Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Nokia vs The World : Who's right?

Author Nokia vs The World : Who's right?
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-07 13:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
After seeing this article in posted in another thread, it seems that Nokia is not very enthusiastic about video calls in UMTS, while the rest on the manufacturers (SE included) have several UMTS devices ready and with video calls supported.
The most interesting fact on this article is that Nokia assumes that it's not going for Video calls right now.

So the question is: Who will win?

Two things can result on this.
1 - Nokia is right, and other manufacturers are just spending too much effort on development with no income in the near future.

2 - Nokia is wrong, and despite that they won't notice much loss of market right now, they will be late by one year in know-how about video calls, and as consequence, loose market share in 1 - 2 years.

For me point 2 is the one. I think Nokia is loosing too much time with EDGE. Carriers don't support EDGE, and i don't think they will, concentrating their efforts on UMTS.

What do you think?

[ This Message was edited by: Krubach on 2004-01-07 12:15 ]
Payalnik
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-07 13:20
What are the EDGE's advantages over GPRS and does it cost much to introduce it on the networks? If they turn it on then n**ia will gain even more customers

This message was posted from a WAP device

*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-01-07 13:23
@krubach - you're guess is as good as mine too, will choose #2 as well.
mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-01-07 13:27
actually i choose 1
why becouse i think that umts is a litlle too slow for a quality video conferencing while mobile screens are still stuck with 176*220 and that resolution doesn't give me quality video....
i personally think that umts isn't going to be anything big, in my opinion operators should focus their money on wi-fi....
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-07 13:32
Wi-Fi? They'd have to put an AP (Access point) almost every 50 meters to make a good coverage me thinks.
And UMTS licenses will expire if operators don't go public.
At lest in Portugal the limit is 01/June/2004. [addsig]
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-09 08:48
I would also choose #2, as 1 company cant opose a widestream. Companies have payed bilions of $ for the licences, i bet we havent seen the last of em in implementing the UMTS networks.Yes, it has been delayed, yes, it is expensive and unatractive but it is possible and ivee seen it with my own eyes at some demonstrations over at Cebit in 2002 and here in Romania at some expos. I guess UMTS will be a big thing in 2 years tops.
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-01-09 09:57
i dont think either as nokia will probably include video calls at some point just not yet.
i tend to agree with them (for once) at present not enough people have or want a video phone and the ones that do seem happier downloading sport content etc.
nokia wont be able to hold out forever as the networks will dictate what they need and in the uk they have spent billions and the licenses so will want that money back.
nokia are just been careful they very rarely release handsets that are ahead of the game theses days.they also have a few phone that can do video mms so they will have the abolity to put video calls into a phone.
most of the talk on this site is about the next p**0 or replacement for t610 and most people who talk about the z 1010 seem to be talking about possible features and were it will run on there current network.
so 3g isnt that big a deal for most people at this point in time in my opinion
lamebot
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-09 10:23
I'll go with #1. How many people do actually use video calls after the first short period of testing? I think umts operators would be much better of marketing high speed data...
wapmarks.net - WAP links and personal phone startpage
wap.wapmarks.net - phone access
mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-01-09 10:27
@krubach:
actually i've read in a magazine that they could cover the whole city with w.fi if they would want it, though i was suprised when i've read that but it was an interview with an experst so i believe it but i don't really know....
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-09 10:31
i believe it would be #2. for some people it may just be a passing thing, but many others will find it very useful. just think of the times it would be very useful for work, for parents checking up on their kids, etc., not to mention how it may transform phone sex!
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-01-09 11:12
Motorola was first with GPRS. Did it help them? No. I believe in option 1. Of course, things will change in 1-2 years, Nokia won't just have 6650 and 7700... Many network operators have EDGE (about 60), and is already available in quite a few countries. EDGE phones are selling on a mass market level. US market alone is huge! The technology is mature, built on the GSM/GPRS backbone.

This message was posted from a Nokia

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi