Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Poor battery performance

Author Poor battery performance
singe81
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-21 00:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I bought a P900 on Wednesday, pretty steep at £300 and £20/month on O2 from CPW. Anyway... I too am getting terrible battery performance. I found some photos on it that the staff had taken in the shop (i.e. it wasn't a brand new phone, had been already used), so I was thinking maybe they had used and abused the battery, but now from reading this post it just seems that I am one of the many to have rubbish battery life...
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-02-21 01:01
singe81

Sorry for others who have seen these tips before but you may find them useful:

1. Use Sman or similar (e.g. Task Manager) to reduce the number of background apps that are running in RAM
2. Use a blank screen saver
3. Turn off BT when no needed
4. Do not have GPRS attached all the time (see Control Panel/Internet Account/Other Tab and select GSM as preferred mode)
5. Charge the battery overnight after allowing it to run down to say 10 to 15%. Do this about three times.

And others that are mentioned on this thread and elsewhere. I have super battery life. My benchmark is my clour Palm Clie NR70, with which I get about half the usage time I get on the P900 and the NR70 is not even a communications device!
Join the 'dots' and see what happens
grex
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-02-21 04:09
to throw another spanner in...
I've moved on to a p900 recently from my p800. To enable me to play with my p900, I put my p800 battery in it, and kept it that way for a few days. I'd always thought the battery was jiggered, but the p900 stays on for 60 hours between charges on the 1000mah battery. could the p800 simply be worse at power management?
i used to have a good sig, but i'm all pc noooooooooooow!!!
dharm
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-21 08:41
can we use a p900 (1260 mAH) battery in a p800 & vice versa safely.
jeff the bike
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-21 15:39
Having a son working in Hungary, pleads for information on his P800 that has gone from 3 to 5 days on standby to 5 to 7 hrs compleatly flat. He tells me the battery is on the very warm side! Therefore I'm asking if anyone else has the same problem, and if so what did they do as a fix?
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-02-21 17:11
jeff the bike

Have a look at this thread - you may wish to contact jahed the Esato person who had a similar problem

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=50856#post664856
buluayam
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-21 17:22
I did an observation over last night and today, up to the time now when I'm posting this.

I charged my P900 up to 100% capacity last night, and removed the charged at approximately 9pm. It was on standby, ie I didn't use the phone at all, until this morning at 8.30am. I checked the battery capacity and it was at 96% after staying on for the whole night.

I then decided to play EScumm in bed as I was a lazy bugger who was supposed to get up to get some things done but didn't, and I played it for around an hour, and the battery capacity after that was at 64%. (truly a power hungry application!)

I then made a phonecall for around 20 minutes, and then proceeded to go out. During my time outside, I had Oggplayer on for an hour (on the bus and then during my stroll in town) and when I finally decided to switch it off the battery capacity had fallen to around 56%.

Another 2 hours in town (with a phonecall thrown in - only a short 5 minute call) and it was back home for me on the bus, with Oggplayer on again for around 45 minutes or so. Battery capacity, 40+ % (I can't remember the exact amount). And now it's on the charge! (BTW it's around 4.20pm now)

I personally think this is a fair consumption of battery power by the phone. If anyone else has any input to this, do add in! Otherwise I hope this is helpful for people out there who are unsure of their battery condition.

[ This Message was edited by: buluayam on 2004-02-21 16:24 ]
jeff the bike
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-21 18:10
Thanks to JAH for the reply, no he isin't using the phone at all, has insured that there is no programmes running, as we both have found to our cost leaving various things running will rapidly use battery life, not to the same extent. The main reason he has it on is in case of a contact from home. This is the first time he has had any sort of problem with it, being very content with its general use and the diffrent Progs. that has been added to make his job easy.
KSE
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-22 01:48
The person with the P800 battery problem (I forget the name, and am too lazy to switch back!)... How long have you had the P800 for? (or were you the one asking on behalf of your son?)...

I do believe that batteries gradually become worse until a day where they become all but unusable... whist I haven't read this specifically with regards to the phone to ascertain the amount of time in question, since a rechargeable battery is used, then I assume that after a certain number, usually in the hundreds, of charge and decharge cycles, a battery will become ready for disposal... My Li-Ion rechargeable digital camera battery for example will expire officially, after around 300-400 such charge decharge cycles... Ni-cads on the other hand can generally last a 1000 plus charge/decharges, but never last as long between charges in high drain devices in the first place...

It may just so transpire that it is about time you bought a new battery, and I find that that they are fairly reasonable around £30-£40 ish... though the better one would obviously be one sanctioned by SE I suppose...

To the person who bought the phone from CPW (Once again the name escapes me, apologies!)...

I had mine from there too, though did get a good deal some months ago now...

However, I noticed, and indeed mentioned on here previously, that they had clearly used the phone before I had it... there were pictures of their gaumless staff members and shop floor (yes, take that literally, the laminated wooden shop floor!)... Alarm bells ran initially, but the battery was doing well, until my recent Orange Firmware (so not the fault of CPW, as I write this some 3 months after purchase) update, where battery life has suffered mildly during standby, but more alarmingly during use... This may have changed, hopefully, after having charged it for well over 20 hours after letting it go flat last night... I decided to watch a film (well just over an hour of it) today whilst on a journey, using around 27% of the battery... judging by the intense usage of the phones hardware during the watchin of a full-screen, reasonably high quality MP4, with the sound up as high as it would go, as it was encoded a little overly quiet... I felt this was reasonable...

I should be most grateful if someone could post battery usage as experienced during MP4 playback, as I have never really bothered with it previous to today in order to have a benchmark for comparison...

Cheers in advance...
There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise.
- Gore Vidal (Although I didn't write it, from my perspective, I couldn't agree with it more!)
kit900
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-22 04:31
it's kinda annoying, my p900 lasts for only 1 FREAKING day. So daily recharge is needed...annoying!!!

marde
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-22 12:36
There must be something wrong with my p900, because the battery lasts about 4 days and it´s online 24/7. I talk with it about 1-2 hours per day, use gprs and bluetooth hf. I´m very pleased to my p900. Sorry my poor english skills...

[ This Message was edited by: marde on 2004-02-22 11:41 ]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-22 14:16
As I said before battery performance seems to be something of a personal thing, not uniform. Some people hhave reported great battery performance from the P800/900 whilst others seem to struggle to get more than a day's use out of their device.
I have recently had a replacement P900 becaus emy initial one was faulty, the new one doesn't appear to have the same stamina that the last one did. I am hoping that a few charge - discharge cycles will improve its performance and that taking all the usual steps will work.
Interestingly though, I am no longer using the much debated 'battery extender', perhaps an indication that it did in fact work? I might just pop it back in and see what happens.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
singe81
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-23 00:13
I dont have bluetooth or gprs on, diaplay blacks out after 1min etc. I have installed qfileman which has a tasklist thing so that should help. I nearly had a heart attack yesterday, after charging my phone on Friday night, it was fully charged by 2am, but by midday on Sarturday it was down to about 20%!! I rang CPW and told them I wanted a new battery, which I'm supposed to be getting tomoro, actually I'm just getting a replacement fone. I have now realised that GoBoy had been left running during the night so I think that is y the battery was so low soo quickly on that ocassion. Actually I tried to close Goboy but qfileman wont shut it down, so if I have it on I have to turn my phone off and on to get rid of it. But yeah I'm still gettin a replacement, hopefully this time without CPW staff pictures! I'll make sure it's a totally new one that hasnt yet been used!

But other than battery life, I love my beautiful P900, I promised myself 6 months ago I would own one, and now I do! It's a great attention seeker in work too heh!

[ This Message was edited by: singe81 on 2004-02-22 23:22 ]
KSE
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-23 04:55
The P900 grabs attention...

Well, no bugger really looks twice at mine... though it does look kind of old stylie and indeed large from a distance... moreso when the average Joe has a little flip effort, requiring magnification to see the buttons...

Nevermind, perhaps its better that people don't notice the phone, as this surely reduces the chance of theft...

This may also go some way to suggesting that the majority just don't recognise anything which isn't branded "Nokia", "Samsung" etc., and one which doesn't actually fold squarely in half... !
There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise.
- Gore Vidal (Although I didn't write it, from my perspective, I couldn't agree with it more!)
georgejason
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-04-02 12:29
Quote:

On 2004-02-23 04:55:24, KSE wrote:
The P900 grabs attention...

This may also go some way to suggesting that the majority just don't recognise anything which isn't branded "Nokia", "Samsung" etc., and one which doesn't actually fold squarely in half... !

I agree with KSE on this. but almost everybody who had seen the phone while i was using it walked up to me to find out what it was. Particularly I was browsing once and one person also said, "does it also have a phone attached?" well wat do i say? just smiled and said yes.
Begin at the beginning and end at the end.
For Indians
support and join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/se_india/
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi