Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > Z1010 user reviews

Author Z1010 user reviews
KaStSE
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2004-07-05 19:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi people,
finally the Z1010 is here, grabbed one last week.
I'm pretty amazed and somehow disappointed by it.
Good points?
Features: SE finally added a bunch of things and options that were previously missing in other models.
3G: Video call things is pretty funny but... Who the hell am I gonna call? Know nobody with one of these.
UMTS Data... Sounds nice but operator is still struggling a bit with this.
My Friends: I know it existed also on T630 but I had a T610 so I'm enjoying this feature even if a bit buggy.
Camera: much better than T610, no comparison.
Memory Stick: had to do a Master Reset. Joy & Happyness!!! Most of downloaded stuff was on the Memory Stick. You sync it with PC, back on track.
MP3 Player: together with the Memory Stick, nice feature.

Now the bad points I've seen:
battery life. 1 day and something is not the best...
Bluetooth support. Why is it always connecting and disconnecting with the bluetooth of my car? It worked perfectly with my T610...
Firmware in general: I'm really waiting for an upgrade. The firmware is still pretty buggy. Called today my SC and they told me that the one I have (R1C002) is the latest supplied by SE.

In general: really impressed by this tiny wonder. Only negative point, with all the time SE had between first public presentation of the phone and public retail they could have done a better job on the firmware.
But the phone features are excellent, nice one SE!
Some say "too big", I personally think it's ok.

Now, I'm 100% available if a "future Z1010 buyer" has a question.
Post it here if you have a question and I'll try to see & reply.

Ka.

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2004-07-05 18:21 ]
croatia
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-07-05 19:22
congrats!!! how much in euros? heh
KaStSE
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2004-07-05 19:24
600 here with 1 year contract (already had contract so nothing extra for me)
bacanito
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-05 19:24
hey man, congrats on buying my dream lol There was another review on the Z1010, what do you think?

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=62805

All I would need for it to do is work on 1900 Mhz, but alas, it's not meant to be

Edit: Where's "here"?

Bacanito's Canadian Forum

[ This Message was edited by: bacanito on 2004-07-05 18:39 ]
KaStSE
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2004-07-05 19:27
Well, as per the rewiew you linked, seems battery life only affects me... [:)]
omnio
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 17:55
This is my first post since I just registered in esato so hello to everyone. I have some questions about Z1010. First of all, is the camera in a little bit difficult place for capturing? I have read in the product information that although it plays videos it does not capturing. Here in Greece SE insist that it captures video and not just for 10sec (for MMS) but as in K700 for unlimited time. What's the truth? And finally the memory is shared, so I can store as many sms I want? Thank u beforehand
the_twism
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 19:50
I am a happy owner of the z1010 also! I just wanted to comment on something KaStSE said about the phone. The battery indeed in the beginning had a very short life, but after 2-3 charges it changed dramatically and now last for at least 3 maybe 4 days (depending on the use).

@omnio: the phone does record unlimited time of video, depending of course how much memory you have on it. But even with the supplied memorystick (32MB) you can still record lots of video (I have recorded a video 11 minutes long and it is only 4MB). Of course, the larger the size the harder it is to send the video as an MMS (I believe there is a limit, not from the phone but from the network operator).
Hope this was helpful.

The only problem I have found is that the phone tends to change to 3G mode, making me unable to make and receive calls here in the UK. It finds Orange's 3G network which is still not operational and then goes to No Access mode, which I can fix by selecting Orange's 2G network from the Connectivity menu. However, in Greece the phone worked absolutely perfectly and I am very impressed with its data speed (MMS, WAP). Of course in Greece the 3G networks are all operational from all the providers.

I haven't spotted any bugs, but a firmware update is always pleasant.
I just want a simple phone... with 32bit color touch screen, video recording 640x480, 5 Megapixel camera, integrated TV/FM tuner, GPS system, and that shouldnt be heavier than 90g and should easily fit in my pocket...
omnio
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-07-10 00:05
Thank you very much for your quick and informative answer. I'm trying to save some money to buy Z1010 and also to get rid of 7650 I am stuck with!!! What about the position of the camera (that is not in the back of the screen as in such "flip" phones. Do you have to keep it in a certain angle? Can you see clearly at the screen when you are taking a photo? Sorry if I am very detailed but I have searched anything for mobiles before and the result was terrible (you can also call it 7650!!!!!).
the_twism
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-07-10 03:49
Well the position of the camera is actually a little bit tricky! Personally my fingers keep on getting in the way, but I believe it is a matter of getting used to the situation. As for how clear you see the screen when you take pictures, this is not problem, because the z1010 has a good quality screen, and you can see the image about to be taken almost from any angle.

Sorry for using greek... an thes pigaine se kanena Germano kai zitise na to deis. An thes episis mporeis na zitiseis na sou valoun mia SIM mesa na deis kai pos einai, polla katastimata to kanoun. Oso gia tis 3G ikanotites tou kinitou, kalypsi mexri stigmis (oson afora tin TIM) exei mono Athina, Thessaloniki, Patra kai Irakleio.
I just want a simple phone... with 32bit color touch screen, video recording 640x480, 5 Megapixel camera, integrated TV/FM tuner, GPS system, and that shouldnt be heavier than 90g and should easily fit in my pocket...
KaStSE
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2004-07-11 00:36
Yep, yep, I agree with the_twism, seems like the battery life improves with the charges. Also noticed that it seems to charge faster/better with a cheap charger I had bought to have a backup at work for my T610. I tried that charger and it chraged full in like less than 3 hours (optimized charging) while with the original one it took like 4 hours. Both cases the battery was flat.
As already said, the outside camera works perfectly, I'm kinda amazed by the quality improvement from the T6xx range to this Z1010. The picture quality really improved a lot even if we're still not at the "Mega Pixel" level. Videos work pretty fine. Yes, you can record videos up to the room you have on your phone or card. There is an option to choose to save picture or videos on the 8Mb (if I'm not wrong) phone memory or on the card. Lenght of the videos can be "limited" or "up to size of memory". This means that if you stick a 128Mb card... You can record your complete holiday, just remember to bring enough spare batteries to go through your day I have bought a 128Mb card which I think is the max the phone supports (as far I have read around).
Going back to what has been said about the switching to/from the 3G network, here where I live we already have a 3G network and it's my operator. Unfortunately coverage seems to be only at 60%/70% and the signal therefore is not always very strong. I often have to manually set it to the 3G net otherwise it will go on it's own on the 1800 as it's stronger. Due to this it's still not easy to enjoy the "mega data speeds" that UMTS boasts.
In reply to the poster that said the software seems not to be that buggy, well, as you know, depends on the firmware you have (I have R1C002) and how much you "play" with it. I managed to crash two times the Java VM and experiencing a nice auto-reset, while quite often the Theme Wallapaper disappears, ecc. The annoying thing is the bluetooth pairing with the Bluetooth handfree my car comes with.
The Z1010 connects and disconnects each 10 seconds. The phonebook is never completely uploaded to the car and... annoying.
Anyway, the phone is really great. I'm really happy having bought it.
I only had Ericsson and now SE phones, personally I don't like other brands. This phone is really great!

KaSt.
Leks
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-11 21:57
Is the camera better than the P800 one?
Would u recommend me to buy it new for 380€ or do u think I should w8 and pay around 520€ for the s700?
I now have 326€ + my z600 worth 215€ and my monthly income is 92€ (I am 15)
KaStSE
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2004-07-11 22:04
In case you're really looking for a CAMERA (sorry for the caps) phone then the S700 features a 1.3Megapixel camera and the Z1010 doesn't. I would say in this case better to turn towards the S700.
The Z1010 is more for the UMTS part and the VideoCall thing. In case you want more a Camera that allows also to call , I think the S700 is a better solution. But yet, the S700 I didn't see any around and don't know how it will really be.

92Euros? If only I had such budget per month when I was your age (which is more than 10 years ago)...

Ka.
Leks
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-11 22:26
Well no, camera is not a big deal.
My family has a 4mp camera...

I just wanted to know how they are against P800 pictures, cos I had 1 and though the pictures where good
It is also free 3g/gprs until 31/12-04 if i get the z1010
So I think I΄ll go for it anyway and buy a new phone after x-mas again when it΄s not free

Btw, the phone cost is 240€ and then 7,50€ in 18 months, but u can end it and pay the rest of the months cost (total 140€)

Well the 92€ is going for clothes, magazines, etc. to...

Owner of a WHITE z600.

[ This Message was edited by: Leksandfan on 2004-07-11 21:28 ]
the_twism
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-07-11 23:02
Well I believe the quality of the pictures are the same. My previous phone was a p800 and I can say ,in my opinion, it is the same if not better(z1010). The resolution(size) is the same (640x480) as the p800. But I havent seen the same picture taken by both phones so I cant really argue on this. It would be interesting if someone could do this (take the same picture with both phones and post them so that we can compare). I would be happy to do it but I sold my p800. Anyone up for this task?
KaStSE
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2004-07-11 23:07
240Euro? Here is 600Euro (plus 12 month contract at 6Euro) !!! I feel like stupid compared to the little price you have there.
Anyway, still better than some places on the net where it's over 900Euro.

Sorry, don't have a P800 to compare with. What I can do, if you want, tomorrow I take a picture and post it here for you to see.
You prefer blondes, brunettes or red? Kidding...

Ka.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi