Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Poor battery performance

Previous  123  Next
Author Poor battery performance
shinyspoon
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 18:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The P900 uses a higher capacity battery then P800... I can normally get about 2-3 days use out of mine and that's making quite a few calls (about 2hrs day) and sending text messages throughout the day. I also use bluetooth for my car kit, so as far as I'm aware, the battery life is pretty good.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-19 19:04
My battery life is also reasonably good when compared with some of the 'horror' stories I've seen on here regarding battery life. My P900 is primarily used for business and I will admit to using it heavily throughout the day, even so my battery lasts for a decent length of time.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
switchbitch
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-19 19:18
Im gonna have to disagree with you scotsboy, painful as it is to do so, regarding the full charge/discharge conditioning of the (1260mAH) battery. Lithium polymer batteries do not exhibit "memory effect" in any shape or form, and do not improve performance through conditioning.
buluayam
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 19:19
Mine as well, I use my phone for calls, texting and pda functions (and quite often games and music as I travel around!) and I average 2-3 days between charges.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-19 19:49
@ switchbitch

I was reliably informed that there was a 'memory effect' regarding the P900 battery. I am not terribley knowledgeable in these matters so I will bow graciously to your superior understanding of the matter.
One point in my defence though is that after a few cycles I did notice my battery life getting better.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2004-02-20 01:25 ]
redninja
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-19 23:45
ive had my P900 for a wek now and ive had to charge it up everyday, even when ive not really used it as it goes down to almost empty by noon!! i did an initial 16hr charge (as opposed to the four hr charge it says to do in the manual)!!

i make sure i have no apps running, and i have hardly made any calls on it!!

its on orange, and i live in an area with good signal!!
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-20 02:31
I think that its likely to be a result of a localised subatomic quantum singularity in your vicinity. I do have another theory, but its a bit whacky, at the risk of public humiliation, I will post it anyway. Please don't laugh or flame me for being silly, but I suppose, and I know this will sound totally demented, your battery might be faulty.
Please don't think I'm a raving loon with a tea-spoon of custard hanging from his chops and howling at the carpet for this post. I assure you that I am completely and totally sane, you only have to look to my many other posts to see how sane I am. Anyway I'll wrap this up just now, I'm not allowed too much time online, if I go over the limit I'll loose my table tennis privelages in the recreation room.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
KSE
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-20 02:37
Scotty...

Table tennis privilege...?

They actualy allow you to have blunt objects such as the requisite bats for the aforementioned past time...?

Whatever is the world coming to?

They'll offer classes in such dangerous activities as crochet, cross stitch and what not before long...
There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise.
- Gore Vidal (Although I didn't write it, from my perspective, I couldn't agree with it more!)
mores
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-02-20 03:09
ninja ... do you have gprs or bluetooth on by any chance ?

(identify gprs = on by the little world icon and bluetooth = on by the <> icon next to the little blue "b" icon).

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-20 11:42
Battery performance is a funny thing, personally I have at least a chuckle and a giggle at it on a daily basis. One person with a P900 can use his phone almost non-stop and leave everything running and it seems that his battery lasts forever, yet others merely have to look at their P900 and its screaming a warning noise at them because of low battery power.
I wonder how easy it would be to use a hamster to power a P900?
sensei
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-20 16:42
Hey guys.

I seem to recharge my battery every other day so guess this is the norm. But it no way comes close to the claimed times. The battery should be conditioned now, but according to another thread on here there appears to be a high number of faulty BST-15 batteries. Not sure if this is true. Also the cold temperature can reduce the life of the battery, for those photographers amongst us, we always carry Li batteries in a pocket to warm them up before use especially in cold weather. I found that my T68 battery life lasted longer in warm weather than in cold weather. I'm going to follow the tips on here to see if I can increase my battery life further. Bluetooth always eat batteries like anything, it did on my T68 so I expect more of the same on the P900. To answer the charge that 4 hours is not long enough to fully charge up the battery then they are wrong.

Using the formula:
(capacity x 1.4)/ 450 (output of charger)

then you get a figure less than 4 hours in other words the battery is fully charged by then. You can also use the utility at

http://greenbatteries.com/

to prove this for yourselves, which uses a different formula.
More information about rechargable batteries can be found at:

http://www.copquest.com/battery_tips.pdf

Interestingly I found my old T68 charger the other day and the output is rated at 0.65A in other words this will charge your phone much quicker than the new SE chargers rated at 450mA. There is an argument whether rapid charging decreases battery life and vice versa.

A useful tip for those wishing to discharge their battery, trying using your phone to charge up a CAR 100 and once the battery is fully discharged then plug your phone in to recharge fully. Maybe we should mass email SE about the battery issues and see how they respond. Maybe we all might get new batteries?
deevonn
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-02-20 18:17
I charged my batttery in about 00:00 everyday,
and use the phone normally, few calls , sms, games, but no MP3.

then at about 00:00 on the next day, it already almost empty, 25percent left.
so that is my daily routine to put the phone on it;s cradle to charge , everyday, before i go to sleep
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-20 18:18
25% is hardly almost empty.
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-20 21:11
I must agree with you there old boy! 25% isnt 3/4 empty, it's 1/4 full! Some people... Honestly! i sometimes think that people here think that because an apple's round, a bannana should be 2 and all that because the world is, as proved by the flintstones, as "flat as a pancake". tut tut what hey! toodill pipp hooray! Im bored...
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-20 22:47
sorry if that freaked any1 out...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi