 16:33
I hope this system would push through!

Just a thought, this is multi-tasking for our mods reviewing all posts with Esato's growing family! (Do i get a yellow card for asking this one?)
bacanito
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 16:57
Just a suggestion:

I haven't read the terms of use (typical), but if it isnt specific enough about Esato DOESN'T want, then it should be...I'd go with Orangeman on the 3 strikes you're out part.

If it IS, then the rules should be enforced...

If people, such as me, don't read the terms, it's their problem, they have been given the opportunity to inform themselves.
energetic
Aino Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 16:59
I believe this will never be implemented. However I thing it would be a good idea the moderators to give warning through a PM and am sure the member will behave in a better way.

But what is the criteria for these warnings...?

Will it get better or worse?

bacanito
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-08 17:14
@ energetic

I received a warning once about some unapropriate pics on a thread, and now I know what I can and can't get away with...it shouldn't be more complicated than that...
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-07-08 19:27
perhaps as memebers we should be more active in either pointing these threads out to mods who probably have a tough job going through all the posts as it is
or even getting invovled in the thread and asking people to calm down or point out that they are going over board.
i know its hard sometimes but i do agree recently (seems to be around the time a new se phone comes out or new nokia) that some threads have been totally over the top.
they have gone beyond people expressing opinion to just people insulting people because they have a different phone. also some people seem to enjoy making things up and i aint talking about orangemans thread which was funny and designed to prove a point.
i guess all memebers have a job to do in policing themselves
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
1234  Next
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic