Esato

Forum > General discussions > Garbage threads > Scrap the Post Count

Author Scrap the Post Count
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 06:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just because you got a lot of posts, does not mean anything. Some peeps just fill up their counters with short and "useless" messages, just to rack up more posts. For now I think it is still a good counter, because of a.) lack of a better system and b.) if you are a regular you are able to separate the cream from the crop.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 11:41
I am usually all for preserving the past and all that fizz, but quite frankly I just don't see a reason for keeping the post count. Although GOwin suggested that we just ignore it, this is difficult to do when it is displayed on each post. If we were to have ranks it would need to be done properly so that advancement is possible and isn't based merely upon the number of posts someone makes. One system could be to make ranks a factor of the number posts made, the length of time as a member and the moderator’s discretion on who regularly makes informative posts; of course I am only suggesting this if there were to be a ranking system, I am not actually advocating that there be such a system.
Perhaps the moderators could have a ‘moderator’s eyes only’ system to differentiate between members, the average Esatonian would have no access to this information, thus satisfying both requirements of abolishing the post count and allowing the moderator’s to differentiate between members.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
lor
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-06-23 11:50
actually, I disagree. I want laffen to have a day count. Like I've been here since 1979, so I want recognition.

jk

but to be honest, every forum on the internet has some sort of post count. It's weird~ I feel out of place with 3-4 post.

[ This Message was edited by: lor on 2004-06-23 10:53 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 12:00
I think @laffen gave us a clear point. Its his show and he can use the counter. We should ignore it. Thats it.

This message was posted from a T630

batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2004-06-23 12:09
@boba, how long before this gets brought up again? ;-)

This message was posted from a P900

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 12:21
It will be constantly in the air, as mentioned ay other members aswell. There are 2 sides, @laffen and the members. The question is, what is more effective for esato itself. The truth is some where between the 2 parties, but when a few persons has to control some thousands, they are worth to own privilegs by deciding in questions like this. We ll meet this dilemma in the next future, thats for sure.

Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 12:44
well for the admin of the board it is obviously simple to look into stats of numbers of posts of members. Because HE wants something does not really mean we HAVE to be able to see it too. He can tweak the board and our permissions any way he likes.

So I think you misinterpreted him. I think he meant he sees it as convenient for US, mere mortal members, to be able to distinguish members by things such as their postcount.

correct me if Im wrong

Personally I've never had much trouble recognizing members, but that's probably coz I mostly interact with the same group so I have some idea who's who anyway

And looking at ones postcount usually sheds no light for me... but that is just me
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 12:55
I

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 13:00
@boba

Please elaborate.

@all

The question is one of divisiveness, the post count serves no purpose other than conferring non-existent 'status' to some members who feel that the number of posts they have made is somehow a measure of their standing on Esato.
If the moderators need to know how many posts have been made by members for whatever reason, then that information could be kept to the moderators only. The idea of ignoring the post count is not really very practical, as I stated before.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 13:49
Well lemme just say that i find the post count very usefull indeed. I quite often look at how long the person has been a member and how much they post. It's a quick sign of how active the person is, and how much they should know.
It's not entirely accurate, but it gives the quick indication if i dont recognise the username
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 13:50
But all the same, other members feel 'superior' because they joined earlier than others, so let's get rid of the join date as well.
Ohers feel superior because they have a more expensive phone than some (or pretend to) so let's get rid of the avatars as well!

I, finally, feel superior because I am and there is no getting rid of me
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 14:04
sorry, had some gprs problems. all the comments here are very interesting. personally i dont take care of the posts, all i can say to this a wrote before, so i ll accept any decision. thats it.
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 14:14
Quote:

On 2004-06-23 13:49:00, MixiN wrote:
I quite often look at how long the person has been a member and how much they post. It's a quick sign of how active the person is, and how much they should know.

the amount of time spent online typing is an indication how much a total stranger should know??

That sounds rather silly imho

An accurate answer is the only true indication of what someone knows.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 14:22
The post count is harmless as long as people don't use it to give themselves more status than they actually have; I think we have all seen someone castigating someone else because of their low post count or assuming that someone doesn't know much because they have a low post count.
energetic
Aino Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 14:32
Here is another suggestion if you want to change the looks of the "Post counter".

Instead of ">500" lets continue the count to ">1000".

Not a great suggestion I must admit but what the...

Anyway regarding the "Day counter" it is obvious that there is an indication that says "Joined on 5th, June, 2002" etc. so why bother?

Now here is a last minute suggestion. We all have the avatar identification but what if we could add our photo. A photo small enough like the avatar size view. Only those logged (on-line) could watch the photo like in the "Orange Scribble". In this way not a lot of bandwidth will be used.

This are my suggestions but not the best apart from the photo thing but laffen will have the last word. Maybe its better to leave the whole thing as it is... or not?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic