Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Who is a pilot here?

Previous  123  Next
Author Who is a pilot here?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-01-31 00:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
in general I have found that PPL from few places is valid anywhere else without some local training.

most brits go to us because its cheap but then find that to satisfy CAA they have to do some further training back here.

if you want a challenge, learn in Oz. its a very professional and challenging environment, especially when you start doing your cross country into areas with very few features for visual navigation. when you can navigate away from major cities in oz (note I don't say outback!) then you can navigate almost anywhere on the planet!

us and oz rates are about the same, i.e. half-ish compared with UK because fueld costs are so much less

and don't be tempted to try and use GPS during your initial training... its like using a calculator for maths exams... learn the raw way first and then if you want to use a gps later and even do endorcements for gps arrivals etc

good luck!
p900 lover
W960
PM
Posted: 2007-01-31 01:13
Thanks for the reply, how many hours do you think it will take? iv heard around 50 but is that realistic?

And how long in time, i know it depends on me but say fly everyday or 3/4 times a week.

I saw a course near LA in the states and it was £3800 for 28 days including accommodation and 50 hours flight, is that what i would spend in OZ?

Thanks again
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-01-31 01:24
sounds about right. in australia you get a restricted ppl first which lets you do circuits on your own and fly to/from the training area, then you go on to do the unrestricted which basically adds the cross country.

I would count 50 hours as a minimum but probably count on 60 hours, and don't forget there is ALOT of theory and exams, its not all flying.

Australia has what are call GAAP aerodromes at the major cities, that General Aviation AirPort and these are away from the main commercial airports. I use Bankstown in Sydney (whereas the international airport is called Kingsford Smith). Melbourne has Moorabin, Brisbane has Archerfield etc etc

some links for you:

the CAA in Australia is called CASA and they put out some PDF VFR guides for the various GAAPS (inbound, outbound routing visual points and general GAAP procedures etc

the people who do the publications (maps, notams, instrument approach charts, procedures, pilot briefing (pre flight weather, routing etc) etc etc) are call Air Services Australia

I fly with Schofields flying club
Idea
Z600
PM
Posted: 2007-01-31 11:21
All you guys with PPLs are lucky. After graduating highschool I badly wanted to go to Thailand and do my PPL there. For all you considering taking the course i do advise Thailand. I am certain that on mainland Europe (Germany Poland and France as I checked) do allow authorization for flights if you have your licence from East Asia. All you will be required is to take a flight with the instructor.
I myself have never reached PPL or my further dream the CPL. Untill this date I am stuck flying microlights. But they are sweet little things and quite easy to learn to fly. I've learnt on an Aeroprakt a20 a single engine 90hp plane. Since then Ive flown a Aeroprakt 26 twin engined special order with each engine producing 160hp. And the fastest thing I've been flown in had to be the aeroprakt a36 first one ever built with twin 200hp engines, never got to fly that one yet, but hopefully when I return to the emirates ill get a go.

Check out the planes: http://www.aeroprakt.kiev.ua/eng_html/main.html
"In times of rapid change, experience could be your worst enemy." - Jean Paul Getty

"Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer Simpson
paul101
G502
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-28 23:05
bump/

i do my flying on a much smaller scale (model) and ive crashed, lets see... err... aaaa... ive lost count

i seem to be the only one who sees THAT BIG CLOUD!!

looking at learning the real thing but afraid it might be a bit expensive

[ This Message was edited by: paul101 on 2007-11-28 22:15 ]
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2007-11-28 23:15
Got a flying lesson for my birthday.never done it before,really looking forward to it [addsig]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-11-28 23:30
when (and where) is that?

unfortunately its not the best time of the year to be flying unless you get a good clear sky day.

still, on your first trial or lesson you get to learn control on the ground using your feet and you'll get to take control for alot of the flying once airborne and at height and the instructor will take you to the training area so you'll get to experience what its like trying to find the aerodrome visually

in your first 2-3 hours just think of it as driving in 3 dimensions because, as a novice, thats what it will feel like if you're flying an aircraft with a control wheel. If you're flying an aircraft with a control stick then its completely different

and don't be daunted at the pre-take off checks and the controls you have around you because you'll soon become familar with them
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2007-11-28 23:35
around Guernsey, ive got 6 months to use it so ill probably wait till next year

[ This Message was edited by: Dicky Snapples on 2007-11-28 22:36 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-11-28 23:43
winter can be good because the cold air provides better aircraft performance, so my suggestion is to wait until a day you are free which has low/nil wind and clear skies and see if there is availability for your lesson on that day and then GO FOR IT! you'll love it!
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2007-11-28 23:47
cool,ive got quite a few days off in December so ill try and get up then.

this is the plane

[addsig]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-11-29 00:02
looks like a Warrior. not a bad training aircraft. I learned in a Cessna 152 initially then progressed to 172 cutlass (retractable landing gear) then 182, 210 and other cessnas including the fabulous cessna 310 twin engine which does 180 knots (3 miles a minute!). Great for getting around Australia in decent times!

let us know how you go!
parsnip
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-29 18:40
I'm 15, i've been flying 7 times with the Air Cadets in the Grob g115e tutor and after 6th form i'm going to apply to the RAF to become a fighter pilot!
www.aviatorforums.co.nr
paul101
G502
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-29 19:30
^^^ oooh very nice

how much does it cost for a lesson?
I don't wanna sleep
I don't wanna dream
'cause my dreams don't comfort me
parsnip
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-29 22:51
Nothing!
www.aviatorforums.co.nr
paul101
G502
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-29 23:09
ok, if I was to get a lesson. how much would it cost?
I don't wanna sleep
I don't wanna dream
'cause my dreams don't comfort me
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi