Esato

Forum > General discussions > Garbage threads > Scrap the Post Count

Author Scrap the Post Count
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-21 16:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I would like to suggest that the post count be scrapped, the number of posts one has made is completely irrelevant, it serves absolutely no purpose other than to promote the idea that somehow a member is better than another if they have more posts. There also seems to be a perplexing need to get to five hundred posts, it is almost as if that makes one a better Esatonian too.
There are many Esatonians who have relatively low post counts and yet provide a very high standard of information and debate. I'm not quite sure why there is a post count anyway, as I said, it doesn't appear to serve any purpose. If it is necessary to keep account of how many posts members have made, then surely this could be done by the moderators behind the scenes.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-21 16:36
Scrap the post count and bring in esatoage™, which counts how many days you've been a member at esato
The Little Master
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2004-06-21 16:37
i second that...i mean its the first thing that everyone looks at when theres another member on the scene and they just assume that you dont know as much as them..its pointless really
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-06-21 18:26
i dont care one way or another. after youve been here a few weeks you soon get to see who helps who who takes the piss etc so the post count does make much difference
i did post that i had reach 500 as i was quiet pleased to have been around long enough to do it and like to think ive helped a few people along the way
i do agree the number makes no differnce some people who have just joined can be as or far more knowlegdeable on subjects than people who have been around for ever
if its goes i couldnt careless and if it stays i couldnt care less
ephil_24
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-06-21 18:32
@MixiN That would be ok but some users (like me) used to watch the forum a long time before they made a registration...
...I'm frightened by what I see but somehow I know that there's much more to come. Immobilized by my fear and soon to be blinded by tears. I know I can stop the pain if I will it all away...
bico
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 01:03
@scotsboyuk: I agree with you! Very good idea!
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 01:09
We discussed it already and i do support the idea. Would be interesting what @laffen is going to do in this case.

This message was posted from a T630

Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 01:16
Quote:

On 2004-06-21 18:32:40, ephil_24 wrote:
@MixiN That would be ok but some users (like me) used to watch the forum a long time before they made a registration...

let's talk in small print shall we. I think you misunderstood an obvious joke in that, as it seems rather plain and clear to me that is is ridiculous to get rid of one system that may make certain members feel a certain unjustified 'superiority' over others, just so we can exchange it for another system that may make certain members feel a certain unjustified 'superiority' over others
I think the whole point is that all useless info on which certain individuals think they oughta base their perceived status, serve no purpose at all.
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 01:29
@Vlammetje
very well said! (or written)
bico
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 01:34
Let's get rid of the old post counter once and for all. Let's not introduce a new memberday counter. These kind of misleading counters are of little or no use to anyone.

That the current post counter is meant to be some kind of measure of a posters knowledge and/or quality is quite obvious. Otherwise, why are the posts from the garbage and the mobile free zone threads not counted? Because they are not considered to be a measure of a posters knowledge and/or quality, while the others are.

@laffen: What do you say? What's your opinion?

[ This Message was edited by: bico on 2004-06-23 00:49 ]
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 01:47
when esato was new, that counter had some relevance but now it's just a relic of the old esato. laffen need not exert any extra effort, we can simply ignore it.
bico
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 01:54
I'm sure that as long as the post counter is available, the discussion will arise every now and then. But it's no big deal.
arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 02:14
actually, other forums are worse because they have this "ranking" based on number of posts such as "newbie", "citizen", "guru", etc, etc.

[ This Message was edited by: arnoldc on 2004-06-23 01:15 ]
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2004-06-23 02:22
For me, it is sometimes difficult to separate different users with similar names (see attached image). The counter is a quick way to separate the "oldtimers" from the rest.

GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-23 02:43
oh, shucks. "oldtimers"

at least, that's better than geezers.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic