Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Nokia 6600 Star of a new movie cellular

Author Nokia 6600 Star of a new movie cellular
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-29 17:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

CEULLAR stars Kim Basinger, Chris Evans, Jason Statham and William H. Macy. It's out in theaters on August 17, 2004, and you can grab the trailer here from the CELLULAR website.

http://www.cellularthemovie.com/

[ This Message was edited by: axxxr on 2004-08-27 15:35 ]
MTNT68i
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-05-30 00:01
What a way to sell a phone....

Like in the movie "Is this the single greatest phone ever made" and the actor is referring to the 6600... Way to go Suckia......
-Attribute to competence what can adequately be explained by luck.
Lynx69
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2004-05-30 00:16
Nice

>>*Wow 2100+ posts*<<
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-27 16:37
When "Cellular" hits U.S. movie theaters Sept. 10, viewers will see Kim Basinger playing a kidnapped mother and William H. Macy as the cop who helps find her. But the title character is a snazzy new Nokia Inc. videophone -- the result of a risky product placement by the Finnish cellphone maker, reports the WSJ.

"The Nokia 6600 is central to the film's dark storyline, which portrays both the best and worst features of cellphones - such as a scene in a wireless-phone store, where, Ryan, frustrated by rude customer-service representatives, fires a revolver at a smiley-face sign to get their attention.

Nokia spokesman Kari Tuutti declines to say how much the phone maker paid for placement in the movie. Time Warner Inc.'s New Line Cinema, the film's distributor, declined to comment.

Absent from the movie, however, is any approved mention of a major U.S. wireless carrier".

Above - scenes from the trailer for "Cellular": Chris Evans's character receives a call from a stranger who says she is kidnapped (top). He tries to stay on the call but his phone's battery runs low on charge (middle). He tries to buy a charger, but only firing a gun at a store sign gets the attention of the sales staff.
[addsig]
friscosjoke
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2004-08-27 16:54
I heard about this movie awhile ago. Its from the same people who brought us phonebooth(no I am not kidding). So nokia landed the starring role in a nonoriginal movie from a theme writer good for them. the only way it could be better is if it had the same basic plot as fast and furious (wich was the same as above the law wich was the same as point break)
morbodestroys
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-08-28 02:51
Do they die from battery explosions?
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-28 03:02
Perhaps they use the phone as a bomb?

I'm getting a little worried at the amount of product placements in films - the Bond films (which are excellent, btw) have always had product placements, but relatively subtle. The Thunderbirds film has an extremely obvious Ford product placement/sponsorship in it, and every Ford ad here in the UK has some kind of Thunderbirds theme to it.
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-08-28 03:26
I am just beginning to wonder if SE fones were much taken into focus on when a movie (like this one) of this caliber was made . . . Hmmm . . . let me think . . . Yup! It was one of the James Bond flicks (latest with Halle Berry/SE P800 and T68i) + Charlie's Angels (SE T610) I Good thing for this new movie for the Nokia celfone maker !
morbodestroys
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-08-28 06:14
Its terrible. I cant stand it - its like you're paying $15 to watch 1.5 hrs of ads.

However, I do miss the Ericsson prototypes in Bond. Umm... cant remember the movie, but where the Ericsson is used to drive the 7 series... Hmmm...
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-14 14:59
Saved, and enslaved, by the cell............

First in phone-company marketing, and now in popular culture, the cellular phone has taken on the aura of an amulet of safety, an indispensable lifeline: wherever you are, you can always reach help.

The new movie "Cellular" is all about the cell phone as savior. Kim Basinger plays a woman who is abducted and taken to an attic, where there is an old rotary-dial phone that her captor proceeds to smash with a bat. Luckily, Basinger's character is a science teacher and manages to piece the debris together into a makeshift communication device. Attempting to use it, she is connected at random to the cell phone of a handsome surfer played by Chris Evans, who spends the rest of the movie saving the day while keeping her on the line.

Though the surfer must overcome weak cellular signals and dying batteries along with the more generic sorts of movie-plot crises, the mobile phone is clearly meant to be the hero of the piece, trumping fusty old fixed-line telephony in nearly every way.

But the notion is stretched so far in the film that it raises some contrarian questions: Is the sense of security engendered by a cell phone as much illusion as reality? Does carrying one make people better at coping with the world, or worse? Is it a lifeline or an apron string?

There is no question that instant access to a phone can save lives. People report fires and robberies, heart attacks and car crashes; parents keep tabs on children; grown children stay in touch with elderly parents. Knowing that you can always call for help in an emergency makes people feel safer.

But they also tether people more closely and constantly to others, and in recent months a growing number of experts have identified and begun to study a distinct downside in that: cell phone use may be making us less autonomous and less capable of solving problems on our own, even when the answers are right in front of us.

According to Christine Rosen, a senior editor at the journal New Atlantis and the author of "Our Cell phones, Ourselves," a recent article exploring the social effects of the mobile phone, the ease of obtaining instant advice encourages cell phone users to respond to any uncertainty, crucial or trivial, by dialing instead of deciding. The green sweater or the blue, pizza or Chinese, the bridge or the tunnel - why take responsibility for making up your own mind when you can convene a meeting in a minute?

"Cell phones foster a curious dependency," Rosen said. "The cell phone erodes something that is being obliterated in American society: self-reliance."

She offered an example. "I was taught how to change a tire so I can get a spare on and get to a garage," she said. "But who changes a tire now? You just call AAA."

Oddly, being able to keep constant track of friends and family can introduce a whole new kind of insecurity. For a parent, a call to a cell phone-carrying child may bring reassurance, but when the child doesn't answer the phone, the parent starts thinking the worst.

"The more available you are, the more worrisome it is when you can't reach people," Rosen said.

That situation also illustrates how the cell phone has become a tool for manipulating relationships. Children may use the phone as a technological alibi, claiming that their battery was dead or that they must have been in a signal dead spot, when in fact they saw it was Mom calling--again--and chose not to pick up.

The protector-enslaver duality of the cell phone is especially apparent in places like national parks, where millions of Americans test their mettle in the wild. Not surprisingly, the National Park Service sees plenty of hikers and campers carrying cell phones these days, and sometimes saving lives with them.

But they can also encourage park visitors to take bigger chances and do more dangerous things than they might otherwise, in the often-false belief that in case of trouble, help will be a call away. It never occurs to some that signal coverage out in the wilderness may be poor or nonexistent, or that park rangers are not AAA.

"We've rescued a few people on Denali and Mount Rainier with cell phones," said David Barna, a spokesman for the Park Service. "But you don't necessarily want calls from people who stub their toes. And one of our worries is that people will take their cell phones as security blankets and travel alone in parks."

Wilderness rescue aside, there are experts who say that the discussion of cell phones and autonomy has gotten the cause-and-effect backwards. Autonomy was already an illusion, they say, in a world built on instant communication, whether by telegraph or telephone or fax or e-mail or whatever. Cell phones just add more convenience.

"We are less self-reliant than ever, not because we are less independent, but because we are so much more connected," said Mark Federman, chief strategist at the McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology at the University of Toronto.

That cell phones help "reverse independence into dependence" is neither good nor bad, Federman said, just a natural outgrowth of technological innovation. Reflection, introspection, thinking for yourself--these tools of the mind, he said, exist separately from any technology.

There are also those who argue that cell phones ultimately empower rather than debilitate. We can make more intelligent choices and avoid more mistakes, they say, when we can quickly gather information and consult others.

"If you are left to your own, what would you think about?" said Kenneth J. Gergen, a professor of psychology at Swarthmore College, and author of "The Saturated Self." "You have to have other voices, reports and news. The best decisions are made in a whole set of dialogues."

[addsig]
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-10-14 15:12
I hope that SE will make a tie-up with say, MGM/Tri-Star etc. in making a movie, almost similar to this one, though of course with a different - plot, and will tackle 'bout hi-tech gadgetries at present!
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-10-14 15:23
Do they refer to the bugs that crippled this phone in the film?

EDIT: Hey does this mean that the film cant be shown on the BBC?

983 green bottles hanging on the wall...

[ This Message was edited by: methylated_spirit on 2004-10-14 15:05 ]
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-10-14 20:40
Quote:

On 2004-08-27 16:37:11, axxxr wrote:
But the title character is a snazzy new Nokia Inc. videophone

I see a 6600 not a video phone.
Isn't that cheating consumers? Like i-bought-a-phone-just-like-the-movie-now-let-me-make-some-video-calls kinda cheating?

The best part is that a few months ago, a Nokia's executive said that video calls are not a priority.

Check here: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=47301
(The original article is not available anymore) [addsig]
marlonxp
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-14 21:49
Manufactors always do that in movies. Their products are always a simulation.
wap.marlonhall.com
Guy89
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-10-15 14:29
the trailer looks interesting.
P905
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi