Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Poor battery performance

123  Next
Author Poor battery performance
Guy H
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 14:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've had my P900 6 days now and the battery performance is poor. It lasts barely a day with moderate use. There is no way it would last 2 days!

How long is everybody elses battery lasting?

PS no bluetooth on or irda.
tbl
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 14:35
I wouldn't say I'm too impressed either.

I have SMan set to flush out all programs when the flip is closed.
BT and IrDa are turned off, but I get poor performance.

It aint the battery itself as I used my P800 baterry in it and had the same thing.

Aint so much of a problem as an annoyance.
Beninio
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 16:43
I was looking on another forum that delt with the Orange SPV E200 (it is known by different names depending on the service provider) and what they found is that by simply removing the memory card, the battery life would significantly improve. Members were saying that even if they did not access the card at all they found an improvment. I don't have a p900 so can't really say. I think it would be interesting if members could try this out and report back with their findings.
tbl
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 16:52
Not sure what you mean m8, the SPV e200 is a totally different phone.

The P900 is known as a P900 in all countries apart from the Asian markets!!

The SPV e200 is a Windows powered 'smart'-phone.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-19 16:53
Very interesting post there old boy. There is another thread on here 'Hot P900' in which there is currently a discussion concerning the affects a memory card seems to be having upon a chap's internet settings.
The power consumption issue has been debate dlong and hard on Esato for a good while now, I would recommend that you search the previous posts on this subject as all the basics will have been covered in them.
I would recommend, however, that you completely discharge your battery before you recharge it for the first couple of times. This way you build up the life expectancy of your battery much better than if you simply charge it whenever you want. After about a half dozen charges in this manner you can charge it whenever you wish.
It is also wise to note that certain applications soak up battery power more than others. If you access the internet a lot then this can have a profound effect upon battery life. Similary listening to music can also have a big effect on battery power, though Oggplayer seems much better at conserving power. For mor einformation on Oggplayer's power consumption see the 'Hot P900' thread I mentioned above.
Two further points; when you say 'moderate use', what exactly does that mean? Your definition of moderate use might be my definition of hevy use. It is also worth remembering that the area, in which you reside, can affect battery power. If you live in an area where there is a poor signal it will mean that your phone drains of power at an increased rate than if you are in an area with a good signal, the phone has to work harder to find and hold the signal (so I believe).
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Beninio
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 16:57
Some people reported that by taking out their expansion card on a different phone improved their battery life. Even though it is a totally different phone from the p900 I though the same may apply. It may not but whats the harm in trying? If it doesn't improve things then at least we can say that we have tried it.

[ This Message was edited by: Beninio on 2004-02-19 15:59 ]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-19 17:03
Yes it is definitely worth a try. I forgot to mention that there was a mammoth discussion on the use of a 'battery extender' some months ago now. The verdict is still out on it, I for one do believe that it works, as I did notice an appreciable difference in battery life having used it. However, others were very sceptical of it and claime dit didn't work. Decide for yourself.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Guy H
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 17:12
moderate use would be approx 10 mins of calls, 5 texts, quick check of e-mails and maybe play with a couple of apps totaling about 10-15 minutes of use.

I always disconnect from the net, kill apps and dont enable bluetooth.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-19 17:15
I'll grant you that you are not a 'heavy user', but as I mentioned before, there are still considerations such as poor signal, battery charging, etc
Of course you could always turn your phone off during the night, which would also help to conserve power. Do you use SMan?
Guy H
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 17:20
Yes I use Sman, I live near Leeds in a reasonably built up area.. Normally 3-4 bars on signal.

I'm going to see if it improves with a few more charging cycles. I need to keep my phone on at night as I have a tracker on my car and that is the main number they would call if it was stolen.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-19 17:27
Jolly good. I would definitely recommend putting it through a few cycles, you should notice the battery improving as you empty and charge it a few times. If it is still performing poorly then I would recommend taking it back, it will still be under warranty if its less than a year old (which it almost certainly is!).
tbl
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 17:28
Have it setup so when you're turned off it diverts calls to your house phone?

Just an idea, me personally, I never turn my mobile off.

My P800 got better after a few cycles, but it never was a great battery.
I'd expect the P900 to be slightly worse due to the faster processor and the improved display.

I'm normally able to charge it up daily, but it's still a pain.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-19 17:31
The P900 should perform slightly better than the P800. The P900 uses a higher capacity battery, which means that the increase in power needed for the better resolution display is compensated for. Additionally when it flip closed mode the portion of the screen covered by the flip is blank with no display, thus conserving power. The P800 displays a keypad on the portion of the screen covered by the flip because the P800 flip is mechanical and not electrical, thus requiring more power.
tbl
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 17:56
I was under the impression that the P800 and P900 batteries were identical, the BST-15.

In fact, I know they are, unless they've upped the rating for the P900 without changing the model number, which would be strange.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-19 18:24
As far as I am aware the P800 is a 1,000 mAh, whilst that of the P900 is 1250 mAh.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi