Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > GSM Triband Phones in USA (Cingular)

123  Next
Author GSM Triband Phones in USA (Cingular)
Thorin78
Z600
PM
Posted: 2004-01-25 01:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Cingular switched protocol on their GSM network. This means that if a place receives both 850/1900 band it will use 850. If the location has no coverage for 850, it will jump to 1900 and you will have reception. So if you have a phone that supports 900/1800/1900 bands, like me, you will not get reception on your phone at all most of the time. Even if your friend standing right next to you has full reception. This is because Cingular has more 850 coverage than 1900. And they will continue to increase their 850 coverage in the future.

This switch was placed 1 week after I got the cingular service. Oh what a pain it has been. I'm on the Northeast of the US.
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-01-25 06:50
Oh man, I hope that is not the case in the Pacific Northwest. If problems arise I still have another triband phone (Nokia 3200 850/1800/1900) that Cingular provided me with. I guess I should keep that as a backup instead of selling it.

Tairocnore
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 14:09
Do you mean 800/1800/1900? Because that would work vary well in the US (800 and 850 are the same thing). 900/1800/1900 does exist though, and I feel sorry for you if you have that. With a 900/1800/1900 triband phone, you're only going to be utilizing one band (1900) and that only works in metropolitan areas -I don't care who your provider is.

It would be wise of you to go purchase a new phone. SE has all of their models (most via their website) available in 800/1800/1900mhz. That will work almost anywhere in the US, and most places in Europe, and other countries.

PS. It's not a protocal, it's a band. They switched their bands around. And you're special.
RichLok
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 17:02
You should not have this problem if you have a nationwide plan (no roaming charges). You will pick up the 1900mhz if it's available from other carriers.
wapt
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 17:32
A triband phone like T616 is the choice for Cingular user.

This message was posted from a P800

whytoi
T630
PM
Posted: 2004-06-28 02:36
I was in LA early this month with a T-Mobile EasySpeak SIM on my T68i. I have to say that the signal strength weren't bad all around the LA basin. But the pain comes from all the drop-outs. With 4 bars, I would regularly lose my connection after 3 minutes. This happened on the freeways or on the 40th floor in downtown LA. I couldn't believe how painful it was.

And I assume that T-Mobile is really partnering and using Cingular's network. Is that right? Was the problems encountered to do with this 800 vs 850 band issue?
P99
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-06-28 20:49
Quote:

And I assume that T-Mobile is really partnering and using Cingular's network. Is that right? Was the problems encountered to do with this 800 vs 850 band issue?

T-Mobile bought Cingular's network in CA/NV about a +/- month ago.
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-06-29 21:05
I just have a very simple 'Q' here for all people who lives in the US and uses the Cingular Network. My friend just bought a 2nd hand fone here in Manila. The fone's price was quite OK, considering it's an outdated model-but really looks great, covers are scratchless, fones performance is in tip-top condition! It's a tri-band fone which is locked with Cingular Network in the US. When my friend bought it, it has already been 'open-lined' here in Manila, and accepts all local celfone networks, signal strength is outstanding as well! Now my 'Q' is this, what if the original owner of the said fone in the US had the fone 'lined' (having fixed or not monthly fone bills), and forgot to pay the fone's bills, if still under contract or what, and the Cingular network decided to cut-off my friend's fone line Will it result to a dead fone now Many of the celfone technician people that I know here says that there will be no problem with it 'cause the fone has been 'open-lined' already in Manila, it's fate will now lie on the sim-card the fone is currently using locally. What about the distance, can Cingular cut-off my friend's fone here from it's place of origin in the US to my country I really admire the fone's physical appearance and functions as well . . . . I just hope that he'll not be encountering some future troubles with the fone. The fone is running on it's 2nd week now Thanks !
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-29 21:55
When you have a 900/1800/1900 GSM phone, the only real choice you have in the US is T-Mobile. If you use that tri-band phone on a Cingular/ATT network you will get reception, because they overlay the 850 with the 1900. However, the 850 is higher quality and reaches farther. Meaning if you have a 900/1800/1900 GSM phone and your provider is Cingular/ATT you will have less coverage and your signal will drop off faster away from main coverage areas. To optimize your coverage go with T-Mobile if you have a 900/...phone and go with Cingular/ATT when you have a 850/1800/1900 phone.
Most SE phones are 900/1800/1900, so T-mobile is the obvious choice. They are the only true GSM carrier in the US, because outside the US you will barely find carrier that use the 850band. Again if you travel abroad and want to use your phone use 900/1800/1900 and T-Mobile.

Cheers
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-06-29 22:01
@residentevil - No comment/feedback on my post, any ideas Thanks!
Marcebra
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-06-29 22:08
I just called up cingular and they told me that right now they provide 1900 band with signal. When I told the tech support perosn that I'm planning on upgrading to a k700 which doesnt use the 850 band, she said that it might not work in the future. I asked her when that will happen and she said that it's only in the planning stages and that it's not definate yet. She also told me that the international roaming charges are going to go up soon(I told her that I'm going out of the country soon and wanted to know when the rates change as to not get caught off guard while out of the country and she told me to call her up right before I leave, lol). She mentioned that the international text messaging charge (to send out of the country or to send or recieve while in another country) will be raised from $.10 to $.20 effective July 1st.

So now I'm not sure if I want to invest in the K700 if it wont work in America in the future.

[ This Message was edited by: Marcebra on 2004-06-29 21:37 ]
bacanito
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-29 22:38
This is precisely why I hate north-american cell phone operators...little rules here and there, lil modifications to the network that just happen to affect users who have technology that works EVERYWHERE, except in this little corner of the world...These are differences that gnaw at me...like why do you need PAL, SECAM and NTSC for videos? Or why did you have to choose between VHS and BETA many years ago? Why different voltage in Europe and in America?? Why change from 1900 to 850?? Anyways, the answer is probably that they're release a whole bunch of 850 Mhz phones out in the future, and people will have to ditch their other phones and buy theirs...blah, this post gives you an idea of what kind of mood I'm in today...
"Knowing how the game works doesn't make you a player."
Bacanito's Canadian Forum
bacanito
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-29 22:41
@ jojo

Sorry, had to edit cuz I hadnt read your whole post properly...

I would normally think that any billing issues would be tied to the SIM card being used, not the actual handset, unless they have a different system in the U.S.

Has he tried other SIM cards in that phone?

[ This Message was edited by: bacanito on 2004-06-29 21:45 ]
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-06-29 22:52
@bacanito - YUP! very much same thoughts here mate ! The billing solely depends on the sim card and not on the celfone/handset itself ! I'm quite sure that the fone will be safe here in my friend's place right now, as it allows usage of different local networks -open line applied on the fone ! I am just awaiting for any violent/untoward reactions from some of our members who lives in the US - if any Thanks again mate!
bacanito
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-29 23:06
@ jojo

If it were a CDMA/TDMA phone, there are no sim cards, so your friend would be screwed...I used to work for a CDMA operator (Bell Mobility) and we had something called a "negative file" where serial numbers of lost/stolen handsets were place to prevent use. The handsets of people who wouldn't pay their bills would also be place into that negative file, making the phone useless...can't be used, can't be activated...but I've never heard anything of that kind with GSM phones...
"Knowing how the game works doesn't make you a player."
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi